Opinions - Anything for anxiety that isnt addicting?

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by Tavz, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Tavz

Tavz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Are there any drugs available for anxiety that arent addicting, or at least not to addicting? I was on Xanax for 5 months, it was great at first until I had to keep upping my dose to kill the anxiety. Also, when I stopped I experienced the most horrible withdrawls ever, I wanted to die.

Now Im sure there probably arent any that arecompletely non-addicting but maybesome longer lasting ones that are less addicting. Perhaps a benzo that I would only have to take maybe once every few days. I have pretty severe anxiety. I am currently prescribed Lexapro but it only seems to help depression. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think that this is probably a discussion to have with your doctor. Did you start on Xanax? You do need to taper off of it otherwise it can be really bad to get off of. I am on low doses of Ativan (which is much weaker than Xanax) and I find that it does work well. But only a doctor can really provide the right solution for your anxiety. There might be a few false starts, but just keep going back and telling him how the drug makes you feel. Eventually you should find one that works right for your body. Good luck.

3. BrandonAA

BrandonAA Newbie

Reputation Points:
    try not to take it everyday if you can.

4. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Try phenibut? Its fairly cheap and is sold in bulk by a nutrition site, use google.

Tolerance builds fast but is at least as effective as a weak benzo, legal too.

I notice no addictive potential, not much recreational potential either
    beyond just chilling out. Some people on newsgroups claim they got
    addicted to it but I doubt it.

Edited by: unico_walker

5. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    There isn't much for severe anxiety, anything really strong tends to be addicting (benzos, etc).

Depends what kind of anxiety too, is it more like general anxiety or panic attacks? If it's panic attacks, beta blockers like atenolol and propranolol help with some of the physical symptoms like rapid heartbeat, sweating, etc. For general anxiety it's hard to find anything really potent that isn't also addictive. There's all sorts of weak blah crap here and there, nothing really good tho AFAIK.Edited by: Nicaine

6. Red_Baran

Red_Baran Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    a lot of times they will treat you with some kind of SSRI, or oncei was perscribed seroquel for anxity how ever i do not recomend any of these drugs because they did more bad to me then good, but every one reacts diffrently .

also i hurd klonipin's are the lest adicting in the benzo familyEdited by: Red_Baran

7. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    There are various different methods for dealing with anxiety. Drugs are one of them and for occasional use they can be very effective. However, as you have discovered, when used more intensively over an extended time they have a downside. Whether or not you find a better drug to use, you may want to consider other methods of coping with and reducing the anxiety. Part of the experience of anxiety often involves a tensing of the body ā€“ learning and practicing methods to relax the body can help. Various thoughts may contribute to anxiety, and learning to consciously challenge those thoughts and possibly to replace them with more positive or realistic thoughts may prove helpful. I just did a quick search on google and there is lots of info on anxiety treatment ā€“ you are already aware of the corporate-made, long-term profit-oriented, medical-modeldrug option, so Iā€™d suggest learning more about the alternatives to that.

8. bubaloo

bubaloo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Try ghb, IMO this is one of the best drugs for killing anxiety and it has a low addiction potential, although people do get hooked after extended periods.

Try having a look at the GHB Forum here

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  9. dmax

dmax Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    transit has a good point. learning to influence your mood and
    thoughts conciously is important. in fact, I feel like this ought
    to be the first line of defense, and drugs as a last resort. of
    course, I'm sure you've tried to kill the anxiety without the use of
    drugs, so this type of advice may be unnecessary. still, don't
    get discouraged if coping without the use of drugs doesn't seem to work
    at first. keep on trying, even if you occasionally do use drugs
    to help yourself.

10. tinogsx

tinogsx Newbie

Reputation Points:
  11. skitz0frantic

skitz0frantic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Everything in the world is addicting. When they say a medication is "non addictive) they mean physically... as in, your bodywont build a tolerance to it. (you wont need more and more as time goes by to get the same effect) I tried to sucker sum nice benzos (which are physically addicting) from my doctor, but she gave me Paxil instead, which is not physically addicting. So your best bet would maybe to go on an SSRI or MAOI (which can be very helpful if your correctly diagnosed, and given a good dosage to start). In my personal opinion, anything and everything is addicting, physically or not. So either way, its all in the head. But at least if you get prescribed an SSRI or MAOI, your dosage wont have to change once you've reached a comfortable state, because you will not build a physical tolerance to it.

12. Cure20

Cure20 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Canada
    Try Celexa. My girlfriend takes it on a regular basis and has never been addicted to it, even when she wasn't taking it for 2 months she never acted like she needed it.

13. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I define physical addiction as having withdrawl symtoms where you are physically unable to quit cold turkey after over use.

So opiates, alchohol, GHB+GBL, and benzos fall into this catagory.

14. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There are several diffrent non-addicting drugs that treat anxiety. SSRI's can do alot to help anxiety, but for some they just don't do enouph, as they tend to help with depretion more. There are other drugs that are more specificly for anxiety, Buspar works well in combo with an SSRI. but there are many diffrent kinds.

MAOIs are not something you want to take. They have harable drug interactions with just about everything. They are rarely perscribed anymore unless you have harable major depretion that nothing else is working on. MAOI's have bad side effects and bad intereactions with common drugs, and foods. here is just a little list of common drugs to avoid when you take MAOIs:

-All SSRIs (prozac, zoloft, and several other anti-depressants)
    -Demerol
    -Cold preparations (tablets, capsules, or liquids such as Comtrex)
    -Cough medications containing decongestants, Dextromethorphan (DXM)1, or Demerol
    -Sinus medications
    -Nose drops or nasal sprays
    -Nasal decongestants
    -Hay fever medications
    -Diet pills
    -Amphetamines
    -MDMA
    -MDE, MDA, and other "MD" compounds
    -Cocaine

Talk to your doctor, there are tons of diffrent meds and one of them will work.

http://www.crazymeds.org/- Great site all about diffrent meds

Best of Luck,
    Mike

15. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    the only non benzo that worked for my anxiety was buspar, but i just prefer benzos, if u want 1 that isnt so addictive stick to klonopin or better yet ativan, though with this comes weaker effects, the stronger the med, usually the more addictive

16. tonyxxy

tonyxxy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o
    Can someone explain what symptoms one should belooking for. What is anxiety? Can someone provide examples on how they feel sometimesand describe those feelings in detail?

17. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Anxiety Symptoms: sweaty palms, racing thoughs, stomich pains/cramps, fast breathing, dry mouth, rapid heartbeat, tightness or pains in chest, insomnia ex.

Anxiety is that feeling you got before you had to go on stage in front of all your peers. Anxiety is when your up all night worrying about your exam the next day. Everyone experances Anxiety in their life. Its when anxiety becomes an everyday problem in your life that it becomes a "disorder"

18. skitz0frantic

skitz0frantic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

Thats true, you cant take MAOI's with alot of other shit, BUT .. MAOI's are really effective. More effective then some SSRI's. They arent prescribed too often these days, but in special cases they are because they can help alot in certain situations, I dont recommend MAOI's if you can really do without it and find an SSRI that will help in the same effect.

19. the gap

the gap Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i was on lexapro, which didn't help my anxiety and switched to zoloft. too soon to know if it works, though.

20. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Take xanax less often, and smoke weed on the other days.