APAP (acetaminophen) vs. Ibuprofen

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by asd, Mar 1, 2006.

1. asd

asd Guest

Reputation Points:
    Vicodin has APAP. Vicoprofen has Ibuprofen.

What is the diff. in regards to liver damage. Is Ibuprofen better or are the same in that regards?

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm a bit rusty on my nonsteroidal antiinflammatories but I think that APAP is far worse for your liver, especially if its mixed with alcohol. However, Ibuprofen works a bit better at binding a certain class of enzymes responsible not only for inflammation, but protecting your stomach lining from stomach acid. So with long term use or high dosages, it might be worse for your stomach. you's best bet might be cold water extraction no matter what you's doing, then You wont have to worry about either form of damage. However since ibuprofen is prescribed to up to 800 mg doses, 4 vicoprofen with 200 mg of ibuprofen each would probably be fairly safe, assuming one isn't using them all the time.

3. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Correct. APAP-->bad for liver.

Ibuprophen-->bad for kidneys and stomach lining.

4. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    CWE them no matter what. If your talking in the sense of long term therapeutic pain releif, you could possibly go back and forth but I would imagine the doctor would give you an opiate/opioid only painkiller for longterm use. Too much of either ibuprofen or APAP can do some nasty damage, both are removed by the exact same procedure.

5. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Good advice bcStoner. The only problem with bcStoner's approach is that many people actually prefer the hydrocodone to any other opiods. Even prefer it to oxy. Problem is that hydro doesn't come by itself. only in cough syrup formulations like Tussionex and some others--and even then you usually have some kind of anti-histamine or guafenesin added. Most people don't notice these additives; anti-histamines can actually increase the effects of the hydro. But beware especially of those syrups containing pseudoephedrine. You probably don't want 200mg of pseudo coursing thru your veins when you were expecting a hydro experience!

thanks, Dick

Tags: