Appetite increasing properties of Marijuana reversed?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Akewstick, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I remember a time when, regardless of whether he'd just eaten or if he hadn't eaten properly for ages, getting stoned would awake in him a passion for specific types of food, the typical weed munchies.

I have eaten 2 meals in about 5 days, and 10 minutes ago was ridiculously hungry. He decided to test out his hypothetical theory that the munchie-inducing effects of weed had been reversed. I am pretty high right now, and the thought of eating just seems pointless to him. He could eat if he tried, but he wouldn't be particularly enthusiastic about it.

Any of you yous think they've experienced this?

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hmmm it may be psychological. Normally, even when I am starving, he loves to smoke some bud to help extend his munchies and allow him to eat more. But after SWIM read your post the first time he realized he was hungry from having had very little to eat today, and he smoked a large bowl about a half hour ago. He is feeling a little hungry, but it is just not as appealing to him. So yes to conclude, I think it may just be psychological:confused:

1. 4/5,
      insightful interpretative passionate open-minded peaceful
      May 1, 2007
  3. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't find these characteristics to be true, SWIM eats whenever he feels like it, stoned or not. Tobacco, back when I smoked, used to cut his appetite and instead of having a snack during his breaks at work, he had a cigarette. SWIM probably lost around 20pounds in a year by doing so, not just at work. SWIM quit smoking about 4months ago and is almost back to his normal weight and still smokes plenty of weed.

4. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I have lost his appetite after smoking half a year pretty much every day. He eats just because he has to, and finds it frustrating. Today he run out of weed and is going to keep some kind of pause to see if it's from weed. He isn't hungry even when he is high nowadays. Well, he is a bit and food is tasty, but it's nothing like it used to be. When he first began to smoke weed eating was nothing short of orgasmic.

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Satisfying the reefer munchies has gotta be about the closest us as humans will be able get to a continuous orgasm (or at least one that lasts as long as you're eating), with the added benefit of no mess to clean up afterwards! :D

6. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium
    Well as a big (ex- ???) smoker, I say it totally depends on the strain. Some strains make him eat all the food he finds in his room untill he feels he can't move or he will puke. Other strains make him eat only about once a day just because he feels way to lazy/ not hungry enough to get/make food.

7. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I feel that if one uses cannabis heavily, as in smoke a joint 1st thing
    in the morning, eating becomes something less important, something one
    must even force oneself to do.

If one smokes only now and then, munchies are inevitable though. :D

Also, if SWIM just recently had a smoke, he doesn't fell like eating at all.
    The munchies usually kick in only 30 - 60 minutes after smoking.

Anybody feel the same?

8. schwing

schwing Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's actually never experienced eating binge after cannabis use but that maybe because he/she has a generally low appetite to begin with. Also, I don't smoke very much (usually no more than a quarter of an 8th) and not very often.

9. lulz

lulz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    On the one hand, medical researchers think marijuana helps people gain weight if they are underweight, due to AIDS treatment or elderly and anorexic:

http://www.projinf.org/fs/marijuana.html
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/ww_en_db_study_show.php?s_id=188

On the other hand, medical researchers think marijuana helps obese people lose weight:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/284/2/R343

Bottom line, as always, is that even the experts don't really have a fucking clue how our brains works.

10. AlwaysBlazed

AlwaysBlazed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM eats alot when hes stoned, but in all, they have lost a good amount of weight since beginning their everyday habit. Grass may not make you want to eat but if you need help with eating it's your best bet. If that doesn't help then you should go see somebody for eating disorders.

11. Strykar

Strykar Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    When I started smoking, a daily session with friends would end up in a cafe munching on cream rolls and tea.

After doing the same 5 years in a row, the trend reversed itself.
    I would come home and the sight of food would turn him off.

Anything could trigger this, if the food seemed oily, it woud kill appetite, if it seemed like something SWIM wanted yesterday, the desire to eat it has gone today.

Most long-term smokers I know are skinny, don't each much.
    And yeah, don't exercise at all.