1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Storing - Are 8 Year Old Mushrooms Still Good?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by GraciousMrMiner, Sep 12, 2012.

1. GraciousMrMiner

GraciousMrMiner Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    There was a movie where the main character had mushrooms way back in 2004 (8 yrs). The character then goes on "vacation" and has since returned. Forgetting about the stash, he rummages through old room and to his surprise, crash lands upon the mushrooms which must have been laughing at him this whole time. Happy Happy Birthday!! Hanging out in the same baggie, dried, they look the same and smell much like he remembers. He believes there is only one way to know if they're good. Before this, should there be any concern? Of course with any living organism (fungi) there is risks. Understanding there may be loss of potentcy even complete loss, health is paramount and would like to enjoy the fireworks like 2004 all over again. May just have to take the plunge and remember to come up for air

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Re: Are Mushrooms still good?

are they covered in mold or bugs? IF it's mold, then no, toss them. If there are a few moths, a little protein fortification never hurt most people. If they are clean, then the worse that can happen is nothing.

Despite all the concerns about drugs breaking down over time, I've had a number of POTENT experiences with old mushrooms that were poorly kept, ground up, years old, and even damp for the final week before consumption.

BTW they haven't been alive for a VERY long time.

3. GraciousMrMiner

Reputation Points:

No molds, no bugs or undefinable matter. Actually look the exact same as way back when. Same texture and smell. They are dry but not crispy, don't break apart and crumble, just dry. They give a little when bent. One stem was split open and looked inside to see for mold, negative. Next step is waiting for the ideal situation, get sunshades and enjoy:cool:

4. Atidd11

Atidd11 Newbie

Reputation Points:

Have u got to eat them?

5. GraciousMrMiner

Reputation Points:

Will give feedback and results as soon as possible

6. HellKat

HellKat Silver Member

Reputation Points:

In that movie SWIY could do a simple extraction and feel comfortable knowing that any yield would most assuredly be the desired alkaloids.

7. Routemaster Flash

Routemaster Flash Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

Don't think an extraction is necessary. Psilocybin is a fairly stable molecule and should still be good. I think dried samples of mushrooms decades or even hundreds of years old have been analyzed and found to still have psilocybin in them.

8. snarkymalarky

snarkymalarky Newbie

Reputation Points:

Maybe you could make a tea and add some alcohol? I don't know for sure if alcohol will damage the active alkaloids, so someone who knows needs to comment on this, but it could ease your mind. It would be lousy to be tripping and wondering if you ate mold or poisoned yourself...

9. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:

It seems VERY unlikely that mold would develop on a dry food, moth damage is going to be FAR more of an issue. The fact that the OP has mentioned they saw no contamination is a pretty good indicator that there is no need to be worried about mold.

10. Routemaster Flash

Routemaster Flash Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

If they've been kept dried, have no visible mould on them and smell OK (or rather, as OK as dried mushrooms ever smell) then they're very probably fine. People who pick edible mushrooms from the wild often dry them to preserve them, and once fully dried and properly stored they'll keep almost indefinitely. Don't see why psilocybes would be any different.

11. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:

bacteria could be a issue... maybe soak them in some honey( good quality honey containing hydrogen peroxide, kills most bacteria .. go for organic honey ) for a day or 2.

swim ate shrooms which didn't smelled bad but still caused a terrible stomach upset... better be safe than sorry.

12. LSD BILOTTA

LSD BILOTTA Newbie

Reputation Points:

afoafs stoamch always seems to hurt when shrooming. could it be caused by bacteria present on the shrooms and not the shrooms itself? i nver thought of that but if soaking them can ensure a stomach that doesn't hurt while tripping it's worth it.

13. Nickelass

Nickelass Silver Member

Reputation Points:

The tissue fibers from the shrooms can cause stomach upset because it's more difficult to digest, only way bacteria would be a problem is if it can cause food poisoning which will have many more symptoms than a simple stomach ache. Try grinding them up almost to a powder, it's easier to digest this way and will greatly reduce the stomach upset.

14. Dan5000p

Dan5000p Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so,...did he take them and is he still kickin??

15. Reclaimer

Reclaimer

Reputation Points:
    He' ate 8 year old shrooms, hes prolly on an 8 year trip.. Check back in 2020 might have a reply ;)

Btw you just bumped a 3 year old thread ;) I doubt hes going to tell you what happened now if he has not already.

16. Mrhanky172

Mrhanky172 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My dog ate some 5+ year old shrooms. They were very potent originally but he said they lost all their potency and didn't do much. These were kept dry in the dark. So it is true they can be degraded over time

17. GraciousMrMiner

Reputation Points:
    Peace and Blessings. I'm alive and still kickin. No I am not recovering from an 8 year trip! Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to this thread but felt its necessary to update.
    On a binge of PCP ( drug of choice) I mishandled the shrooms and lost them.
    Stay thirsty my friends, and remain responsible

18. nuke

nuke Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o
    The advice I have read online is that if the shrooms (or truffles) aren't kept suitably (e.g. frozen) that they lose their potency and can pose a health hazard after several years.

I would always err on the side of caution myself; the last thing that would enhance a psilocybin trip would be a bad reaction to food.

I have never eaten shrooms that old though so can't validate.