Health - Are All Psilocybin Mushrooms Low in Toxicity?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Dalfir, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Dalfir

Dalfir Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Colorado, U.S.A.
    I've heard that psilocybe cubensis is a relatively low toxic species of mushroom. Is this consistent through all of its strains? (golden teacher, etc)

I understand that the fly agaric species is physically dangerous

I know that there's a lot of species of psilocybin containing mushrooms such as P. baeocystis and P. azurenscens. Are all these species non-toxic as well? I know that the actual psilocybin isn't considered dangerously toxic, but do these different species of mushrooms contain dangerous toxins? By this I mean will they induce vomiting and stomach cramps, fever and possibly death?

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    AFAIK none of the psilocybe mushrooms contain harmful compounds. (Psilocybe is the genus)
    Although there are species of the Amanita genus which contain psilocybin. Be it in trace amounts, but still an interesting thing. Many mushrooms of the amanita Genus do contain toxic compounds.
    Golden teacher is a variety of psilocybe cubensis. It is not a different species. Therefore there is no difference between the substances in Golden teacher and other psilocybe cubensis/ stropharia cubensis varieties.

3. Dalfir

Dalfir Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Colorado, U.S.A.
    Cool, the amita species contains Muscimol as the main psychoactive compound, right? But yeah, I've heard that it's also signifigantly more toxic than psilocybe 'shrooms.

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Muscimol, Ibotenic acid and Muscarine. It is debatable if muscarine contributes to the psychoactive effects of Amanita's.