Opinions - Are Branded Benzodiazepines or Generics Better?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Bojangles, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Bojangles

Bojangles Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jatelka EDIT: Please note that this is a combined thread, so that the earlier posts are from before the "No Self Incrimination" Rule came into play

I swear that brand name Xanax is way stronger and gives me a different high then the generic alprazolam (such as G.G.) Also my friend swears brand name Valium ( the ones with the cut out V) are much better and different than generic Diazepam...Maybe i'm crazy but I swear I can tell the difference, has anyone else ever noticed this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  2. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yes, there are slight differences that I have noticed also. The company's manufacturing these cannot veer to far from the general makeup of the drugs they are offering as generic.

3. alex99

alex99 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yesi havenoticed italso. my doctor told me this about my generic meds is that the percentage of "real" stuff in it can vary greatly.in the brand name stuff it is always has say 95-100% (i dont remember the exact numbers so i am makeing them up) and the generic can vary from 80-100%. so i dont know if you have them from different batches but that could be why some seem less strong

4. Hollywood

Hollywood Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    55 y/o from U.S.A.
    I went to the Doctor today and got the generic Xanax, footballs and I think they are just as good. And I also get the generic Norco, Watson and they are just as good as Brand name to me. I am so wasted...........................................................................................

Hollywood

5. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, not all generic alprazolam is so bad, I have had some generics which seemed rather weak, but I've also had generics which were indistinguishable from Upjohn brand in their effects.

6. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you can , ALWAYS ,go with the brand names,there potentcy are better than most generics. Thats not saying all generics are weak. Some generics are just fine ,but you will find out by experimenting whats best for you.

7. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's incorrect. Generics are the same active chemical as namebrands.

Thanks for the sunday school lesson; I think we covered those ideas in highschool basic philosophy classes. Please keep that mumbo jumbo in the religion and philosophy section. Thanks :p

8. Pinkavvy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Oggy - Give us some sources. Let's see some evidence that says you're right and every pharmacist in the world is wrong.

Show me some evidence that brand names make a differance. This fact will change the way pharmacies operate; you're on the verge of revolution here .. just need some evidence.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  9. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Well I had some valium made by cox uk brand and swims had valium made by roche and its no where near as strong. Edit. Could be my tolerance or fakes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  10. Pinkavvy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    No, fool, we wont continue this at all. I'm done. I wont argue with you. Open your mind to learning, and you'll go alot farther in this fourm, and in the world. your opinion of a pill being weaker is not proof of evidence. perhaps your tolorance is differant? or more likely, perhaps you had a smaller dose size. The FACT is that generic pills have the same active chemical as the namebrand. Just because the binders used and binder ratio may be differant, does not make the pill weaker, usually the binder ratio differance is to make harder to abuse. The reality is that a 1mg pill contains 1mg of active ingredient. Next you're going to tell me that a 5/500 Vicodin brand hydrocodone is stronger than a watson brand 5/500 hydrocodon/apap pill.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  11. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:

About generics, here in the US and probably in the UK ,generic standards are alowed 20% of the original patent. Beleive me when I say generics have a lower standard and are not equal to the original patent. Generics differ from brand to brand , but generally they are weak compaired to the name brand. Don't beleive everything you read. They might have the same chemical properties but they ARE weaker.

12. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Brands do make a difference. Binders, standardisation of ingredients and actual mg per pill will vary by brand. Although pinkavvy you are right saying that the active principle will be the same.

13. oggy

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Ok. But its ok to get high on many other drugs but not self proscribe xanax?

I only take 1mg at a time and dont use it all the time.

14. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    bzp's are known for their fast and pretty nasty addictions.

For me personally i stay away from the easy drugs. Easy to find, easy to take, people cant tell your using, slight to no hangover, some are even dirtcheap. Its to easy to abuse those kind.
    Beware of any drug you can use daily without to much trouble is my motto (weed thought me that lesson a looong time ago).

15. Yeahsme

Yeahsme Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes but the quantity of the active chemical varies greatly from generic to generic to brand. I have worked as a tech in several pharmacies over the past few years and have heard pharmacists talk about this. Lets say generic valium may say that it has 10mg diazepam per pill, but in actuality it could have only 8.8. Now that the United States has allowed generics to be brought in from foreign countries, I would be very wary of what I'm getting. I'd go with the brand any day unless it just costs waaaaay to much.

16. Pinkavvy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeahsme- There is always a slight variation is ratios of any pill production, including namebrands. However for a pill to be prescribed in the united states, it must meet average standard ratios of active chemical dosage. So if it claimes to be 1mg of active chemical, or 10mg, it must be close enough on an average random sample to meet standards. They can't claim 10mg and consistantly be at 8.8mg, as they are held to the same dosing average standards that the namebrands are. There is always a variable, but not by much, and not anymore often then namebrands. Hence pharmacist/insurance/patients have a right to chose a generic brand rather than a namebrand. A brand can't mislabel the dosage incriment, just as a patient or isurance company can't decide to change the prescribed treatment/dosage that a doctor decides to prescribe.

17. oggy

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Maybe in the US that is but in my opinion ordering from IOP's brands make a difference.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  18. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    what is IOP's oggy?.maybe there are differences in the varitaitons of potecy of generics compared with regular brand name pills,between the U.S and the U.K, but i doubt it, cause different drugs manufacturers produce thier pills in different places all over the world

19. dopenose77

dopenose77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ativan vs. Generic Lorazepam

I am prescribed lorazepam and is curious after reading some debate on the fourm, has anyone had experience with both Ativan and its generic counterpart? I've only taken generics thus far to save money but if the name brand is any better I'll give it a go.

20. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's had experience with both and honestly can't tell the difference. subjectively, they feel the same. now generic diazepam and valium, on the other hand...I have noticed a qualitative decline in quality with the generic version.