Are Dried Poppies Hard to Find in Your Area?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by SumoCat, Aug 23, 2006.

1. SumoCat

SumoCat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hi all,

Wasn't sure which forum this should go in exactly, so please forgive me if its off-topic here.

So, the question: Are Dried Poppies Hard to Find In Your Area? And by that, I mean can you find them at your local florist or craft store?

The reason for SWIM's question is pretty basic. SWIM wanted to find dried poppies locally before buying them online. Where she lives, SWIM'S had no luck with this, other than finding a small retailer who is contacting a wholesaler on her behalf. Still no word back on that option yet, though.

Has the DEA/paranoia really driven dried poppies out of places like Hobby Lobby and Michael's? Does it depend on the state one resides in?

Just really curious as to why dozens of internet retailers can sell dried poppies by the case, but you can't find even a 1/2 dozen in a regular store.

-Sumo

2. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I haven't seen any, but really hasn't looked very hard. Also, would they be labelled as "Ornamental Poppy Pods" or something, or would you just have to 'know'?
    Good question, I want to look a bit harder, thanks for the reminder :)

3. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I have looked pretty hard at all the nurseries and craft stores in his area for both live poppy pods and ornimental poppy pods and come up with nothing at all. Hes only found plastic pods sold with other fake flowers. He was wondering the same thing good question.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I has never seen dried pods available in retail stores...be they craft stores or flower stores. but they are widely available online. swim guesses that it varies by the area one lives in though, dried poppy arranging might be more popular in certain places than others, he doesnt think its against the law per se to sell them retail though.

5. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I get his from an online wholesaler in the UK, very cheap and he does say theyre very good too.

6. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think That it was around the turn of the milleneum that dried pods stopped being sold anywhere except online. For a short while after that they were sold, but with a laquer coating that would make one quite sick.
    By the way - Hey all - I'm back after one helluva summer living out of a van (which got destroyed when a mountain recklessly careened into my driving path).
    Peace all
    Mrjim

7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    welcome back mrjim!
    yes, for as long as swim can remember, dried pods have not been sold in stores. he has only been using opiates for about 5 or 6 years, so this coincides with what swimrjim says.

8. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Michael's crafts and a few other places used to sell them in 10 or 25 pod packs back in the 90's. The DEA did put a stop to that by warning all the stores. I'm not sure how the many online places get away with it still as I know of one person who was arrested and spent time in jail for selling pods online. It just goes to show that because someone else might get away with something doesn't mean you or I can.

It has been said before but, watch that monkey! He drives a hard bargain for the pleasure.... addiction can happen to anyone, even you!

9. C11H15

C11H15 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    my space monkey had no idea that they could be utilised. he has never seen any in any shops.
    however, in the space monkey's living room, on the fire place is a vase full of dried flowers, sprayed gold. there are, in this bunch, 3-4 poppy buds full of seeds.

10. smark

smark Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from out there
    Yeah they are a great vendor but wont ship outside the UK

Ive looked here in the craft stores etc but discovered that while the seeds are legal poppy straw is illegal.

Ive seen plenty of poppies growing here in peoples gardens so really not sure if they are legal to grow but once dried become illegal.

11. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Save the seeds and grow them for ornamental purposes only says my cat. I've never seen O'pods in te Michigan area of the USA . I did find some Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Pods but thats a different subject . My friend grows Californian Poppies that are legal here (I think?) I heard that they are illegal in Europe so they must be "Good" . I'm going to search the net now that my cats interest is peaked !!:cool:

12. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    California Poppy is crap in terms of opiate alkaloids, but they are used in herbal medicine to help sleep.

Poppy straw has always been illegal without a prescription, just no one noticed or cared until that book came out telling everyone outright how to get high via the craft store. ;)

I haven't seen poppy pods in any store for many many years, although once, a few years back, I randomly noticed a bunch (non-lacquered) in a box of other dried flowers/seed pods at Dollar Tree, of all freakin' places. I bought them out (obviously), then hit up the other two Dollar Tree stores in my area - one had, like, 3 bunches & the other store didn't have any. I did ask if they could order them again, but the barcode on the packaging was a generic 'dried ornamental' one, & all the different kinds of seedpods had the same one. They never, ever, never had poppy pods again. I still check in now & then, just for the hell of it (even though I've been clean for years), and in the last few years they've even stopped getting any kind of variety & it's just this weird stuff that kind of looks like you could make a witches' broom out of it. Heh.

Obviously, that was some kind of strange fluke. I don't even see plastic poppy pods in craft stores anymore. I dunno why not. *shrug*

Oh, and make NO MISTAKE about this: poppy straw is illegal to possess, even if you plan to legit use it for ornamental purposes. It is STILL a Schedule II drug in the USA. Will Grandma get prosecuted for having those poppies in her front yard? Not likely. Could she? Hell yeah.

Even places like Walmart & nurseries are totally in the wrong - it is illegal to sell poppy seeds except for cooking purposes. I think they may be in a slight grey area, since poppy seeds are legal for consumption, but they are obviously not packaged & priced for consumption in those little envelopes! And *YOU* could be in trouble once you plant them!!

~Kailey

13. fritzthecat

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Are Oriental Red Poppies and Californian poppies one and the same ? I read in Otto Snows book "Oxy" that the Orientals are high in thebaine which is the chemical percursor to oxycodone . I guess that would not matter to this thread since extraction of opium alkaloids is the main topic .

14. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    IIRC, thebaine is stimulating & actually sort of dysphoric; it's nothing you want to have in any large amounts! ;) While yes, oxycodone is synth'd from thebaine...so is naloxone (Narcan). Thebaine itself isn't what we're looking for, and larger amounts of thebaine in the alkaloid mix messes up the high, from what I've read.

I don't know if Oriental Red Poppy & California Poppy are the same; I'd say no, since from what I remember, California Poppy doesn't have ANY opiate alkaloids in it, not just doesn't have any 'good' ones. :)

Papaver Somniferum is what people are looking for, though sometimes vendors try to be 'sneaky' by leaving out the Somniferum part & putting it what strain of Somniferum it is. Like no one knows that 'gigantheum' are opiate poppys? ;)

We're kinds starting to swerve off-topic in this thread. There's a couple threads in the Opium & Poppy forum (& possibly in the Poppy Growing forum) where we discuss the various names, the legality & most interestingly - a few of the quasi-legal 'hybrids' that are actually psychoactive. Might want to do a perusal in there to get more info on the different varieties & whether they're legal and/or 'worth it' to cultivate. :) If I can find the links, I'll add them to this post, but it would be a while before I could go looking, so I suggest you take a look yourself.

~Kailey

15. fritzthecat

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I didn't know that dysphoric mean't anti-euphoric . Thanks, that is going to save me some grief . Vet bills are expensive...:cool:

I saw some poppies with the lacquer on them . Perhaps my cat can still make tea out of those as lacquer isn't water soulunle . I'll have to check .

The seeds of the more interesting pods would still be "active" right ?:)

16. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    California poppies aren't even true poppies. They don't belong to the papervar family.

I went to hobby lobby once and looked aorund all their dried flowers to see if they had poppies and of course they didn't. I called two nurseries in my city and asked if they carried them and one said no they didn't and they never had and the other said no and that they are illegal and that they don't even sell the seeds.

Poppy pods are gone, folks. You can't even get them online anymore unless you're willing to pay an outrageous price for a tiny amount that will barley do anything. Pills and dope are much cheaper (not that i'm suggesting anyone use them) unlike how it used to be when i found out about pods a little over a year ago. I could get like, 3 real good highs for 25-30 bucks. Last time i ordered some (last fall), I spent 80 dollars and got 2 very mild highs. :(

Grow you own, people. that's the only option left. Unless youre in the UK where you can still get them online.

MovingPictures added 2 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

OMG, I just checked the prices from what used to be my go to site. They are fucking NUTS! Like, unbelivably high. oh, man...

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  17. Der Alte Kreiger

Der Alte Kreiger Newbie

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from U.S.A.
    [QUOTE=MovingPictures;986522

Poppy pods are gone, folks. You can't even get them online anymore unless you're willing to pay an outrageous price for a tiny amount that will barley do anything. Pills and dope are much cheaper (not that i'm suggesting anyone use them) unlike how it used to be when i found out about pods a little over a year ago. I could get like, 3 real good highs for 25-30 bucks. Last time i ordered some (last fall), I spent 80 dollars and got 2 very mild highs. :(

OMG, I just checked the prices from what used to be my go to site. They are fucking NUTS! Like, unbelivably high. oh, man...[/QUOTE]

So when you say "gone" you mean expensive or more expensive than they were a year ago, right? I remember when heroin sold for a buck a pill but prices go up.

I got a mail from a supplier this morning offering green pods from the Spring 2011 crop at about double the ammount you paid in the fall.

I think its like the manufactured ammo shortage that profited nobody but the ammo makers. Now that the "shortage " is over the prices are still through the roof.

18. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Even with the insane prices, vendors are constantly out of stock. There obviously being slowly shut down by the law and will be gone soon. So yeah, they aren't gone, per se, but they might as well be unless you have crazy amounts of money and no access to any other kind of opiates. I mean, with these prices, it'd take like 100$ to get high for me. I can't afford that shit. And the only reason vendors are taking the risk is because of the huge profit they are making. Put some seeds in the dirt and water them every now and then. That's all that's goning on here folks, it's not heroin that is being manufactured in another country and smuggled in (and heroin is cheaper than online poppies now). The only people buying these pods are the rich folks with no access to other opiates and there's obviously a lot of them. When I emailed on vendor asking why the prices are so crazy and when will the be normal again, this was last fall, I was told there was a "shortage at the farm" and that there was plently of people willing to pay those prices for pods and that no matter what, pods will NEVER be as cheap as the used to be. So the law is closing in and the online poppy inudstry is drawing its final breaths (and making a fucking killing while they're at it!).

19. Phenoxide

Phenoxide Super Moderator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Discussion of suppliers is only allowed in the Sources forums. This means that discussion of vendors is not allowed anywhere on the site, not in PM. Sources forums only. Note that private messages are moderated to prevent the forum being mis-used for trade.

Read more: https://drugs-forum.com/help/rules

20. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Poppy pods are controlled substances in all UN countries, so we do not allow the discussion anywhere on the site.