Pharmacology - Are psychedelic Research Chemical's Euphoric?

Discussion in 'Tryptamines' started by vantranist, Mar 11, 2007.

1. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    SWIM heres all the time about the Euphoric propertys of diffrent Research Chemical Psycedelics but is not sure he understands, or mabye his diffinition of Euphoria is differnt from everyone elses.

What SWIM sees as Euphoria is the rush one would get from Meth, or MDMA, and cocaine. That mood lift that feels so amazing and sense of wellbeing and everything just being wounderfull about your life.

Now I have limited Psychedlic use so he isnt very sure... He has only had 1 Small trip on Oral n-n-DMT and a few strong LSA trips, but has never wittnessed any Euphoria from these what so ever in the sense that one would get from MDMA. If anything these drugs make him a little depressed. But then again he has never done things like 4-AcO-dmt, 2c-E, AMT, 4-HO-dipt ECT... Do these acutally caus Euphoria similar to drugs like MDMA? Or is it a diffrent sense of Euphoria when people talk about Psychedelics, i understand the word can be applyed to many things.

I wouldent think it would caus any of those effects just based on how differently Psychedlics work on the brain and don't release certain Neuotranmitters like dope.

anyone care to spread some light on this?

SWIM asks Because he is trying to decide weather or not to purches some 4-aco-dmt.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  2. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    Re: Are psychedelic Rc's Euphoric?

Meth and cocaine affect the dopamine system; MDMA funks with serotonin. Dopamine and serotonin are your euphoria/wellbeing brain-goodies. None of the psychedelic phenethylamines or tryptamines are serotonergic or dopaminergic agents, AFAIK. Therefore, you are correct in saying that any euphoria from taking any of the classic phens/trypts would be a different sort than taking "uppers".

I believe AMT, which is another animal entirely, has a bit of a euphoric push (balanced out by a toxic body load). (As always, folks, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you look at Illuminati Boy's "effects and ratings survey results" threads (use the search engine), you will find that certain chemicals are more prone to positive experiences than others. But aside from methylone, which acts on both dopamine and serotonin but is not psychedelic, none of Shulgin's younger babies has that euphoric rush you seem to be looking for.

3. Chunkz

Chunkz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o

Well if he means CNS-Like depresed, LSA is actually supposed to have some of this property. Some Psycedelics hold stimulatish or depresionish effects as a side, but these aren't there main euphoria. People say with Lsd it also gives you some of a buzz, as opposed to Lsa. As for X it gives a mild Psyceldelic effect compared to Mescaline & a Monderate stimulating rush compared to Amphetamine. And as far as the def of Euphoria-Dictionary's will say "Sense of well being", or what not, Like Here.:crazy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  4. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
  5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Psychedelics MAY cause euphoria. And they MAY cause dysphoria. And all stations between. They magnify the mind. And are just as unpredictable as your mind. Most who are experienced with psychedelics do not use them expecting a euphoric effect. Rather they expect an overview of all things at once.

One of the pioneers of psychedelic research - Humphrey Osmond - summed it up thusly: "To fathom Hell or soar angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic."

6. Rush

Rush Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland

5-meo-AMT produce a great euphoria, in fact it works like an amphetamine(maybe even stronger)the other alpha triptamines too(AMT,AET,5-Meo-AET)
    this because they make serotonin and dopamine to be released.

other tryptamines can be agonists(DMT,LSD) or can be reuptake inhibitor(DPT,5-Meo-DMT and most others)

5-Meo-MIPT seems to be a strong serotonin reuptake inhibitor(this is probably why it gives euphoria), but it does not share the "release" ability of the alpha group.

DPT is a strong nor-adrenaline reuptake inhibitor.this is why it has an high "body load"(SWIM tends to have racing heart at high doses)

7. fastandbulbous

fastandbulbous Titanium Member

Reputation Points:

It's hard to achieve a sense of well being when you're puking & shitting yourself at the same time!

8. Rush

Rush Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland

:p ok, 5-meo-AMT produce a great euphoria AND a LOT of advesrse side effects in a LOT of people!

however, I had nausea on 5-meo-AMT, but never had puking and shitting...different people, different effects.
    i dont know if AMT has same side effects, however, AET has been often compared to ecstasy for the euphoria.

9. Cavy182

Cavy182 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I don't consider trips as euphoric. He feels just on the verge of control while tripping and feels to much energy is expended on staying in control to consider the experience euphoric. Don't get him wrong, I do enjoy tripping from time to time but feels he gets more from the ability to control the the mind to get any euphoric effect from the experience.

As a side note, I have found himself not in control on occasion and takes days to recover from those experiences.

10. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
  11. JDreaming

JDreaming R.I.P. Gold Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:

I have a slightly different understanding of the differences in effect between euphorics like MDMA and Psychedelics. Euphoric phenethylamines like MDMA raise the overall levels of seratonin, and sometimes dopamine, in the brain, which effects your overall mood. Psychedelics do work by funking with seratonin, but only on a selective range of receptors, particularly the 5HT2 series. This causes a concentrated effect on sensory perception with less effect on mood. So both euphorics and psychedelics work on seratonin and dopamine neurotransmission, but in very different ways- overall effect vs. selective.

That said, some people feel euphoria as a response when psychedelic drug effects kick in while other people become fearful, and I think this depends a lot on your attitude toward the drug and your personal mental state. Psychedelics feel "euphoric" for some people but definately not all.

12. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda

SWIM heard that DOC is an amphetamine and a pychedlic would this mean it would give some mood increasing effect such as Meth or is it just going to be like any other pychedelic mood wise?

13. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda

There is no guarentee that DOC, or any DOx compunds, will enhance mood in the forced way that meth or dexedrine (ie, 'speed') tend to. Some users report some amphetamine-like sensations, like jaw clamping, but the DOx's are true psychedelics. Large doses are sometimes associated with panic!

14. iFeaRNLoathiNg

iFeaRNLoathiNg Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    5-meo-mipt has caused swim to experience the top level of his own euphoric meter more then a couple times. I also have droped too the bottom off of the same chemical. regardless, defently euphoric.

15. los810

los810 Guest

Reputation Points:
    Keep in mind that euphoria is a subjective state influenced by a wide variety of factors, drugs only being one. Certain receptors are strongly associated with feeling of euphoria, and some drugs these receptors. However, you're experiences also influence these receptors. Seeing a loved one or even listening to a song you love may also affect levels of dopamine, serotonin etc This is why set/setting is so important So, anything, including all research chemicals may be potentially euphoric or dysphoric.

I know I'm getting off track from your question but just wanted to bring up the point that feelings/affect/mental state etc. are always being influenced by a variety of variables. Sure, many substances exert a powerful influence but they are still only one influence. It’s best to think of substances as a tool which may promote certain states of mind but they don't cause that state of mind. Substance X won't cause euphoria, epiphany on its own. Most people that have great experiences while on substances do so because they have set themselves up for these experiences. Its not that the drugs don't work its that you didn't work the drugs! Sorry if I was too off topic.

16. samadhi_smiles

samadhi_smiles Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    With MDMA it seems to be the unique mix of DA and SE release which gives it the euphoria that is characteristic of its peak effects. For instance, nearly pure SE releasers (IAP) do not give nearly the same experience (in fact for some it is classified subjectively as a dysphoriant).

Unfortunately this mix brings with it the neurotoxicity issues that are associated with MDMA (along with neurotoxicity from rising thermal pressure, etc).

17. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Of all the drugs I have tried, psychedelics are the most euphoric to him. SWIM lost the magic with MDMA due to ignorance, when I was still young, but the fond memories I have had of his MDMA experiences were very good, if I would still experience that kind of euphoria of MDMA, MDMA and most psychedelics share a first place.
    LSD(which isn't an Research Chemical though) and 2C-E were the most euphoric drugs I have done, even more than MDMA. AMT is closely followed.

18. chrisn

chrisn Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My pet dragon's most recent mushroom trip (not an RC, but a tryptamine all the same) was astoundingly euphoric. He was so overpowered by happiness that he tried for a while to think of something that would cause him to feel some other emotion than gleeful, blissful, pure happiness. After a few minutes of failing, he gave up and was quite content with the amazing mood lift mushrooms gave him. He doesn't have any experience with MDMA to compare this to, but he finds it difficult to think of any drug making him happier than that experience. LSD he finds pretty euphoric as well.

19. Nacumen

Nacumen Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

MDMA not only inhibits the reuptake of serotonin, but also dopamine and noradrenaline. MDMA also triggers the production of more serotonin.

Methamphetamine and cocaine primarily inhibit the reuptake of dopamine.

Back on topic, psychedelics of all kinds can induce euphoria, subjectively better than meth or coke euphoria, but the same goes for the opposite. This includes anything from 2C-I to LSD to Bromo-DragonFLY. But this euphoria is not nearly as much a certainty as meth or coke.

There are Research Chemicals which cause euphoria very similar in nature to MDMA, such as bk-MDMA (Methylone). Many would even consider MDMA itself to be a Research Chemical - it really has only been widely used and studied by humans for about 30 years now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  20. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    i suppose several, no, many agents, including psychoactive drugs have the capcity to enable one to partake in the endsless glory of god's unconditional, everlasting love - thats euphoric in my book.

i grow ever less sure that specific ligands are responsible for the complex state that is the true euphoria of, say a smiling dog licking his sack...