Are teachers drug tested?

Discussion in 'Drug Testing' started by LSD-25, Aug 6, 2006.

1. LSD-25

LSD-25 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I want to be a teacher, do they drug test teachers?

2. ryanstein

ryanstein Newbie

Reputation Points:
    depends on the state/county...im sure its easy to find look up

do u have a degree?

3. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Anyone hoping to be left in charge of 30 lives all day could expect to be tested at some point. While drug testing may not be a mandatory part of the job, its always a possibility (Especially in this day n age). If SwiY has ever had a record of any sort, then they should consider this factor. The country may be in need of teachers, but that doesnt mean there gonna let just anyone have the job. SWim has seen a teacher get fired from a failing a drug test (high school), and I also have family in the field and they too have been tested (passed of course!). The best thing You can do is stay clean and feel it out, especially if this proffession is important to you. The last thing anyone wants is to have a tainted reputation ruin their life plans...

Oh, and before this topic goes any further, please remember to "swim" your opinions on the boards, so we stay away from any type of incrimination. Please review the rules on swim here if this doesnt make sense (Alfa's post at the bottom clears it up very well). No rules have been broken in this thread, so we should keep it that way, peace...

4. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    They test the students, monitor blog sites, run dogs thru the schools and parking lots looking for drugs and weapons. If drug testing is ok for the students, then the teachers need testing also. Without prior warning either.

5. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland
    Swim once had an English teacher who, if he ever was tested, I was sure he'd fail. But he was cool so I didn't mind. My point is drug teachers make the best teachers but keep it for the holidays or invent a strain of weed that's not traceable.

6. VincentVan

VincentVan Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Thanx God this drug testing employees craze is still limited to other side of the Atlantic.
    I have been teaching for a few years now and I acconsented to doing it after I had been repeatedly asked for more years; with what face could they now ask me to submit to drug testing?
    I think it would cause a furor here (around 99% of danish teachers are unionized), all the teaching category would consider it an affront to their professionality and besides I have never heard of anybody having to submit to drug testing in any european country, not even cops, truck drivers, or jet pilots.
    Has anyone?

VV.

7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    One teacher I knew about was found with some pot in his home. No drug-testing was done by the school - he was fired long before it even got to court.

8. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Id have to agree the best teacher SWIM ever had was his 11th grade AP psych teacher who I smoked, rolled, and tripped with on a few occasions. He really knew how to keep the students interest and make learning fun. As long as it doesnt interfere with your teaching i say go for it.

9. VincentVan

VincentVan Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    One of my teaching collegues comes in class sporting a necklace from which hangs an unmistakeble Mary Jane leave.
    BTW she is considered one of the best assets in one of the best institutions in the country.

VV.

10. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend swim knows a teacher who works in the public school system who has never been drug tested.

Also, at swim's boarding school (in Switzerland) there were many teachers who would smoke cannabis and even some who did psychedelics. None of them were tested, though the students were (quite often actually).

Things could change in the next decade though. Hopefully they will change back to pre-drug testing days. Go optimism!!