1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Spiritual - are there any herbal antipsychotics ?

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by amorphus, Jan 10, 2009.

1. amorphus

amorphus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hello
    Is there any herbal antipsychotics?

2. TommyRowe

TommyRowe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Schizophrenia

In themselves, no. A study awhile back tried to test the effectiveness of combining herbal medicine with traditional medicine. The combination showed a tad bit more improvement over traditional medication alone, however herbal medication cannot replace the effectiveness of prescribed medication by itself.

Use it as a supplement if anything. Not a replacement.

3. robin_himself

robin_himself

Reputation Points:

Enicostema axillare (LAM.) RAYNAL

Botanical Name
    :Enicostema axillare (LAM.) RAYNAL
    English Name
    :Indian Gentian
    Synonym(s)
    :Adenema hyssopifolia G. Don., Cicendia hyssopifolia Wight & Arn., Enicostema verticillare Baill., Enicostema littorale auct. non Blume, Exacum hyssopifolium Willd., Gentiana axillare Lam., Gentiana verticillata L., Slevogtia orientalis Griseb.

Family
    :Gentianaceae

DescriptionA glabrous perennial herb 10 to 50 cm high with ribbed, quadrangular stems; younger parts glacous green; rootstock stout. Leaves opposite, decussate, sessile, linear to elliptic-oblong or lanceolate, 3.2 to 6.3 cm long and 0.3 to 1.6 cm wide, apex obtuse or acute, tapering at base, 3-nerved. Flowers white or bluish, sessile in whorled axillary clusters; calyx 3 mm long, lobes 1.5 mm long, ovate-oblong, obtuse, with narrow membranous margins. Fruit (capsule) ovoid to subglobose, 3 to 4 mm long and 3 mm in diameter, faintly grooved on 2 opposite sides; seeds subglobose to rhomboid, 0.5 mm long, reticulate.

Herb Effects The plant is pungent and very bitter; anthelmintic. It is also considered to have tonic, stomachic and laxative properties, stimulates the heart; antipsychotic and antiinflammatory (plant); carminative.

Medicinal UseSnakebite and fever (plant decoction); as a carminative, a restorative agent and in diabetes. The crushed plant mixed with water is used as a restorative. The whole plant, dried, powdered and mixed with honey, is used as a blood-purifier and to relieve dropsy, rheumatism, abdominal ulcers, hernia, swellings, itches, insect poisoning and to expel worms.

Reference Chandel et al., Biodiversity in Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in India.

4. TommyRowe

TommyRowe Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Enicostema axillare

Ive researched this a bit... Stimulates the heart AND is used for snake bites? Doesnt make much sense to me. Dont recall the exact wording in med school but I believe its bad to have the heart stimulated, thus pumping faster, with poison coursing through your veins... Hmm, I could be wrong...

From what Ive read, I cant find where it gets the antipsychotic tendencies from. Havent been able to find a article to back that statement up. I may research this a bit more as I find this plant to be very interesting...

My question is, can it be smoked and how high will it get you ; )

5. robin_himself

robin_himself

Reputation Points:

Some snake bites cause paralysis in the heart. You need to stimulate the heart to keep it pumping. This means it will not necessarily make the heart pump faster rather it will only keep it from being paralysed.

6. TommyRowe

TommyRowe Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Well, as a paramedic, we NEVER EVER do anything to get the heart pumping faster. The venom cannot reach the heart no matter what so we take every preventative measure to stop that. Elevating the feet, medications to enduce controlled and temporary bradycardia etc.

I dont deal with snake bites much as I work in not only a urban setting but a tactical setting so my experiences with snake bites dont range much beyond the classroom and maybe a ride along while I was still in school... And in cases of any sort of venom attack on the system, we would never raise heart rate.

7. lovemolecule

lovemolecule Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Behavioural pharmacology of polygalasaponins indicates potential antipsychotic efficacy

Abstract

Polygalasaponins were extracted from a plant (Polygala tenuifolia Willdenow) that has been prescribed for hundreds of years to treat psychotic illnesses in Korean traditional medicine. Previous in vitro binding studies suggested a potential mechanism for its antipsychotic action, as polygalasaponin was shown to have an affinity for both dopamine and serotonin receptors [Psychopharmacol. Bull. 31 (1995) 139.]. In the present study we have investigated the functional in vivo actions of this material in tests that are predictive of dopamine and serotonin antagonist activities. Polygalasaponin (25–500 mg/kg) was shown to produce a dose-related reduction in the apomorphine-induced climbing behaviour (minimum effective dose [EDmin] 25 mg/kg ip, 250 mg/kg sc and po), the 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HTP)-induced serotonin syndrome (EDmin 50 mg/kg ip) and the MK-801-induced hyperactivity (EDmin 25 mg/kg ip) in mice. This compound also reduced the cocaine-induced hyperactivity (EDmin 25 mg/kg ip) in rats. These results demonstrated that polygalasaponin has dopamine and serotonin receptor antagonist properties in vivo. This might suggest its possible utility as an antipsychotic agent.

Polygala root is also, apparently, a potential anti-depressant (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor).

The pinyin name for the herb is zhi yuan zhi, or just yuan zhi.

8. Djed

Djed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Tobacco

9. Lil Dragonfly

Lil Dragonfly Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Electronic cigarettes have the same health benefits of the nicotine, minus the highly toxic effects of the other components of tobacco smoke.

Nicotine is beneficial in treating many brain problems, including schizophrenia, ADHD, dementia, and depression.

10. amorphus

amorphus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well, i'm trying to quit smoking, cause i feel the opposite effect of mental healing.
    When i smoke or take nicotine in any other form, i'm very anxious, stressed and depressed...