Article by Dr Weil detailing benefits of MDA

Discussion in 'Ecstasy & MDMA' started by ramjet, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    This is a fairly well written article by someone who obviously appreciates the qualities of MDA/MDMA. I just wanted people's opinions on it. Are there any parts you agree or disagee with. Can you associate with some parts and/or are some parts of the article way off?

All in all there was a lot I disagreed with in this article.

I thought this wasn't necessarily true, although MDA/MDMA has on occasion given SWIM the ability to draw his focus away from his immediate lusts/desires and decompartmentalise these desires, augmenting my ability for philosophical introspection: "other hungers and desires may also disappear int he MDA state. Habitual users of tobacco feel no need to smoke. Chain smokers of marijuana do not need their weed. Nail biters leave their fingers alone. Compulsive talkers become quiet. Compulsive eaters do not think about food. Moreover, this desireless condition feels supremely natural and valuable."

I wasn't sure about this: "MDA affects the senses minimally, everything appears as it does usually. There are no hallucinations, illusions, or distortions, simply a great aura of peace and calm."

The passage about being so relaxed you are able to walk accross jagged rocks was, I felt, perhaps a dangerous claim to be making. I also hope others don't assume that because the writer finds taking MDA to beneficial while rock climbing, others will have the same experience.

I did, however, like his description of the benefits in terms of relaxion and empathy, and thought this was fairly accurate: "Such experiences confirm in a powerful way the sense of well-being. It feels as if nothing is threatening, and, in fact, things in the external world behave differently. This theme carries through to interpersonal relations. When people feel well, centered, unthreatened, and aware of their own strength and loveliness, they are able to drop many of the usual barriers that develop in groups."

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Article detailing benefits of MDA

Andrew Weil has the distinction of being one of the few actual people with a medical degree to speak out on psychedelics, entactogens (before that word was coined), and other methods of altering consciousness back in the late 1960's on. Most reports on these things were stuffy, clinical dissertations from the bowels of Harvard Medical. Or the howls of "Tune In! Turn On! Drop Out!" In other words, of virtually no use to the layman.

Dr. Weil bridged the gap between such revo-evolutionaries as Leary and Kesey, and the thin-tied Dr. Brown's of Harvard. While he was certainly not the last word in this now-expanding field, he at very least established a medium for intelligent communications.

The book Marriage of the Sun and Moon contains some other fascinating articles on various subjects. It's a fun read.

3. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Article detailing benefits of MDA

Thanks for the info on the writer, very interesting.

It is a highly accessible article. Being a History grad, my knowledge of science is minimal.

4. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What Dr. Weil describes about people being dependent on coffee and cigarettes being able to feel calm on MDA and the fact that, unlike other stimulants, it doesn't make people hyper decribes exactly how stimulants work on people with ADHD. People with ADHD are known to self-medicate with caffeine, cigarettes, or other stimulants because of the calming effect they have unlike others who actually want to "jack" themselves up. I have known people who run around in circles on MDMA and MDA and others who are just the opposite. There have even been reports of people with Parkinson's disease having better mobility while on MDMA because people with Parkinson's have decreased dopamine levels and MDMA and MDA increases dopamine as well as serotonin. I don't fully agree with some of Dr. Weil's statements but overall I believe that he is right about more research being done. If scientists could extract the good from the drugs and take out the bad then maybe everyone could benefit medically and otherwise. Surely being well and feeling good are not crimes. If there is no harm, there should be minimal restrictions (much less than alcohol and cigarettes)both of which can and do kill eventually. Good for Dr. Weil! He could be the next Dr. Shulgin.

5. Nnizzle

Nnizzle Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from earth
    A .txt file of this excerpt has been uploaded to the file archive here.