1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Ativan (Lorazepam) and the law

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by sands of time, Jun 16, 2005.

1. sands of time

sands of time

Reputation Points:
    I am interested in finding out what the punishment generally is for possession of Ativan. Lets say someone is caught with a few and they don't have a perscription.

2. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It's an automaic felony. Penalties vary from state to state. You would probably get probation, but maximum penalty can be up to 5 years or so. This goes for most pharmaceuticals.Edited by: BlueMystic

3. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't know about other states, but in NY state, one can lawfully have a non-controlled Rx drug with necessarily have a prescription for it. So, for instance, having a bottle of morphine or xanax would get you in trouble. I've even heard horror stories about people having legit Rxs for the drugs, but butting them in other bottles: a friend put some of her vicodin (hydrocodone/APAP) in with a bottle of aspirin. She was caught, but even though she had a legit script, IT WAS NOT IN THE BOTTLE PRESCRIBED WITH HER NAME AND ADDRESS ON IT. She actually spent a few days in jail before it got cleared up. However.....In NY, carisoprodol (Soma) in NOT a controlled substance. Even though one requires a Rx to get prescription filled, it's not against the law per se to possess the medicine, even without an actual prescription.

Dunno how all this would work with Schedule V drugs. They're a weird category: chemically they're related to much stronger drugs, they have SOME -- LIMITED -- potential for abuse, and very few of them actually produce psychoactive effects that an "illumination seeker" would be looking for. Might compliment other drugs though. In some states, some CV meds can be purchased behind the counter, that is to say, you have to ask the pharmacist. Which means, if not for legit reason, you have to come up with with one hell of a fake cough. I've read about syrups that are CV containing phenobarbital, albeit not very much of it. My point is that, in some states, you can actually purchase CV behind the counter (as opposed to OTC). Gotta convince the pharmacist I guess.

Be careful though! If your state doesn't allow that, like mine (NY), it will most definately tarnish your relationship with your local pharmacist.

"Hi, I'd like to buy some low-dose phenobarbital, some codiene cough-syrup, and a 40oz."

Hope I helped bud! :laugh:

4. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Oh, sorry, but as for the ativan (lorazepam), that's C IV and you're pretty much screwed if anyone of any legal authority catches you......that is, unless they have a fondness for benzodiazepines and misguided youth!