1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Effects - Auditory / visual hallucinations on heroin?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by paisleypomegranates, Dec 11, 2009.

1. paisleypomegranates

paisleypomegranates Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from U.S.A.
    I used to get really loaded and nod out, to wake back up thinking that there were other people there than the one other person i was with. SWIM also used to see glimpses of shadows or people out of her perephrial vision, but never something directly in front of her. has anyone else experienced this?

personally, I think that there are spirits on this earth that we aren't able to see unless under a state of mind that is close to death or openly vulnerable. any input? :s kind of freaks SWIM out to think that she put herself there for such a long time voluntarily.

paisleypomegranates added 1 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

**like, I would hear all sorts of voices, people talking. no history of mental health issues.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. chillinwill

chillinwill Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: auditory/visual hallucinations on heroin?

Red Rock has never experienced any of these side effects from his heroin use, but it doesn't seem to be all that uncommon either. Here is another thread related to the same kind of issues: Hearing voices?

Another one related to the heroin hallucinations is The Walking-Off Man

3. dyingtomorrow

dyingtomorrow Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I would get auditory hallucinations in the bathroom with running water from the faucet or shower. He often hears what sounds like people fighting, screaming and yelling. He felt like it was more prevalent when he was on heroin.

Never visual hallucinations though, except a couple times when he was on suboxone, and then tried shooting a shitload of heroin to overcome it and get high. It was more like delirium though.

4. beena

beena Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from U.K.

YES!!! Certainly auditory hallucinations. SWIM first experienced this after using morphine tablets in large quantities (a precursor to her heroin use). She often stayed up until the early hours of the morning, just chillin' and enjoying the buzz, usually listening to some music and would eventually crash out on the sofa.
    More than once doing this she would either just be nodding off or be in a light sleep when she would suddenly hear a voice in her ear. It would be freakily clear and realistic - like the person was standing next to her in the room. On more than one occasion it was her mother's voice she heard and this really freaked her out!
    Anyway, SWIM read the blurp that they put in with the packet of medication (it was prescription morphine - MST 30mg tablets - that she was taking at that time, usually about 20+ of them mind), and sure enough it said that one of the possible side effects was 'auditory hallucinations' - so there you go!
    Actually, don't think I have experienced them quite as much with heroin but is certain she has a few times - perhaps she doesn't notice them as much these days or is too out of it to remember!
    Also, I have definately seen shadowy figures out of the corner of her eyes whilst on drugs, but it's usually after a heavy binge session of crack (with or without heroin), and puts it down largely to sleep-deprivation (although she's sure the drugs played a part too of course!!)

5. SidMaddox

SidMaddox Silver Member

Reputation Points:

well, from SWIM's personal experiences, the occassional hallucination (especially auditory) are not all that uncommon, although many people would disagree with me on that.

I have been known to have auditory hallucinations, and also to see those shadows in the peripheral that the poster here mentioned... but often I was very sleep-deprived at the same time, and the hallucinations could be more likely attributed to that than to the dope.

but often, SWIM hears sounds like a large group of people having conversations in a different room of the house, or wierd music coming from someplace that can never be found, or something similar... but as said, it cannot be certain whether it was the dope that caused these things, or sleep deprivation or marijuana which was sometimes used in combination with the dope.

most people that I have asked about the subject have told SWIM that there is absolutely no possibility that heroin would cause hallucinations, but I don't necessarily think they are right. perhaps its something only some people experience as a side effect, but SWIM definitely thinks its possible that dope might cause hallucinations like these in some cases.

SidMaddox added 3 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

to add to that, most people I know claim that mild hallucinations are fairly common when going through withdrawal from heroin, but most people agree that actual heroin use will not cause them. so that's what they say... but "they" have been known to be wrong before.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  6. Black on Black

Black on Black Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have definitely experienced some sort of delirium while on heroin. Rather dificult to explain, as her memory is not too great. She can best remember shooting up with her now ex and them both passing out in bed. Then I would 'dream' that she was at work, and her boss is talking to her, asking her questions. Swim begins answering her boss saying yes that person called and I canceled their appointment. She then suddenly wakes up because her now ex is up again and wanting to get frisky, saying things she doesn't quite understand. She asks him what he is talking about and it turns out, I was talking in her 'sleep', which woke him up of his nod. Swim laughs because really for all the past year of her IV h use, she feels as if she has never slept just gone into twelve hour long dope-induced sort of comas. Now that I am just past withdrawals (which she definitely experienced some hallucination during, due to the lack of sleep and trying to force herself to) She feels as if she has actually slept for the first time in months.

7. east_of_eden

east_of_eden Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

swim talked about this in more detail on another thread, but she has had very strange experiences where she goes into a kind of "nod trance state" and thinks she's in another place trying to accomplish some task which is always impossible to do for various reasons.

she tends to think she's in the airport a lot (for some strange reason) and trying to get her baggage. it's like being stuck in a time loop with auditory and visual hallucinations.

^^ that only happens to her when she has a really good shot (IV) and her benzos have kicked in.

However, just the other day on christmas after coming home from her family gathering, she was in her bathroom (alone in the house) and after shooting up she could swear she heard her sisters in the living room talking.

It was so weird, she was really panicked that somehow she wasn't alone, but she thinks that happened because it had been so loud at the christmas party and it was replaying in her head.

8. Ill~Will

Ill~Will Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Yes that does happen to swim occasionally, coming out of a
    strong nod and start talking about something that makes no
    sense to my friends in the real world. Because I was having
    a daydream or something.

9. mr.mackey

mr.mackey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.

Swim's friend was just asking swim about this, because after the first time he got a good shot he told swim that as he was laying in bed he saw the ceiling start to breath, reminiscent of mushrooms..which I thought was odd, plus he wasnt on anything else at the time, any swimmer's have hallucinations like that? or are they more delirium type hallucinations?

10. Pola Bear

Pola Bear Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o

It is probably like an awake dream because of the nod.

Pola Bear added 11 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Or it could be some freaky ass paranormal shit. I was tripping one time and convinced that I was talking to shadows and seeing shadow people. I have read reports about shadow people on the internet. Google it and you will find loads of accounts.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  11. MatchNSomeGasoline

MatchNSomeGasoline Newbie

Reputation Points:

If swim stays up all night dope sick and than uses in the morning, swim hallucinates like crazy.

12. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I has never hallucinated from heroin directly, but there was a time when he was very addicted to drugs, mostly opiates, but he would do anything in front of him. he started to see spiders (I am afraid of spiders) in the corners of his eyes, which was more intense in the dark. he would see them crawling over the edges of objects, like coming under the door or crawling out from behind his desk. he was under a lot of legal and personal stress to quit using and thinks a combination of drugs, jail(juvie actually), paranoia, and being on house arrest broke his mind. hes better now. I think that your dream theory sounds logical, however he doesn't think that there are shadow people. maybe its like when you so drunk and you get up from bed, but your still sleeping and you piss in places that your not supposed to, like the closet or something. hes talked to several people who have done that, and he has done it himself.

13. moclov4

moclov4 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yes, mr. mackey - 2 days ago I got intermittent sleep coupled with a waking up and having a shot every few hours, went about the day, the n unfortunately got less than 1 hr of sleep staying up all night writing a paper, then worked out very hard the next day and had lots of caffeine, SWIM finished off 2 big shots and now I am about to attempt going to sleep, SWIM definitely experienced the "mushroom"-like visuals when outside smoking a cigarette or randomly throughout the day - I started to nod randomly awhile ago, then SWIM randomly found this thread! I am glad he wasn't the only one, he's starting to feel like his body was being involuntarily controlled! well off to la-la land, hopefully ...

14. &rew

&rew

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Back to old good days, I saw hallucinations on heroin a lot of times, especially after good shot returning home on a night highway, high speed, turned off radio, sound of grubbing away engine... Streetlights becomes beautiful Xmas garlands expanding all over the road making arches that shine with all colors... Like seeing a dream with opened eyes. No, SWIM never drives when shot to nods out, he just sit next to driver and enjoys. Thats not counting so-called, here it calls "cartoons", when one shot to nod and goes to bed, closes eyes and starts seeing dream while he is still in room, he can controls the room, knows when somebody enters the room, perfectly orientates in space and time, his muscles ready for actions, but dream keep going, good colored dream, all this like watching TV.

Damn, now I want heroin.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  15. tweek411

tweek411 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yes SWIM see's hallucinations on nice Black tar heroin. When swim nods he goes into another world full of dreams and vivid almost delirium like hallucinations. Its amazing. SWIM Doesnt experience this on pill opiates like roxicodone or oxycontin (oxycodone) Only potent potent H.

16. DiacetylEntertainment

DiacetylEntertainment Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from U.S.A.
    I can relate to all of these posts. Surprisingly I noticed it more while sniffing dope than shooting, like a lot more. I would nod out and I would swear that the TV in my room would be on. Often when I would be sniffing dope back in the day, I would lay in my bed after having smoked some bud (and hash if I had good money that day) and would close my eyes only to fall into some crazy vivid world. I swear by this.

When I was younger and just starting to get into dope (14-15 years old or so) me and my buddies would get jammed in a place called the Arboretum wich is a large beautiful place filled with rare and exotic plants and trees. But, this place would get quite frightening at night, considering sometimes we would be so deep in it it would take 20-30 minutes to get to a road. One friend of mine really lost it one night on dope and swore he was visually hallucinating strongly. Its never been bad or frightening for me. Thought I'd share my experience.

Great thread though.

17. Crotch

Crotch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    SWIM sometimes gets very mild closed eye visuals after smoking a lot of heroin. Mostly colors. Also when he is nodding and can't keep his eyes open, he may see a wierd shaddow or something when he forces his eyes open with his fingers. It doesn't freak SWIM out, it's actualy kind of interesting.

18. lovage

lovage Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I feel like she has been missing out, she has never had hallucinations either visual or auditory on heroin.

19. wazup7

wazup7 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    SWIM definitely experiences the auditory hallucinations mentioned in this thread. Like others have said, it's difficult to explain. He doesn't really "hear things" in the normal sense, but rather, he "wakes up" to the fact that there "were" strange noises in his head that are "now" gone. It's kind of like a very gradual buildup of noise, thats so gradual, he doesn't notice it. Then the noise immediately stops, and SWIM recognizes the silence.

I should add that he has had a very many psychedelic experiences, and that he would not be surprised if these "hallucinations" while on H are a direct symptom of his prior L use.

20. Respectspowdwers

Respectspowdwers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Definitely reassuring to know I am not the only one mainly closed eye visuals and the peripheral visual distortions. It does however Seem to vary greatly between batches.