Culture - Austrailian Members: clinical opinion on opiates for non-cancer chronic pain?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by yahouda, Jan 14, 2005.

1. yahouda

yahouda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    71 y/o
    Hi,

Might be transferred to Sydney.

What is the medical communities attitude on using opiates for non cancer chronic pain.

Thanks,

Y

2. accountphil

accountphil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I live in Sydney and alot of the medical community will support you and offer you methodone but you will get lucky if you look hard enough and find a great doctor that will give you the good stuff. I would say it is alot better than the USA and alot worse than England. However street heroin is still reasonably easy to get but nothing like the good old days of the 1990's but the quality is still a hell of alot better than the U.S. and most of Europe. The only problem is the price but for a Western country it is pretty cheap. Back on the doctors I used to have s sympathetic doctor that couldn't give me opiates but he would give me plenty of scripts a week to swap for Heroin. I used to get about 10 packs of Xanax a week for $35 from the govt. and could swap these easily. The other good thing about Australia is if you do get your opiate script prescriptions in Australia cost $20 or $3.50 if you have a concession card. If you do come remember the word Cabramatta. Hope it helps and if you find a great doctor let me know.

3. yahouda

yahouda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    71 y/o
    Hi and thanks for some very valuable info.

Will the followinghelp me.

I plan to come with my medical files showing that regarding my non cancer chronic pain, I've been on a program of long and short acting opiates aswell as Ritalin to help with drowsiness. I've had the same doctor for 20 yrs and have not shown drug seeking behavior, (I always have meds left over and dont't show up 3 days early for my prescription, I never lose them and their never stolen) I've also had all the x-rays and am constantly trying documented other methods of pain controle.

With that package and my doctors willingnes to confirm this with whatever local doctor I choose, am I liable to find a doctor easily whose willing to continue the same treatment.

In Canada if doctors document all your efforts and can show that your not an addict in the traditional sense they are less likely to be scrutinized for over perscribing opiates. My doctor told me that (out of hundreds) he only has 3 patients that he dispenses opiates to at the volume that I get them unless their dying.

I get 200 oxycontin 40mg and oxycodone 20mg (n0 tylenol) every two weeks with 175 Tussionex (cough tablets with 5mg Hydrocodone) and 180 20mg Ritalin and 60 lorazapam 6mgevery month. I've basically not increased my dosage in the last 18mnths.

Whadayathink

Y.

4. heathen

heathen Newbie

Reputation Points:
    In Australia we have clinics at hospitals called "pain
    clinics" if you find a doctor to refer you to one of these.Maybe you
    will need to get your overseas doctor to contact the one here
    when you find one,there are some compassionate doctors here but you may
    need to look around,as you probably know not every doctor is a good one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017