Ayahuasca basics

Discussion in 'DMT and Ayahuasca' started by BA, Jan 4, 2004.

1. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This brew, also called yage, or yaje, in Colombia, ayahuasca in Ecuador and Peru (Inca "vine of the dead, vine of the souls," aya means in Quechua "spirit," "ancestor," "dead person," while huasca means "vine," "rope") caapi in Brazil, is prepared from segments of the vine Banisteriopsis Caapi. Sections of vine are boiled with leaves from any of a large number of potential admixture plants (such as but not limited to; Psychotria viridis or Diplopterys cabrerana) resulting in a brew that contains the powerful hallucinogenic alkaloids harmaline, harmine, d-tetrahydroharmine, and often N,N-dimethyltryptamine. This medicine has been used for millennia in order to enter the sacred supernatural world, to heal, divine, and worship

1. 3/5,
      this is the start of a good thread
      Sep 30, 2008
  2. Bluelight25

Bluelight25 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    There are a vew things you can expect from imbibing a good dose of Ahyahuasca. There's a telepathic component -whether the people using it simply THINK they're telepathic or they actually ARE communicating telepathically is up in the air. ++++ definitely, though:

Disassociation ["Did I say that? Did you say that?"] Time loops [going back to the same 5 minutes over and over again] Time jumping [beginning of time, end of time], disentegration of self, disentegration of reality [breakdown of three dimensions into two dimensions] and Remote Viewing. [I'm surprised the CIA hasn't started strapping Standford kids into chairs by now.]

1. 3/5,
      Seemed helpful and somewhat insightful
      Jun 27, 2006
  3. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    How long does the ayahuasca experience last? Usually dmt is a very short experience but since this is its oral method of use, like evrythign else im sure it last longer but how much longer? an hour? 4 hours?

4. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    Ayahuascha usually peaks for 2-4 hours, depending on dose, however I've had one ayahuasca experience that lasted 8 hours. I think it lasted so long because I had trouble letting go of my ego and spent most of the time trying to fight the effects(don't do that!). I think that when you've taken a psychedelic you have no choice but to experience it's effect, but if you somehow manage to fight it, keep it at distance, than you will be trapped in that pre-trip state until you decide to pass on through it. This is why some people never "come down", because they haven't yet "gone through". Stanislav Grof suggests this in his books on LSD crisis, I don't know if it's correct, but from my own experience with bad trips on both LSD, Ayahuascha and mushrooms, it seems to be quite probable, the duration of the experience has allways been pushed a lot further than the dosage would indicate.

1. 3/5,
      good
      Sep 30, 2008
  5. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    brews and uses:

This is a look at my brewing of Ayahuasca . He usually brews up a batch for at least 3 to 4 and stores the rest, this makes cleaning a one time deal.

I use Syrian Rue seeds as the MAOI. for two reasons. Rue is very affordable for the amount you receive. Rue will last you years and the potency does not have a noticeable drop. 3.5-4 grams rue is all that is needed. Grind rue to powder and gelcap it. Make sure you take a pill then space out 5 minutes, then take 2, space more time out then finish. There is no or little nausea this way. Any more then 4 grams of Rue is a waste and adds nausea. The second reason is about the added control of the experience Rue has combined to DMT.

The brew:

First get a nice big non-aluminum pot. Fill it with about half water and use Vinegar, lemon juice, etc. to make the liquid acidic. You will get use to the smell of acid in the steam as a measure of PH.

Weigh out your DMT plant matter. I will not use Mimosa for this type of brew because of undesirable nausea. Yes, Mimosa is cheaper but an xxxxxxx could save you a trip to the toilet.

Psychotria viridisSWIM may have had bad vendors in the past with old material but 40 grams were needed for one person.

Diplopterys cabrerana – personal choice for SWIM. 40 grams is enough for two really big Ayahuasca doses. I took 15 grams once and was at the edge of the audio wave that grows and rises up past the point of hearing others thoughts and into that space beyond.

Brewing:

• 1) Add the plant leaves to the acidic water and let lightly boil, check and add water as needed for 2 hours.
    • 2) Remove the plant matter to a dish and save. Poor the liquid into a Pyrex dish trying to filter out as many of the particles that you can (I use a fine metal screen formed into a bowl shape.)
    • 3) put the Pyrex dish in the oven on a low setting to allow it to evaporate down, check often.
    • 4) repeat step 1 using the saved plant material but after 2 hours place the pot into a freezer overnight then let it boil for an hour in the morning.
    • 5) repeat step 2 adding both liquids into the Pyrex dish. Let the liquid evaporate down to about the amount that 6 shot glasses could hold. Do not over boil the liquid or heat it to rapidly while evaporating or the liquid will turn to syrup. The liquid will be an unmistakable reddish in color.
    Use:

do not eat for 4-6 hours before and be aware of the dangers of MAOI interactions. Take the 4'ish grams of rue in gel caps as stated. In about 15-20 minutes you will get the alert as well as a light shimmering effect on flat surfaces that seems linked to a buzzy feeling in the legs and arms and such.

If this is your first brew with a new source of plant material then start low. Use your own judgment. If you take to much DMT then you will most likely fall asleep before you hit 2 hours.

SWIM tends to start seeing morphing objects with a strange neon like edge structure coming off the walls and around edges at first. An audio tone or pitch is heard and very slowly rises in frequency. As this rise in the audio wave continues the visuals grow marketably stronger. The ceiling will drip to the floor in places and looking away to cull the visions for a few seconds will become impossible. Frame slipping will begin to occur though most don't go walking around. At some point you will close your eyes and the audio wave will literally blast upward, louder and louder as if you are about to rupture threw a new door you were unaware of. For SWIM at this point at the edge of visions of this world and the oddness of the next telepathy or telepathy like events happens as people can be heard thinking typical human thoughts. Even if you are alone this happens for SWIM though I live near several families. Beyond this is where SWIM stops, No words.

If you don't fall asleep (or loose the ability to remember all this content) then when you open your eyes later you will find yourself in a world of wacky visions, more so then you will be use to for falling away from a peak.

It really isn't like mushrooms at all. My thoughts were clear and his inner dialog that he gets on mushrooms becomes completely silent except for a sense of extreme amazement. :eek:

DO NOT POST PRICES!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
    1. 4/5,
      informative post!
      Jul 11, 2011
    2. 3/5,
      allways a good poster
      Sep 30, 2008
    3. 3/5,
      Very detailed post.
      Jun 27, 2006
    4. 4/5,
      good info
      Apr 18, 2006
    5. 4/5,
      Nice post
      Apr 7, 2006
    6. 4/5,
      Good ayahuasca post!
      Apr 5, 2006
  6. big-lester

big-lester Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    SWIBL would love to do ayahuasca in the future, but he wants to do it in south-america with a shaman.

are there a lot of people that do ayahuasca (alone OR with friends) at home or somewhere in nature, but without a shaman?

the experience sounds really intense, isn't this one of those things that you dshould do with a sitter? (unless you're with a shaman ofcourse)

7. Universal Expat

Universal Expat Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from kazakhstan
    I have a good question. Does the tea have to be freshly brewed? Or can one brew the tea.. but it in the fridge and ingest at a later date?

8. Silence_Inc

Silence_Inc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    you can keep it in the fridge for some time. few months is do-able. there could show some dirty film on the surface after some time ... but you just have to throw that away. - this is what someone told me - so others with more specific info are welcom.

9. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from cuba
    When SWIM stumbles upon his ingredients, he likes to brew it all at once. Since it is enough for many doses, SWIM places the brew into mason jars and freezes it, and it will stay potent for many months this way. If You plans on drinking it within a few weeks, just put it in the fridge so you don't have to thaw it out. After storing for a while it will ferment, so add a little dH2O and boil for a few minutes for taste.

Since this is the aya basics thread...
    There are quite a few tips and tricks for ayahuasca. In SWIM's opinion, it beats any psychedelic hands down if you do it right. You have to find the right ingredients/doses that work for you. The only reason that I can think of why aya isn't the most popular is because the people are doing it wrong. People end up using bad preps/ingredients that cause them to either not feel it or have too much nausea, and people have mind shattering experiences that are too much for them to handle from dosing too high. People are usually more afraid of the purge, when they should be worried about how deep aya can take them. The purge really isn't that bad, you'll learn to love it after time.

There really isn't a specific list of things one can do in order to have the best experience. It varies from person to person, so the best thing you can do is to just be smart. Do the research for the best preps and ingredients, stick to a tyramine-free diet, fast at least 5 hours before dosing, and start low as with any other psychedelic.
    Oh, and steer clear of rue and mimosa.

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/19937
    https://drugs-forum.com/threads/18091
    For best research and advice, ayahuasca.com

1. 5/5,
      great post! Thanks!
      Jul 27, 2006
    2. 4/5,
      good info
      Jul 7, 2006
  10. machine_elf

machine_elf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Is a brew necessary though? I was thinking of ingestin 3g of syrin rue in gel caps and a quantity of powdered mimosa hostilis in gel caps. This would remove the need for a taxing brew.

11. Neosapien

Neosapien Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A quantity of Mimosa like ten grams?
    Have fun with that.
    Sounds quite a bit more taxing than making a brew.

12. Veteran Joker

Veteran Joker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have recently accuired 30 grams of dried Banisteriopis Caapi. Trip sitters and nausea has been taken into account.

Now, how is the brew made? I have looked on erowid and the ayahuasca page, but there's no brewing instructions. I doubt shamans use gelatine capsules or freezing.

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Finely divided and boiled in H2O for all eternity. The addition of lemon helps to dissolve the harmala alkaloids (and dialkyltryptamines if those are being used). B. Caapi takes a long time to give up it's stuff. It is a wooden vine, after all. So cutting it up very fine is highly recommended.

14. Veteran Joker

Veteran Joker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Many thanks, I do not feel like using a pestle and motar, so coffee grinder it is.

It's safe to use citric acid? I thought that'd base it thus making it no longer consumable, what happens when the alkaloids react with acid?

15. TMM

TMM Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have been interested in ayahuasca for a long time, only recently beginning to put this interest into practice. Is it advisable to crush up or grind the DMT-containing plant matter before brewing, or does this make little/no difference? I haven't seen this discussed before, apologies if I've just missed it anywhere obvious.

16. kakakaka

kakakaka Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was thinking of trying a ayahuasca brew but isnt quite clear on a few things.

You need to take an MAOI in order for the DMT not to be broken down, so the syrian rue seeds are taken first then the leaves boiled into a brew containing the DMT would be taken second correct ?

Are syrian rue seeds just as effective as B. caapi bark ? Also how bad tasting is the brew, is it close to anything like a san pedro brew ??

My just trying to learn everything he can before he tries it :)

17. juanathan

juanathan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  18. Shampoo

Shampoo entity of sorts Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from france
    To answer the first question, on a practical level, the MAOI should be taken approximately 20 minutes, to half an hour before ingestion of the brew. As for the second question, the active component of both Syrian Rue and B. Caapi is Harmala, an effective mono-amine oxidase inhibitor, and only differ in the percentage content in the plant material (i.e. 3 of B. Caapi will not be the same effective dose as 3 grams Syrian Rue.)

The brew is vile. Kool-aid seemed to do the trick for SWIM, but everyone has different taste values... As for a comparison to the San Pedro brew, it is much less viscous, so it goes down easier, and usually has less volume, than the cactus brew. Check out this thread for more information https://drugs-forum.com/threads/42443 .

Be Safe

19. kakakaka

kakakaka Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks Shampoo, very nice topic indeed.

I have access to various leaves and also powdered/bark mimosa hostilis, is there really any difference between the two of them ?

20. Shampoo

Shampoo entity of sorts Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from france
    Your welcome. The biggest difference is in the quantity of DMT and the fat content. If doing an extraction, a defatting process is negligible with bark, but not with leaves. The DMT content of Chacruna leaves is about 0.10-0.66%, while the inner root bark of Mimosa contains between 0.58-1.0% DMT. The other alkaloids in the plant make up less than 1% of the total alkaloids in both materials, so only DMT will be an active ingredient.