Ayahuasca recipes

Discussion in 'DMT and Ayahuasca' started by Brizzles, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Brizzles

Brizzles Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am interested in trying ayahuasca, yet there are so many different recipes out there that he is not sure which one to use. What are some good ayahuasca recipes that are proven to work? This forum discusses a few recipes, but it would be nice to have some official and trial tested methods provided in an easy to understand way.

2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from cuba
    I have been drinking the mother vine for some time now, but just recently started brewing himself. During SWIM's time with aya he has seen her brewed many different ways, and this is the best way he knows (using his preferred ingredients of yellow vine and chacruna)...

1. Gather enough vine and leaf so that you have 50g caapi and 50g viridis per person, and make sure you add an extra dose or two in there in case of premature purging.

2. Take your vine and shred it. You can do this however you like, I use a metal mallet to pound and pick it apart, just try not to get it all over the place. It doesn't have to be perfectly finely shredded vine, just broken up pretty good into long thin strings. Tear apart your viridis leaves also.

3. Toss all of your ingredients into a big stew pot (use steel NEVER aluminum). Take a jug of distilled water, which can be found in any supermarket in gallon jugs next to spring water. Pour enough water that will cover the ingredients, and then add about 50% more of what you just added. So if it took 3 liters to cover all of your material, add another 1.5 liters. While you're doing this, make sure you remember exactly how many liters you add. For every liter of water you added, add 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar(white will work too) into your pot. NEVER use lemon and using any other type of acid will usually show up in the final brew resulting in premature purge. Stir all of this up pretty good, put the top on and let it soak on your countertop for 8-12 hours.

4. Now that you're done letting the acidic water suck out the goodies, you're ready to brew. Take off the top, put the pot on the stove and let it come to a simmering boil. Not a roaring boil, but a nice smooth boil. Do this for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, adding bits of water along the way making sure it doesn't get too low.

5. Now grab another pot, a big piece of cheesecloth, and another pair of hands. Have those hands hold the cheesecloth over the empty pot, while you slowly decant your brew through this filter. Now you'll have a mush of ingredients in one pot, and liquid in the other. Put the pot with the liquid to the side.

6. Add the same amount of fresh water you added last time to the pot with the ingredients, except this time only add a half of a tablespoon per liter of water. Do step 4 again, but you only need to do this for 2 hours, not 3. Grab the pot you put to the side, and repeat step 5.

7. Repeat step 6.

8. Now you have done 3 different washes, one for 3 hours and two for 2 hours. One pot will have the ingredients, and one pot will have the 3 combined washes. If the ingredients still look like they have a lot of actives in it, you can do a 4th wash if you like, but usually it's not needed. Discard the pot with the ingredients, and put the other pot back on the stove. Slowly simmer this liquid down to the amount you want to drink. If you evaporate it down a lot you will end up with a thick brew, but will only need to take one small gulp. If you just simmer it down a little bit it won't be thick, you'll have a little more to drink, but it tastes a lot better. I personally simmer down to about a half of a cup per dose so I can slowly sip it.

You're done!

Do the simple math to determine how much brew equals 50g caapi and 50g viridis and divide it up. If you're not going to drink right away just put it in a mason jar and toss in the fridge. The brew can last quite a long time if sealed right. After a few weeks it will ferment like beer or wine, but this is still safe to drink. Just add a little water and boil for a few minutes and it won't taste as bad.

If you're using Mimose Hostilis Rootbark instead of viridis, follow the same instructions, but you need to brew it in a separate pot from the caapi. Dose about 5-10g per person with mimosa, and drink it 10-20 minutes after the caapi. If you're using cabrerana instead of viridis you can brew it with the caapi, just use half the amount you would use of viridis.

This is the best prep I have used thus far. There are certain things you can do to make the process quicker, but you're not going to end up with the best final result. There are also things to do to end up with a better result, but it takes a lot longer. This is the simplest way to end up with a pretty strong brew, while getting the most out of your ingredients compared to the time spent.

3. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    Won't there be a nasty taste of vinegar? I really can't stand that smell.

4. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from cuba
    Vinegar is one of the only acids that will completely boil out. I know some people who use phos acid, lemon juice, etc. and they all are in the final result, making the brew much harsher on the stomach. Almost all of the vinegar will be gone after about an hour and a half into each wash's boil, and whatever is left will dissipate during the reduction.

Once in a great while, if you're using white vinegar, there will still be a hint of smell after the reduction. If there is, add a little more water to the reducing pot and simmer for a little longer. Use cider vinegar, and this won't be a problem.

If you're still worried about it, just use less. You can also just not use any acid at all, but you're wasting quite a bit of you're ingredients. I would at least recommend using vinegar for the overnight cold water soak. Just experiment with it... Try it once with and once without and you'll see for yourself what changing the pH of your boils can do for you. :)

5. plantshaman

plantshaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    the best place for ayahuasca brewing info would be the forums at ayahuasca home page. vineager and lemon are old school. If I am dealing with dry material I will have better luck with an acid thats a bit stronger.

6. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from cuba
    The only other acid I would personally use is food grade phos acid. If you're into ingesting muriatic acid, go for it. The caapi is enough of a purgative for SWIM.

7. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    300mg harmaline
    100mg DMT

second capsule 15 minutes after the first. say goodbye to your everyday reality ;) if you are after this type of an experience there are easier ways though... like smoking it... or this...

:hoover:

cheers :beer:

8. xtiml

xtiml Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I had good results with 3 g syrian rue and 16 mimosa hostilis root bark simmered 20 minutes three times mesh filter coffe. SWIM ground the rue and put it in a shot glass and with fresh lime juice downed an hour before. it was a full on 7 hour trip, watch it be careful boys and girls. EDITED BY MARSOFOLD

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
  9. RunRedFox

RunRedFox Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    vinegar doesnt cause a strong purge??? swims heard it does and is contemplating using his dmt extract for ayahuasca instead of crystal if this is so.

10. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    Hmmh... just offtopic, is it the combination of MAOI that causes purge in aya, or, less likely, some extra alkaloids in the plant material(DMT doesn't cause anything like that when smoked).

11. Marsofold

Marsofold Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    The tannins in Mimose Hostilis Rootbark irritate the stomach, as does crude extracts from rue or caapi (less so with caapi). It is possible to completely avoid nausea by making pharmahuasca (extraction of both Mimose Hostilis Rootbark and rue/caapi to crystals). More work, but negligible nausea...

12. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    If making "pharmahuasca", how much of a difference would it make if one swallowed both extracts at the same time, compared to ingesting Caapi a while before DMT? Would it be a waste?

13. Marsofold

Marsofold Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    It would be less efficient to take them both in the same pill because the effects wouldn't perfectly overlap in time, but undoubtedly it would work...