Bad-faith Raids

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by Alfa, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    BAD-FAITH RAIDS
    It is something of a mystery why federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents raided HopeNet, a medical cannabis dispensary said to serve about 30 patients a day in San Francisco, on Dec. 20.
    It followed a series of raids in San Diego on Dec. 12 that closed 13 cannabis dispensaries.
    No arrests were made in any of the raids, but some patients are concerned that these raids are a prelude to a major effort to close down cannabis clubs statewide.
    But we could wait quite a while for another shoe to drop.
    The backdrop to all this is the fact that California law and federal law are different regarding the medical use of cannabis, or marijuana.
    Especially since the Supreme Court ruling last June in Raich v.
    Ashcroft, federal law prohibits growing, possessing or using marijuana completely, even for medical purposes, and even if such activities occur entirely within the borders of a state that authorizes the use of marijuana through the recommendation of a licensed physician, as California has since voters passed the Compassionate Use Act in 1996.
    After last summer's Supreme Court decision, DEA officials said it was unlikely they would pursue patients using marijuana in accordance with state law. "The reality is, we don't have the time or resources to do anything other than going after large-scale traffickers and large-scale growers," McGregor Scott, U.S. attorney in Sacramento, told reporters in June. The rule-of-thumb guideline has traditionally been that the feds are interested almost exclusively in sites with 1,000 or more plants.
    In Northern California, the DEA began with a raid in the Sonoma County town of Penngrove that turned up 217 plants, which led to a raid on the San Francisco home of Steve Smith and his wife, Catherine, proprietors of HopeNet, at which 122 small plants were confiscated. When DEA agents then went to HopeNet in San Francisco, the manager asked to see a warrant, which the agents didn't have. The DEA, presumably having secured a warrant, returned at night, kicked in the doors and seized what they claim were 500 plants and club records.
    As we noted, nobody has been arrested in either the San Diego (which was a joint state-federal operation) or San Francisco raids.
    We hope this is the end of the story rather than the beginning of a concerted effort to disrupt California's medical marijuana laws. As Dale Giereinger, head of the California branch of the National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws, said, there are now probably too many small-time medical growers and dispensaries in California for the feds to have a serious impact on the implementation of California's law.
    To be sure, the feds have the legal authority to arrest casual users and patients with a single joint. But it would be an enormous and unpopular waste of taxpayers' money.

2. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    It looks like rthe Feds are trying to make an example of a few shops with the hope that it will discourage others from either continuing operation or starting up a new club.

This kind of action is in direct (and apparently contemptuous) contradiction of the will of the people.

THAT'S why I say they're a bunch of FUCKING NAZIS!

3. C2001

C2001 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It's a shame that people can't all do what we want without interference as far as this goes, but don't you think that's a little harsh? They're enforcing federal drug laws, not supporting genocide.

1. 2/5,
      No comment was given
      Jan 17, 2006
  4. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just like the nazi's, they are taking steps one by one all over the rights of the people; so they're not to the genocide step yet, but that doesn't mean it's too far to compare them to the NAZI's.

Why do you have to be so sensitive about the bush jokes and the 'fuck the man' generic responses we have to the government stomping our rights?

Our you a cop or some sort of member of the media trying to find a reason to say this forum is bad?

I vote you go away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  5. C2001

C2001 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Just because I'm not angry at the people who you're angry at doesn't mean I'm against this forum. I've reported your post as it is nothing but flaming. Please be more respectful to my opinions in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
    1. 2/5,
      No comment was given
      Jan 17, 2006
  6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey Pink: He joined yesterday and already has 21 posts and counting. Don't worry about any complaints this critter makes. We are watching.

7. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    sorry guys but i agree w him on this one. his opinions are his own, and he is free to express them as he sees fit: as long as it is in the boundaries of decent human behavior, he can even bee LE, its okay w me.

e.g. i think that LE, esp the net LE are the lowest kind of human form, try to entrap us and we will expose for what you are LE bastr....um..trailed off a bit there,heh..lemme fix dat there:snort: ...thaaaar we go

8. C2001

C2001 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What's LE?:confused:

9. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    LE is law enforcement.

At Ruby Ridge, LE who shot a woman in the head when she was holding a baby in her hands did so under the premis that they were enforcing federal laws.

After a two month siege, women and childeren who died at Waco in 1993 met their deaths at the hands of Federal Agents who claim they were in the process of "serving a warrant." The Fire that consumed the structure they were defending was the subject of a Federal investigation conducted by Federal authorities who determined that the Federal agents involved in the disaster were not responsible for any wrong doing. (Gee! Imagine that.)

...as for the NAZIS at Auschwitz, well THEY were just following orders, TOO!

10. bonghed

bonghed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Law enforcement, well really it's just LEEEWNN, how i feel about my rights and privacy beng invaded is fairly obvious, so i'll just leave it at that. WNN stands for where not necessary or anything else. peace

sorry wood missed that answer, and he's banned anyways,

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  11. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Back to the subject, medical cannabis is better than the poison that the drs. hand out. Especially on MS. Americans for Safe Access has a good newsletter out about California, worth reading. Why can't the feds leave the patients along?

12. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Live Free Or Die! Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    55 y/o from Cayo Loco
    The local sherriff was quoted as saying that on the day before the raid, he saw David when he went into the post office to get the mail, and that he could have been arrested without incident right then and there. He also said that anytime he needed to talk to David, he would just call him and ask him to stop by the station and never had no complaints. Strangely enough, there was never an inquiry as to the presense of Special Forces troops from Israel, Great Britian, and at least two other countries that were there as "observers". As a former "technical advisor" myself, I know exactly what that means! Most of this can be confirmed at Russ Kick's Disinfo.com site

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    When they "served their warrant" by smashing a hole into the Davidian structure - house - and pumped in tear-gas, the Feds acknowledged the CS gas was propelled with propane, which is extremely flammable. They also acknowledged that they had cut off power to the structure and knew that kerosene heaters were being used. Kerosene heater = open flame.

What does propane + open flame =?

I would say it equals anything from gross neglience upwards to pre-meditated homicide.

14. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    = Waco 2.0

San Diego also got hit again recently ----> http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v06/n947/a06.html?240894

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006