basing Codeine

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by BeetleJuice, Jul 19, 2006.

1. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Hey,

I have been bugging me for awhile about how to get pureish codeine base using just the first step of the "home bake" method.From what iv read it goes a little somthing like this==

Crush sufficient pills to yield 2 g of codeine and mix with distilled water. Filter with a vacuum funnel to remove insolubles and add to a separatory funnel. Add NaOH solution to make the solution pH 12. Extract twice with chloroform (2x25 mL). This will be the bottom layer. Discard the water layer, which contains the aspirin or acetominophen) and evaporate the chloroform layer to dryness under gentle heat. The result is codeine base, a white crystalline powder. ===

Now that seems easy enogh for SWIM but it seems he doesent know much about chloroform and what its uses are an what kind of place to look for it, so my mexican friend was wondering if there is a substitute one can use instead of chloroform or if anyone can help him out with any kind of info on the situation..

Thanks

2. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Probably easier just to remove most of the Acetominophen/paracetamol via CWE.

3. markdahman

markdahman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Here

Well yes im sure that would work.. But lets not believe everything our grandma's tell us!

Now for real crush all the pills up
    1)Do a CWE
    Or aka cold water extraction (Search engine)
    2)Then once its all chilled solution pour water into new cup leaving aspirin in botom of old cup (fractional distilation??)
    3)Then add Baking soda till the Ph of the solution reaches a base then evaporate the water and smoke it like crack!

Well i dont know why youd wanna base it.... maybe to smoke? I dont know i have not been able 2 find one reference saying its possible 2 get psychoactive effects from smoking based codein so i dont know...
    But i have done this before and it looked the same as a non based extracted codein... But it was harder. I only did it cause with based codein you need 2 take less its better motabolised by the body!

4. BeetleJuice

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Hey mark, yea hes been doing CWEs for abit n works well enogh,altho hes never done your step 2 (always for some reason never thort to move the water to another dish when the asprin settles).

I dont really wanna smoke it coz i aint heard too much about it, i was thinking of maybe evapping then putting some C in some gel caps at around 150codine each.
    also do you know if there is a real differance if you evaperatate the water clear or if u base it with anything? , like is there a real point or would it be best to just get the crystals from a normal water extration?

thanks,sorry if some of it dont make sence

5. BeetleJuice

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Heyo,

iv been doing some more reading and i think (not sure,hope someone can confirm this) that if my mehican friend was to do the procedure that i first posted exactly exept replacing the chloroform with DCM (METHYLENE CHLORIDE) all would go well and as planned?
    would really like some help with this one to ease my mind

Ta

6. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    seems like alot of work to take codeine orally... not that much work, but why not just CWE and mix it into orange juice. If the intention is oral use why not leave the codeine in a stable form in the tablet till You wants to use then cwe it into some juice. I think by evaporating and such You will prob lose some yield along with just seeming unneeded.

7. BeetleJuice

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    thanks for the help,
    My friend has done cwe but when evaperation takes places n he weights it it always comes to at least over a gram of final product, which is not the best seeing as the codine content was around 400 mg. the reason he wanted to get pure codeine was so he can mesure out 150mg doses and cap em in capsules so whenever he wanted to have some on short notice he wouldent have to do the cwe (which takes around an hour).

8. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    You may want to try doing the CWE again on the evaporated product if he's getting a higher yield than he put in (this doesnt even seem possible?! unless its not done right or not fully evaporated?)

9. BeetleJuice

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    By higher yeilds i mean that more asprin gets though the filter then hed want.
    example is say he did an extraction of 50 tabs 8mg codeine/300mg asprin with a total of 400mg Codeine . at the end of the evap theld be say 1.5grams, assuming that at least 350mg of it is codeine and the rest is asprin/fillers.
    (somthing to note is the packs he uses says the asprin is dispersible,i donno if it makes a differance).
    He has tried to redo the cwe but when he puts the mixture back into water, he notices that all of the mixture disolves except for very few particals, which in his opinion looks more like the codeine instead of the asprin (shouldent it be the other way around?). by which stage he just gets confused and drinks it all up lol. anyways ill get him to make a step by step "guide" thread with pics soon as he can n post it up.
    just to clarify which section should he post the guide? the opiate chemistry or just the normal opiate section?

ta

Just a second thought that maybe the undisolved particals might be actual fillers an neither the asprin or codeine. eaither way the post will be up in the next few days.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  10. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    The opiate chemistry section would probably be the appropriate place to put an extraction (if its not CWE). If it is CWE, put it in the codeine section, and I'll combine it with some other info and make it into a sticky thread. Tell You good luck with the guide and pics!

11. BeetleJuice

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Cools, ta, ittle be up in the next 2 days