Baybean - (Canavalia rosea, maritima)

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Thirdedge, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Heres the info I have found on this. Be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried some.

Bay Bean (Canavalia Maritima, Canavalia rosea) (Fabaceae family Legume family)

Common Names: Beach-bean, jackbean , jackbean, maunaloa, puakauhi, wonderbean, friol de playa, Mackenzie bean. Kijimanu.

Description: Very fast growing sturdy vine from Gulf of Mexico.
    Coastal vine or trailing herb with light green semi-succulent leaves and striking pink flowers. The pods are green and around 12cm long.

Use(s): An infusion was made with the crushed roots and rubbed over the skin for rheumatism, general pain, skin disorders, and colds. It is claimed that leaves and seed pods are smoked like hemp. The beans produced by the bay bean are edible if the outer skin is removed from them and they are softened by boiling.

Habitat and conditions: Occurs all over the world in tropical and subtropical coastal locations. In it occurs from northern NSW up through Queensland and also in coastal Western Australia. In Queensland it is also sometimes found inland. It prefers warmth and can tolerate periods of drought. Full sun. The baybean is an excellent pioneering species on sandy beaches, dunes, and coastal scrub. It readily sets down roots at the nodes as it trails across beaches and dunes, the roots forming networks that aid in stabilizing sands. Culture: full sun, light shade, moist soil.
    Plant in frost free spots.

Canavalia rosea
    Threat Classification - 7 Range Restricted
    Qualifier - Secure overseas, One location Chen, W.-M., T.-M. Lee, et al. (2000). "Characterization of halotolerant rhizobia isolated from root nodules of Canavalia rosea from seaside areas." FEMS Microbiology Ecology 34(1): 9-16.

Propagation: seeds.

CANAVALIA MARITIMA - Leguminosae (Frijol de Playa)

RITUAL EMPLOYMENT:Canavalia Maritima is another very interesting plant on which more research has to been done. Canavalia is smoked on the Gulf Coast of Mexico as Marijuana substitute. Hemp is one of the best drugs known to man a (legal) plant with similar properties would be very useful. There is also no record of its use in primitive societies as a sacred hallucinogen, although seeds have been found in graves in Oaxaca and Yucatan Mexico and in Peru, in sites dating from 300 B.C. to A.D. 900.

The plant is smoked.

ACTIVE PRINCIPLES: L-Betonicine has been isolated from C.maritima, unfortunately there is no evidence that this compound is hallucinogen.

EFFECTS: The effects are reported to be similar to those of Marijuana.

DANGERS: I think personal experimentation with this plant would prove as very useful, there should be no danger.

Sea bean ( Canavalia maritima) South America, Africa- psychodelic, beans have aphrodisiac qualities, ingested or smoked in place of marijuana together with dried leaves. In antient America beans was used in magic and rituals, found in the prehistoric graves. The active substance is L-betonicine.

CANAVALIA MARITIMA
    A legume that is supposedly used as a marijuana substitute.
    Effects: Similar to marijuana; its psychoactive properties have not yet been isolated. The mature seeds of Canavalia ensiformis, or the jack bean, are roasted and used as a coffee substitute in the West Indies.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Well, I just read on another forum a report from a guy who grows this himself. He claims to smoke it for effects very similar to Cannabis, but milder. He also claims it causes short term memory loss similar to Cannabis (Cannabis memory loss is debatable), but doesn,t specify whether this is just while stoned or an after / ongoing effect.

I reckon an extract of this could proove very interesting and would strongly urge anyone with access to this plant to at least give it a try. And please, let us all know how you get on:)

3. MrG

MrG Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Has anyone got any additional info to add to this thread?

I found a source who claims that this can be ingested or smoked in place of marijuana and that it has aphrodisiac qualities.

Would love to hear from anybody who can post a trip report on it.

4. thenightwatch

thenightwatch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A post from another forum:

Seems very interesting. Most of the baybean products on the market seem to be seeds/foliage or extractions thereof. Could the resin from this flower be what they add to all the various herbal smoking blends?

5. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Many of the online reports claim the extract to do not much, but say it does seem to potentate other things.

However, I just read someones claim that the flowers contain a psychoactive resin that attracts and inebriates insects, that then sober up and go on to pollinate other flowers, perhaps the extract needs to be made from the flowers to be effective?

6. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM always thought that it was the inner material of the large seeds that was used to effect when smoked. Would be worth experimenting with if the plant could be grown.

7. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have since read that the seeds themselves were the psychoactive. I have also since found the reference to the flowers triggering a high. Either way, I recently got a good amount of extract and will be commencing trials shortly.
    Has anyone used this 10x extract yet ? (seems there is only one around..) I am particularly interested in routes of administration. I am reluctant to smoke or vaporize the hard, amber material SWIM received... any documented oral use ?

8. ponderaeternus

ponderaeternus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    While this is an older post, it may interest some readers to now that Canavalia rosea has been named as one of the major ingredients in the up and coming herbal smoke blend known as K2. Accounts seem to equate this blend to the effects of Marijuana, though with a shorter-lived peak. There are some contradictory opinions to that, but either way, this plant (which grows naturally on many tropic and subtropic dunes), is indeed a key ingredient in K2.

9. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    The active ingredients in K2 and other smoking blends are Synthetic Cannabinoids.
    Where have you been living for the past 5 years?

Initially when Spice hit the markets people assumed that it was one of the ingredients listed on the packet that was some sort of under looked magical plant, suspicion fell on Baybean by a lot of people.
    But none of the listed ingredients are active at a level to produce the effects that these smoking blends produce.

Its very old news, very very old news.

10. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM experimented a few times with 10X exact from a very reliable source. I found it to have virtually no effect. Then again, I am a heavy user of the real thing, so if the active binds to CN1 or CN2, SWIM's tolerance may be interfering. I have yet to see an else from the plant world which equates to the effects of cannabis and believes such a creature is mythical.
    It has been a long time and SWIM still has a good amount of the extract, having accidentally double ordered it, so maybe I will try again and report back. Note SWIM's trails were oral ingestion (in hot water as tea), up to a gram each time of the extract. I would love to get some plant material but it is hard to come by, the plant being somewhat endangered.

1. 4/5,
      Thanks for the report on the use of this rare plant.
      Jan 21, 2010
  11. twoiko

twoiko Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    2 had his fair share of a few herbs now, including: Bay Bean leaves, Wild Dagga flowers and Indian Warrior Flowers/Foliage.

He would say that Bay bean was the most LIKE Cannabis but still not quite, just very relaxing. Very mild effects at any dosage.

He also said Wild Dagga was the strongest psychedelic but still very weak in comparison to Cannabis.

He thinks Indian Warrior was much more like a muscle relaxant when taken in larger doses but could potentially become a problem as it gets tolerance quite quickly although it definitely had the strongest effects, particularly when combined with other herbs.

Keep in mind he was using combinations mostly, he at least tried each herb 1 time on its own. He found they were all best as potentiators rather than smoking them alone, as opposed to the good ol' herb.

12. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Ok, I am bumping this thread to give his two bucks.

A friend of mine recently purchased some Baybean, regular not extract, to have the little friendly tiger try the stuff.

Well, the leafy mess appears very 'light' and shredded, with many thin twigs that can be easily broken and participate in the whole situation.
    The animal has almost zero tolerance both to the real thing and synthetics.
    Since spliffs is the most preferred method, proceed to roll a half-half with tobacco one. Smoke was not harsh at all, nothing like dagga or catnip for instance.
    All in all, he can say from the little animal's reaction, baybean was the closest herb to mj in effects, probably beats the dagga..for the animal.

My friend said me in the invoice that the latin name was 'canavalia maritima', though in the small paper covers the bag labeled as 'canavalia rosea'

Btw the fabacea thing seems interesting, many botanicals in this family have 'dopaminergic properties', i.e. velvet bean, fava beans, (contain l-dopa), but do not take the word of swim for that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    1. 4/5,
      Thanks for the report, sounds promising.
      Jun 24, 2010
  13. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I tried oral dosing of the extract and didn't really notice anything. I have a high tolerance to weed so it may be it was too weak to stimulate SWIM's cannabinoid receptors. Vaporizing some of the extract also didn't really have any discernible effect. It was worth a try though...

14. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I have cleaned up this thread and deleted all irrelevant posts

There seem to be a lot of different extracts around. When posting about your experience & effects, please include what strength the extract was.

15. Freedom of Mind

Freedom of Mind Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have a large amount of 50x Carnavalia Maritima/BayBean Leaf Extract Powder, its a brown fine powder and can get sticky when I get it on his fingers likely due to moisture. Smoking the stuff doesn't seem realistic, as its not really in much of a smokable form.

So this stuff should work orally as well? If SWIM consumed a gram of this should he expect to be stoned or should it be used in combination with something else to get any real effect?

16. papa-g

papa-g Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    first time post. I live near the gulf stream beaches where Baybean grows wild. Some people I met told me about this amazing vine that can stone you. Its been said that one of the flowers in a bong is all that is used. Ive seen it in action, true story. Also the leaves work quite well. I cant believe that this stuff isnt more popular. Its growing all over the dunes around here.
    Another observation; I decided to research Baybean and noticed on more than one site that sells Baybean , the photo shown is not Baybean but another vine that looks just like it with the exception of the flowers and pods being unmistakeable. The Baybean flower looks like a small orchid whereas the railroad vine has a morning glory looking blossom.
    Ive read here that some folks tried Baybean and got no results.
    Im wondering if some people were sold the wrong foliage.
    More research to follow. peace

1. 4/5,
      Thanks for sharing your experience. Some photos would be a great addition.
      Feb 6, 2012
  17. sweetleaf64

sweetleaf64 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is my first post.

Swim currently has about half an ounce of this material.
    Smoking causes a head rush, nothing even close to what cannabis provides. I have also never been able to repeat his first experience in totallity even waiting months has proven futile.
    Some months ago Swim obtained a 50x extract which comes in hard chunks. Smoking did not seem like it would work in it's current state, and I had never heard of anyone eating it. So not wanting to waste it he used just enough rubbing alcohol to make it a liquid again, then evaporated it into damiana. I found that the damiana was very hard to smoke and did not produce much of an effect.

I believe that Baybean is most likely all hype. I think it has just gained notoriety since it was in some of the "spice" products. I could be completely wrong however. Swim will make a tea out of this in the coming days with his remaining stash although he's not expecting anything.
    I will post after swim tries it.

1. 4/5,
      Useful addition to the thread, particularly the observation regarding having once got a buzz of sorts and then nothing since. I look forward to your report about trying it as a tea.
      Feb 7, 2012
    2. 4/5,
      Thanks for sharing your experience
      Feb 6, 2012
  18. papa-g

papa-g Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Since bay bean is legal I decided totry it myself. Not bad, very mild smoke (foliage only). I tried a tea and found little to no effects. I also tried one flower in a bong. Stronger effects but still not like cannibis as I remember. Why would anything be like cannabis if its not cannabis? I will test the beans next time I go to the beach and get some. Im considering planting some at the ranch to see if itll grow inland as well. It should. I want to gather alot more of those flowers. beach bud I call em. I will get back to you on this.

19. DoctorGnarfsatchel

DoctorGnarfsatchel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I just got a sample of Bay Bean 10x with my Kratom order. Will post back with a review soon.

1. 3/5,
      Please only post with content. There is no need to post to tell people you will post soon.
      May 28, 2012
  20. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    most legumes contain toxins, some are only present in the seeds and some are prestin in the whole plant. long term it can cause favanism.. of course most Fabaceae or Leguminosae have different types of toxins ( some are non-toxic )... some toxins can be destroyed by heat or some can be extracted by soaking. it bay bean does contains toxics it wouldn't make you sick instantly - it probably would cause problems with prolonged use.

because it's looks pretty and innocent doesn't make it safe... when you use something out of Fabaceae or Leguminosae family you have to check for any toxins.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
Tags: