Scientific Study Beckley foundation: self-blinding microdosing study

Discussion in 'Surveys' started by Alfa, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    118 y/o from The Netherlands
    The Beckley/Imperial Psychedelic Research Programme is excited to announce its new collaborative study on psychedelic microdosing. The Naturalistic Self-Blinding Microdose Study is designed and led by Dr. Balázs Szigeti and Dr. David Erritzoe MRCPsych of Imperial College London, in partnership with Amanda Feilding of the Beckley Foundation.

Psychedelic microdosing is a growing phenomenon, with tens of thousands of personal stories existing online. These range from entrepreneurs trying to improve workplace efficiency, to individuals struggling with mental health issues. Despite the growing popularity of microdosing, there is only anecdotal evidence for many of its apparent benefits. The Beckley/Imperial Psychedelic Research Programme, which in 2016 produced the world’s first fMRI images of the human brain on LSD, is now undertaking the first placebo-controlled naturalistic study into psychedelic microdosing.

This study will also be unique in our use of an entirely novel self-blinding protocol. Voluntary participants who are currently, or are planning to start microdosing will track their progress on their own initiative – but in a development from other microdosing surveys, the participants will set up their own placebo control. This ‘self-blinding’ design will allow us to investigate for the first time whether the purported benefits of microdosing are due to the placebo effect, or the pharmacological action of the psychedelic.

The placebo control will be implemented by placing both microdoses and empty capsules into sealed envelopes, which will be labelled (with QR codes) and then distributed according to a particular schedule. Participants won’t know whether their capsules contain a microdose or an empty placebo until the end of the study.

The central hypothesis of our study is that psychedelic microdosing can increase psychological well-being and may also enhance certain cognitive functions. Throughout the experiment, participants will be required to complete computer-based tasks designed to measure cognitive performance (e.g. attention, memory, reasoning). Participants will also fill out questionnaires designed to assess their emotional state.

abeckleyfoundation.org_wp_content_uploads_2018_08_microdosing_logo_1_1024x615.png

By collecting data from a naturalistic environment, with the support of hundreds of self-blinded participants from within the microdosing community, this design will enable us to identify the power of psychedelic microdosing, and understand what role, if any, the placebo effect plays.

Dr. Szigeti and Dr. Erritzoe are working together with Amanda Feilding and the Beckley Foundation on this study, and we hope that together we will pave the way for establishing whether microdosing has therapeutic benefits. Significantly more rigorous than the current, anecdotal evidence, this study will provide valuable information in advance of the Beckley/Imperial LSD microdosing study led by Amanda Feilding, which will be carried out within a controlled laboratory setting later this year.

To register for the study, or for any more information, please visit:
    http://selfblinding-microdose.org/.

microdose-study[at]protonmail[dot]com

2. niftec

niftec Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Cape Breton
    I live in Canada..am very interested in your study..have taken hundreds of LSD in the past..am quite comfy with it
    Wondering if there is any way that I can participate
    Esp since LSD has come across my desk in the form of a way to manage without opiates for controlling pain..I have been Rx'd large doses of morphine over the past 30 yrs, and now they want me to function on less than 1/4 of my usual comfortable and functional daily dose...! Terrified and seeking solution to dilemna with other meds since my choice is being withdrawn from me against my desire.
    LSD is associated with many success stories of escape from opiate dependence..I am worried re my brain producing endorphin etc..since it is now 60 yrs old and had a huge hiatus from endorphin production..
    Any hope for me being involved by proxy somehow?

3. niftec

niftec Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Cape Breton
    I still keep breaking your rules without intending. Having read them several times I thought that I understand,,but I keep getting warnings that I am being inappropriate with my answers/posts..In above situation I was not aware that I was using abbreviations unintelligible to others, nor am I speaking of anything illegal..I am Rx'd my meds and I am looking for alternative way of living with my pain. I felt an explanation of myself and situation was imperative since I do not live in Great Britain..and was hoping for a way to participate. Foolhardy wish I guess, but always optimistic for a way to cope.. Can you please tell me exactly where I messed up and how I might have alternatively expressed myself without stepping on the rules? I would be greatly helped by this Thank you and sorry, N

4. Calliope

Calliope Fictional Member Gold Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    from a nutshell, an infinite space
    Hi @niftec
    I think that the concern must have been with your use of "Rx'd" since that is the only abbreviation. It doesn't seem that problematic to me, but perhaps some people will not realize it means 'prescribed'.

On your substantive question, I think you can find more information about the study and potential participation by following the link that was towards the bottom of Alfa's post:
    To register for the study, or for any more information, please visit:
    http://selfblinding-microdose.org/. <--- THIS IS THE LINK

5. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    Welcome to the Forum. The abbreviations you are using are mostly pretty subtle. Examples are "rx'd" (please write out the word "prescribed.") Dilemna (misspelled--it's dilemma.)
    We tend to type out the full word "regarding."
    may mean nothing to someone not American or English: what does esp mean?

So you see, the corrections are very small, but may be important to non-native English speakers. We try to make our posts as intelligible as possible to everyone--surely you can understand why we want to do this.

So your errors are not large ones at all--just mostly abbreviations that seek to be spelled out.

You are very welcome here and we are happy to have you join us!
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 19, 2019 at 4:55 AM ---
    Calli--We just posted within the same few moments, such that I did not see your post. Sorry!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 5:00 AM
  6. niftec

niftec Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Cape Breton
    thanks for pointing those out..they are such common ways I have spelled for so long that I did not even recognize them as problems for some non English as first language people..as for dilemma, well I don't want to open that can of worms..check it out...it is a mystery how we of a certain age spell it..but for the tribe's sake I will spell it with double 'm'..thanks for your kind words..N

7. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    I'm just curious about your spelling of "dilemma" and referring to opening a can of worms. I couldn't find the spelling "dilemna" anywhere--not in any dictionary or encyclopedia or sample use of a spelled-out word. Just no "dilemna" at all.

So what do you know that I may not be aware of? I am a professional writer and editor, and am, of course, always interested in changes to the language.

Glad you understand our need and preference to have words spelled out fully. I don't even use terms like "meth" or "benzo" in here, even though they are in the current vernacular. I always spell them out, even though it's pain, to avoid any possible confusion.

8. aemetha

aemetha Sexy Potato Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from New Zealand
    Apologies for the off-topic, but dilemna is recognised as having been taught to people from a range of different countries, including in the US and Australia. Despite that it has been taught, it is not considered a variation on language, and the spelling is not included in any reputable dictionary. It is widely considered by linguists to be a hypercorrection, whereby the silent n in that exists in a number of similarly structured words is extrapolated to a word in which it does not belong. In summary, it is a spelling error that is understandable in origin, and yet remains an error, because it is not considered a correct word or a natural variation of language.

I hope that clarifies the issue, and I would remind members that the discussion of reputation, however amicable it is in this case, is against the rules. The correct process for disputing or clarifying a reputation comment is to report the reputation to a moderator. Perhaps a moderator could separate the discussion of the spelling to another topic relating to rules clarification to get this thread back on topic? @Smeg?

9. niftec

niftec Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Cape Breton
    Thank you for above comment on my spelling..I am 60 yrs of age and searched the spelling online, while attesting to its incorrectness it allows that many of us were misinformed in our formative years,( several sites dealt with the dual spellings) and have been using the wrong spelling all our lives..thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Still learning ,and at a sped up rate with the world's web..N