Other - Being carded when buying DXM at Walgreens/Wal-mart/Safeway etc.

Discussion in 'DXM' started by Kradle, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Kradle

Kradle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So today i was shopping at Walgreens and as i checked out the chick at
    the counter asked me for my ID and said just today they got a note
    telling them to do this..anyone else just recently getting carded?

2. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have never been carded, but I only buy DXM products for when I have a cold. I generally look rather plaque stricken when I buy my cough medicine. I am 18, but I'm sure I look like I could be 17, especially if I recently shaved.

3. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    This is news to me. It would be kind of strange for someone to be carded for an OTC medication. Not sure what to really think of that. Would the meaning behind being carded be that people over 18 are moreresponsiblein usingOTC DXM containing products for the purpose they are sold for? Or that only people over 18 areallowed to use DXM containing products recreationally because they are either more aware of the risks?Alanicotine products, alcohol,etc.I know that no company is going to admit that they selll their DXM products for recreational use, but it's an interesting thought. Since, to my knowledge, there hasn't ever been an OTC med that has had to be carded for.

4. Ketamina

Ketamina Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I live in Oregon, and now not only do they card you when buying anything with psuedoephedrine in it, you can only buy it at pharmacy counters. First time that happened to me... well, I have to say that I was level headed enough to not take it out on the Safeway employee, and remember it wasn't their fault. The state requires you to show identification to a registered pharmacist or assistant, and most places log your name and id number with the amount purchased.

It was all I could do to not say to the pharmacist who carded me, "I didn't know you had be a pharmacist to look at driver's licenses and determine if I were 18 or not..,"

What's worse.. this is in Oregon, one of the most liberal states in the US. It still sucks because it's IN the US, but it's one of those lesser of evils things.

5. Diphenhydramine

Diphenhydramine Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, people are beginning to start the crackdown on DXM. Unless
    there is some amazing drug law turnaround, I think DXM is gonna end up
    as one of those "remember how easy it was to get" drugs. Is it
    even really that necessary for a cough/cold/flu?

6. pokeymcsmot420

pokeymcsmot420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    well good news, had a flu a few nights ago (actually did) and had no problem buying nyquill at the local cornerstore in MI.

however as one person said i probably did look pretty sickly and in no mood for recreational anything.

i couldnt see downing a whole bottle of the stuff for some reason tho, than again i never could really stomach too many shots either. but I did do double the reccomended dose and smoked and got a pretty unique buzz goin, im sure the dxm prolly wasnt active in that amount but it was definatly a synergy goin on

7. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    maybe just maybe you had the slightest of slightest feelings, because if u took robo max you would have only taken ~30mg. but i can tell you if you dxm trip that you will feel smoking 10x more. It's amaizing.

Muirner

8. Loser

Loser Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hey Kradle... so today i went in to walgreens to pick some up and yup they did ask me for id..

weird and new to me... thats the second chain of stores around here asking...

i live in oregon by the way...

well this sucks... pretty soon this drug will be no more...

i dont really see it as becoming a street drug... so it may just become by prescription and just become a thing of the past over a few years like codein and what not...

Guess ill just have to live it up while its here... and laugh at the next generation for missing out... lol

9. Kradle

Kradle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yea even though im 18 i have a whole different feel when i go and buy
    it..then have to pull out my ID..kind of weird really just for cough
    medicine

10. Loser

Loser Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ya it is pretty odd... makes people behind u wonder... and then u feel odd... cause your buying medicine... its not like its alcohol... but i knew it was coming...

11. Dreeker

Dreeker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    yup, eckerd's here carded me once, showed em my id, and then decided to buy 6, guy looked surprised but eh', what could he do right?

just add a cough when u buy it lol ^^

12. xx86

xx86 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Kmart doesn't card.

13. Loser

Loser Newbie

Reputation Points:
    r u sure? do u look old? no offense... but if your obviously of age that my be why they wouldnt card u?

14. Loser

Loser Newbie

Reputation Points:
    im confused by what your saying you are?

and the zip code is for survey and ad crap no big deal...

just lil sale

15. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i never get carded here, i just bought some today some really old ladie sold it to me at the drugstore and seemed pretty happy to do so, i always feel that deep down they have an idea what ur using it for though. if i dont shave i can buy smokes at certain stores without being id'd. i remember once a long time ago a guy i knew couldnt buy dxm nemore cuz he bought it soo much they told him he couldnt come back. neway he asked us if me and a friend could get him some because he got us alcohol, so neway were all drunk my friend puts it on the counter and i was like thatll hit that cough nicely eh, and he was like fuck no im gettin fucked up off this shit and we both kinda just laughed and she didnt even care and sold it to us neway. a long time ago and i wouldnt do something like that now since i also like to do it every once in a while, and i definatly dont want it criminalized in any way or have age restrictions, its pretty stupid concidering a high percentage of the time the stuff is bought for legitimate reasons.

16. infekt

infekt Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    havent been carded as yet, though usually I go to the U-Scans in Kroger
    to check out the bottles. Looks fuckin shady when you go up to someone
    with 3 bottles in your hand.

17. Kradle

Kradle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    just got some at walgreens today..its funny how the cash cashier scans
    the Robo and sort of sighs and gets ready to ask for a card and explain
    why shes asking for it..yea..even the display says please verify person
    is 18

18. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Are there any laws requiring any person to be 18 in order to buy DXM products, other than in New York? I know that New York in 2004 passed legislation making the distribution of 2 or more DXM containing products to a minor a criminal misdemeanor (Bill Summary - S06244). Also In Texas, North Dakota, and California bills were proposed to ban the sale of DXM products to minors, none passed.

If there are no laws prohibiting the sale of DXM to minors can stores discriminate against customers for being young? I dont like it!

19. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Often large corporate chains will make it company policy if they have
    to comply with a law in one state. I believe stores are well within
    their rights to refuse selling you anything at all.

OT But this shit gets under my skin, they don't even bother passing
    laws anymore they just use unofficial policies of harassment. Haven't
    you ever seen the un-publicized lists stores send out for cashiers to
    watch for "suspicious" purchases that include items like distilled
    water and table salt?

20. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Walgreens Programs Cash Registers to Prohibit Sales of Products with Dextromethorphan to Minors</font>
    Thursday June 30, 5:37 pm ET

DEERFIELD, Ill., June 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Effective tomorrow, July 1, Walgreens cash registers will be programmed to prohibit sale of all products containing dextromethorphan (also known as DXM) to anyone younger than 18, the company announced. IDs will be required for proof of age.

Walgreens has taken this voluntary action in response to growing nationwide concern about potential misuse of these products. The company previously took voluntary action by limiting sales of some of these products.

"This is not an easy thing for our stores to do," said Debbie Garza, Walgreens director of Government and Community Relations, "but as a leader in our industry we believe it's a responsible move to help parents, educators and law enforcement officials."

Walgreens sells more than 200 cough and cold products containing dextromethorphan.

Walgreen Co. is the nation's largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2004 sales of $37.5 billion. The company operates more than 4,800 stores in 45 states and Puerto Rico. Walgreens also provides additional services to pharmacy patients and prescription drug plans through Walgreens Health Initiatives (a pharmacy benefits manager), Walgreens Mail Service, Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy and Walgreens Home Care.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050630/cgth055.html?.v=12