Belgium not far from the Dutch policy

Discussion in 'Coffeeshops' started by Tagu, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Tagu

Tagu Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    Nowadays, Belgian government has made changes in their narcotic-laws. It involves the use and traffic of marijuana and hash. It is now allowed to have 3 grams in your pockets for personal use, you can only consume this in private, and certainly not in company of minors. It is even legal to grow 1 feminin cannabis plant. No more, no less. The funny part is that in the Netherlands, land of the famous 'coffeeshops', which are still in the grey zone, it is not allowed to have any marijuana on you. The cops can take it from you, even if it is 1 gram. Belgium says: 3 grams here allowed. Strange thing: buying and selling will be punished even harder... Every single pot-smoker in Belgium does not know exactly what to do...

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    The same goes for parts of Germany, Portugal, Spainand the UK.

3. crazywoman

crazywoman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I used to live in Austria back in '94. We could have weed, smoke it and grow. But the line got drawn at buying and selling. Is this still true now adays? We used to smoke it all the time in public and nothing was ever done.

4. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Update on the Belgian policy. The new law has been redrawn
    Back to random, where you can get arrested for a gram in one town, where in other towns they let you walk around with 30 g.

I hope this measure was taken to make up a better law. The new law had some shortcomings, you see. It had mentions of "problematic use" and "nuisance", and these two things were not clearly defined.

5. izzy_green

izzy_green Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    About a year ago ,the police found about 2gr of weed on me.result:i was invited to the policestation for a talk.they asked me how that i get my stuf.how that i travel while im shopping and if i want to have my stuf back or if i wanna give it to them.i said that they could have it and i never have hear from them again.

6. FrankenChrist

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Another update:

If you are of legal age (18 in Belgium) you can have 3 grams with you. You can't smoke near schools and in other public places
    You can have 1 plant.

7. thcannibislover

thcannibislover Newbie

Reputation Points:
    in alaska USA you can have a few plants I think and no punishment for under an ounce (please correct me if im wrong) Its due to the unstable light paterns when there no sun half a year and all sun the other half, it causes depresion and leads to suicides so they gave people pot. Im not sure if they take it away if they find it and just not punished or if you can keep it I know that selling/buying is illegle though and this is in the USA the biggist prohibition country in the world.

8. FrankenChrist

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    ...they permit pot because they realised everyone would only drink if they didn't permit pot?
    Great. Sort of. You know what I mean.