benzo alternative

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by testodan, Dec 28, 2006.

1. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Hi guys, could anyone recommend swim a strong alternative to benzos?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2007
  2. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    well there are many alt. to benzos, some are herbal like: kava kava, kratom, valerian, passionflower, hops, scullcap, etc. Most other alternatives are prescriptions drugs such like beta-blockers or anti-depressants (for long term control of anxiety. It depends on which reason You wants to switch from benzos to some other drug....

3. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    If You is looking for a natural substance to help with sleep and calm your nerves, Then I recommend L-tryptophan. This is a naturally occuring amino acid available in most health supplement stores and over the internet.

Some people prefer 5-htp (L-tryptophan is converted to 5-htp in the body), but SWIM still prefers the L-tryptophan instead of the 5-htp for inducing sleep and/or calming nerves.

4. ip.dif.ev.3.min

ip.dif.ev.3.min Mercury Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Na theres no aternate legal benzo that i know of except alcohol...kava kava feels like taking to many benydryles, kratom feels like opiates and that all swim can tell you.

to me benzo's feel like being drunk. exept with them theres no question weather youl remember a thing the next day...at least benzos makes me forget everything. swI used to not like them becuase swi couldnt remember how they felt..lol.. but now I like them now and agian, (thats scary)

5. ip.dif.ev.3.min

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I dont know, he may be an addict,,,not to offend but its a good thing to admit truth, at least to your self

6. ip.dif.ev.3.min

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I dont know, he may be an addict,,,not to offend but its a good thing to admit truth, at least to your self

and i dobt that health store shit will do anything...I was giving a free 5 pill sample of a herb that was supposed to be like a muscle relaxer..I took 3-4 (cant rem. exact) but felt nothing not even tired.

7. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is You looking specifically for a natural substance with benzo-esque effects or is You simply trying to find a substitute for benzos overall?

8. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Simply put, there isn't anything that can truly replace benzos. The preceding suggestions are great (and I'm sure you'll get more) but nothing else is as effective, potent or fast acting.

9. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Salvia miltiorrhiza - Dan Shen. Binds to the benzodiazapine receptor, albeit weakly. Vaporized miltirone (extract) has a weak benzo effect.

10. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am also curious about this but not to replace benzos but to act with them so I would not need as much.

11. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^^^^^^^

I would make a thread in the Benzo forum then, asking about potentiation and synergistic interaction possibilities.

12. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Galangal is claimed to potentiate benzos.

13. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    SWIM looking for something strong ,to replace benzos,helping quit them,with gabaergic effects.

14. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIdr is not familiar with the word "gabaergic" (apologies) but premium kratom, and whole kava root sound like great solutions! SWIdr swears by them!

15. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Probably means something that produces GABA in the brain.. Maybe GHB?

16. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Benzos work via GABA system(inhibitory neurotransmitter),antideepressants such as Prozac,Zoloft work via serotonin.Both(Benzos,antideeppressants)reduce anxiety.But with benzos we have no antideepressant effect,probably the opposite,thus no feelings.The common between SSRI and benzos are only the antianxiety effect.
    L-tryptophan,5-HTP are precursors of serotonin.
    Kratom has opioid-like effects.
    Tilio,chamomile work more in GABA,but too weak both.
    Valerian act via serotonin And GABA.
    SWIM looking for something strong act only on GABA.
    BTW could anyone give him a recipe for kava powder?
    Thanks.:)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  17. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    place powder, water (about 1:1), a teaspoon of oil (olive, etc), something to sweeten and flavor (I like vanilla syrup), blenderize for at least 3-5 minutes and chug cold. I like this best - note that if you want, you can filter out the root material and repeat, but SWIM just downs the whole batch, powder and all.
    There really are no strong natural products that affect GABA the way benzos do. Dan Shen, however, has actually been proven to hit the benzo receptor and is a partial agonist there, so it might be good as a combo with kava or something else. The best natural product of this kind is GHB if you can get it. Otherwise the above is your best bet.
    Also, if sedation is what You is looking for THP or corydalis root is a strong occasional sleep aid.

18. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    SWIM have some type of small spasms with it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  19. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, THP knocks SWIM out. Just to sleep - it is not at all recreational and is hard on the liver, so only suited for occasional use.
    What kind of spasms and at what dose?
    I have not heard of this side effect.. maybe You is taking too much. about 200 mg of THP is quite effective.

20. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Apparently Kava is one of the best natural anxiety relievers you can find. Theres a number of studies on using it as a benzo substitute or supplement.

I'm going to upload some pdfs on it to the file archive shortly. They may prove to be useful in the context of this thread.