Health - Benzodiazepine Tolerance

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by t3h_1337, Feb 1, 2005.

1. t3h_1337

t3h_1337 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I like to take Klonopin every morning before school. I like the way it makes me feel. When I am on it I am a lot more socialible and I feel less anxious. I have been taking .5 mg about 2 days a week.

Once I took 1 mg and I really liked how that made me feel.

I was wondering if I would develop a tolerance if I took .5 mg on monday through friday in the morning. What about 1 mg? What about 1.5 mg and what about 2 mg?

By the way I am male, 6'0'', and 125 pounds.

2. t3h_1337

t3h_1337 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I meant to say that I weight 145 (125 is way too skinny). Sorry about the typo, I would fix it, but there is no edit...

3. mattp

mattp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    if you take klonopins 5 days a week, at any dose, you will eventually develop a toleramce and may even become addicted.

a rule of thumb for abusing/using addictive substances is for whatever
    amount of days you use it for, take 2x that off. it helps keep the
    tolerance down.

4. ToxicMind

ToxicMind Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Taking any pill mon-fri every single week will cause you to build up a tolerance. If you plan to take them that often, take small doses. If you want to take higher doses, then you should take them less often.

5. pbiiau

pbiiau Newbie

Reputation Points:
    you will not develop a tolerance to the anxiolytic effects of benzos... nobody will.

6. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Klonopin is much safer to take than say xanax. You should still be careful if you are taking 2+ mg (Klonopin) a day for weeks and then stopping cold turkey.

7. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I wouldn't take Klonopin every day unless you have a good medical reason to do so. Klonopin is very physically addictive and can be difficult to break.

8. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    If you develop a habit of using clonozapam or any other benzo. Then please don't stop taking them cold turkey. Quitting any benzo cold turkey can be life threatening. At the very least you can have some serious seizures. Benxo withdrawal can be worse then opiate withdrawal. You have been warned.

9. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    In my opinion, Klonopin is probably the least addictive of the benzos (altho gradual withdrawal is important if you've been on it a long time & need to go off). It's also the least entertaining from a recreational perspective. IMO, Xanax takes the prize for both addictiveness and recreational value.

As far as tolerance... I've been on K. legally (script) for years. I developed a tolerance as far as feeling a 'buzz' (I get absolutely none), but not as far as needing to increase the dosage to be effective at relieving nervousness. I'm at about the same dosage I was years ago, and it still does what it's supposed to do. Treat it with respect, and it treats ya back.

I noticed you said this:

Do you have a script for it? If not, you should see a doc and try getting one. Sounds like you might legitimately find it helpful in everyday life. "Social anxiety" is a real killer that can ruin quality of life & lead to trouble finding/keeping jobs, friends, all sorts of crap. Take it from me, I have reason to know.Edited by: Nicaine

10. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Im on klonopin, by rx, along with my own self medication. I take 1mg 2 times a day. I feel it is less addictive then xanax (duh) and has 10x the potency of ativan which i was on b4. I love the medication, it helps me make it through the day. Fyi all benzodiazapines are habbit forming and if you take them for about 5-7 days straight you willnotice a "withdrawl" it might be as small as feeling a lil anxious or you might have seizures that is why it is important to always ease your way off any benzo. Regarding tolerance of course you develop tolerance... i used to take 1mg of ativan 2x a day then moved to 2mg 2x a day then i finally moved to klonopin... everyone develops tolerance at a different rate and as long as you have a doctor and are not getting these drugs off the street its no problem they are more then aware of the habit forming natures of benzos and tolerance you develop

11. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How long for tolerance to Xanax (Alprazolam)to develop?

If SWIM were to take 1mg of Xanax three times daily how long would it take for SWIM to need more xanax to get the same effect? Keep in mind we are talking therapeutic doses. So, what’s the average time? And what would a conservative estimate be? Thanks in advance.

12. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    1 mg three times daily can be a rather high dose for most. Since youre talking about theraputic use and sound as if you are self medicating. you should start out with .25 - .50 mg's once or maybe even twice a day. It should work for a long time theraputically. If you were using for recretional purposes. Then a particular dose would lose its magic within days.

13. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Taking 1 mg 3 times a day willbe good at first, but it will slowly become less and less effective. I would say tolerance will start within a week and will progress more after a month, and more after several months. Clinically, patients areprescribed to take up to 6mg per day, i know it sounds like a lot, but with tolerance and taking it for long amounts of time, it really isn't. If you have no tolerance at this point and don't weigh a lot, you might want to start out at .5 twice to three times a day. Less ismore, since eventually you are going to reach a point in which tolerance will overpower even the therapeutic effect. Take as little as you can, and save the extra pills for when your tolerance has taken over and it has little effect on you anymore. Quitting for a few weeks or months will help the tolerance, but don't just quit all together, make sure you taper off of them, or you could suffer some serious adverse reactions. Your best bet to combat tolerance would be to just take it in situations where you feel you would most need it, the situations that make you most anxious.

14. skitz0frantic

skitz0frantic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Tolerance is the process by which the receptors in your brain become habituated to the action of a drug. When tolerance is reached, more of the drug is required to achieve the same effect. With benzodiazepines, and probably with many other classes of drugs as well, tolerance is virtually always associated with some degree of physical dependence.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    how bad are the withdrawals from xanax?

16. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    --for the post above mine...

Withdrawls from Alprazolam (xanax) seem to be different for everyone. It depends on a lot of differnt things, such as if you use it alot, if you dont, your weight, your addictive personality, how many mg's you usually take and all of that. Usually they aren't too bad if dose's aren't taken everyday, but they can become life altering if dose's are taken daily and you quit at once. It's best to slow down and quit one day at a time!Edited by: pharmapsyche

17. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Unsurehow Xanax withdrawal compares to other benzosbut benzo withdrawal generally causes:

Psychological symptoms: anxiety** (including panic attacks), depression**, insomnia*, derealisation/depersonalisation* (feelings of unreality/detachment from self), obsessive negative thoughts*, (particularly of a violent and/or sexual nature) rapid mood changes* (especially including outbursts of anger or rage), phobias* (especially agoraphobia and fear of insanity), dysphoria* (loss of capacity to enjoy life; possibility a combination of depression, anxiety, and derealisation/depersonalisation), impairment of cognitive functioning*, suicidal thoughts*, nightmares, hallucinations, psychosis, pill cravings. Note that it is far more common to fear psychosis than it is to actually experience it.
    Physical Symptoms: abnormal sensitivity to sensory stimuli* (such as loud noise or bright light), muscle tension/pain**, joint pain*, tinnitus*, headaches*, shaking/tremors*, blurred vision* (and other complications related to the eyes), itchy skin* (including formication, ie sensations of insects crawling on skin), gastrointestinal discomfort*, electric shock sensations*, paraesthesiae* (numbness and pins and needles, especially in extremities), fatigue*, weakness in the extremities* (particularly the legs), feelings of inner vibrations* (especially in the torso), sweating, fluctuations in body temperature, difficulty in swallowing, loss of appetite, "flu like" symptoms, fasciculations (muscle twitching), metallic taste in mouth, nausea, extreme thirst (including dry mouth and increased frequency of urination), sexual dysfunction (or occasional increase in libido), heart palpitations, dizziness, vertigo, breathlessness.
    Reasons why you should never stop benzos suddenly (even if you have only been taking benzodiazepines daily for a period of 3-4 weeks) or rapidly reduce doses if tolerant and taking high doses:
    - confusion
    - delirium
    - hallucinations (probably not fun ones!)
    - psychotic symptoms
    - seizures

Benzo withdrawl fits are very difficult to treat medically, because users have high tolerance to benzos which are the first line drug in someone who's been fitting for more than 5 minutes. Therefore users require much higher doses of benzos than people who don't use. This often leads to a rebound effect where benzo adverse effects (ie: respiratory depression) occur much more readily (ie: trip to intensive care). If benzos don't work to control fits you are then heading into the realms of intravenous phenytoin (adverse effects include resistant heart arrythmias), and if this doesn't work then sedation with propofol (anaesthetic agent) which requires intubation and mechanical ventilation
    The other problem with benzo withdrawal is that symptoms can be very protracted, often stretching into months.

Bear in mind you can also experience a "tolerance withdrawal" where you start to experience some of the effects above from your normalbenzo dose. The temptation here is to increase your dose.
    Always consult your doctor before you attempt to withdraw (there are some sympathetic ones out there, although I know that many posters here have not found this to be the case)

Edited by: jatelka

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  18. BlackEyed

BlackEyed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    xanax (Alprazolam) tolerance

I took two xanax bars recently and
    they worked great but i just took one bar and didnt feel
    a thing is there anyway i can bring my tolerance down or should i
    just up the dose?.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  19. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    'try pluggin it dood'

no... really... start with a half of one. ;)

20. hazejunk

hazejunk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you wait a couple of weeks youre tolerance wil be down so you can enjoy 1 xanax bar agian. You can also just take 1,5 but tolerance just keeps on growing, so pretty soon you will need 2 and then 3 and more and more .So my advice is to wait till youre tolerance is down.......

Tags: