Benzodiazepines and addiction - is using 2/3 times a week likely to lead to addiction

Discussion in 'Downers addiction' started by WrtngCocaineTutorial, May 22, 2006.

1. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    does anyone know when you cross the line to addiction.

Is it safe to use to come down from stimulants twice/three times a week? :confused:

2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    A physical withdrawal syndrome can result from daily benzo use for as little as 2 weeks.

This is not to say that using benzos 2-3 times per week is safe (or recommended) or that "addiction" is not an issue. Afterall addiction is mental as well as physical. If You is using benzos 2-3 times a week to help with stimulant comedown then mentally that can become a crutch even if there is no physical tolerance/dependance.

There was a point in SWIJ's life when she used benzos to help with sleep after stimulants. And you know what? Benzos are TERRIBLY easy to have around, You may find their consumption creeping... and all of a sudden it's NOT 2-3 times a week anymore.

Has SWIN looked into other sleep aids? SWIJ has not used it but she knows that many on these boards find melatonin very helpful. She herself has used meditation with some success in the past (although this can be exceptionally "tricky" when wired).

The other solution (possibly somewhat controversial) would be to use the stimulants less frequently, then sleep difficulties will be less of an issue;)

3. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    There really is not a line that you cross into addiction. Addiction is different for everyone. Just because you use a substance only X times a week does not mean you are not addicted. 3 times a week MIGHT be okay for some people but just because you dont use every day does not mean you are not addicted. Some alcoholics only drink 3 times a week, but that does not mean they are not addicted to alcohol.

Once you start making limits and lines to cross, you might want to rethink your current usage. The line to addiction is very vague and different for every person. There is no rule of thumb when it comes to these kinds of things. Just like jatelka has mentioned, one day you might think you are cruising far from the other side of that line, and next thing you know, you are out of gas on the other side of the line :( . Just use with moderation and stay far away from the other side of that "line."

2-3 times a week is not too bad but it could definitely lead to a future addiction. Lower your current usage if you fear you might become addicted. You are the only person who knows the limits of your body, and how far of a hole you can dig before you are stuck. I think you need to lower your usage because something is obviously on your mind. If you were not scared of becoming addicted then you wouldnt have started up this thread.

As of now you are probably in the clear so just keep it that way. Set limits for your self and do not comprimise them under any circumstances. Everyone has their limit, but it is hard to know your limits until you break them. Stay on the safe side and just dont veer into the darkside of drugs. This is a warning for everyone, not just norweger. Drugs are enjoyable, euphoric, fun......the list goes on. Drugs are also dangerous, addictive, expensive, evil....this list also goes on. It is best to just be safe in the first place so you dont have to see the evil side of drugs.

SWIM hopes everything works out for you. Lay off the stimulants for a while so you wont have to use benzos. If that is not a possibility then you should be worried about becoming addicted to stimulants, not benzos. good luck, peace

4. WrtngCocaineTutorial

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    hmmm. would cannbis indica be good for coming down instead of benzo's?

Are there any benzo's which aren't enjoyable? (and therefore don't make you wanna use them for something else than to come down) :crazy

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIJ found cannabis helpful sometimes, as long as it wasn't "blow your socks off" skunk (if it was she ended up with hideous whiteys:( ).

Non-enjoyable benzos? SWIJ hasn't come across any, although Lorazepam always made her feel terribly hungover and thick-headed the next day. She guesses you're either into the benzo feeling or not: For many it's not unpleasant it's just not particularly interesting.

SWIJ would refer you to Raven's insightful post: The benzos will only becom a problem if the stimulant use continues. Although she has never needed to stop taking stimulants she would imagine that they're a whole lot easier to deal with than benzos.

6. WrtngCocaineTutorial

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    hehe .

not quite into your lingo :)

whiteys = ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  7. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Definition of "whitey" taken from urbandictionary: an undesirable reaction to smoking cannabis common amongst lightweights and first-time tokers. Symptoms include dizzyness, clammy skin, nausea and vomiting.
    It gets its name from the paleness of the sufferer as the blood drains out the capillaries under the skin due to a decrease in blood pressure.

"oh man, I don't know what you put in that joint, but it gave me one hell of a whitey."

Swim usually finds cannabis to be pretty good at coming down. She also uses clonazepam a few times a week to sleep or sometimes to help the comedown from stimulants. She hasn't developed any sort of psychological dependence (i.e.she has no desire to take them other than in these instances) and hasn't had any problems with physical dependence either. I think so long as you are limiting your use to a few times a week and not using them for anything other than coming down then you're okay. If you find yourself using them daily just because you enjoy them then there's a problem. I think for 'coming down', benzos and cannabis work well. If you want to go to sleep then maybe look into an over-the-counter sleep-aid, but I'm not quite sure as to what the possible interactions would be, but I has never had a problem with them so long as the other drug as almost worn off completely. Like Jatelka said, melatonin may be worth a try but I find it pretty weak and it definately loses its effectiveness after regular use.

I've tried ambien for insomnia and it never worked for me. However, I know it works rather well for others.

8. H4U2C

H4U2C Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from U.K.
    Re: Benzo's and addiction

Staff note: Reply to the OP in post #1.

NO its not safe as 2-3 times a week is too much and You will run the risk of becoming dependant on the benzo"s.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015