Combinations - Benzodiazepines and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by DT24, Jun 12, 2005.

1. DT24

DT24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jatelka EDIT: Please not this is a combined thread, and the earlier posts are from before the "No self incrimination" rule came into play

Hi all. Ill be honest. I do have a stresful job but don't really need to take any meds. I do like to chill out very occasionally. Diazepam doesn't really do that much to me unless I take it with a couple of glasses of wine. Being pretty new to this I was wondering what would be a safe dose to take (Ive taken 30mg beforenot on a regular basis) and what health effects would this have on my health?

P.s. Im so impressed with how helpful and friendly you all are from what I have read so far. Thanks a lot!!!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. variation

variation Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I take 1mg of clonazepam per day, and 6 beers will yeild a level of
    intoxication much greater than if not under the influence of previously
    mentioned benzo.

3. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is really no set safe dose, if you can take 30mg and after it feel like you could of done 35-40. You probly can. As with all Benzodiezapines after prolonged regular use, you develop a phisical tolerance to it. So after a wile you may be getting a nice buzz off of what would of killed you 6 months before it. Once you take it dayly for awile you will become phyisicly addicted to it, so if you where to stop taking it suddenly you would go threw withdrawl symptoms. Withdrawl from large doses of Benzodiezapines are said to be harable, worse than heroin withdrawl and you could accually die from the withdrawl itself. Now dont take this the wrong way, it takes awile to build up a tolerance, and you really have to be doing it dayly and in increasing amounts to become phisicly addicted to it. If your doing it just every once in awile then you have nothing to worry about.

4. DT24

DT24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks man that was helpful.[​IMG]

5. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    A safe dose is all relative. Depends from person to person. Within reason of course.

In the name of harm reduction. Just know that benzo's (diazepam, alprazolam, clonazepam, etc.) and alcohol are doth CNS (Central Nervous System) depressants. The combination of both can be dangerous as one's breathing canbecome shallowand one can also pass out and become unresponsive. Depending on the dose of each. The combination can be fun, relaxing and recreational. However, it can also be dangerous. Stay safe. =)

6. Kradle

Kradle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mixing Xanax (Alprazolam) and Alcohol

I have yet to take Xanax(today being my first) and dont wanna take too
    much xanax so decided Mixing it with alcohol would be 2nd best to
    upping the dose..whats a good Xanax to Alcohol for a starter..i dont
    really want to pass out

7. GreyApple

GreyApple Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Wellmost perscription drug will be magnified greatly from the effects ofalcohol and Ive never done xanax butI think it would be smarter to try a normal recreational dosebefore adding alcohol

8. BrandonAA

BrandonAA Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I would say 1.5mg -2.5mg (on an empty stomach, don't eat until hour after dose) and you could drink up to 3 beers, maybe 4 if you drink quite a bit. i personally drink rum and coke and i eat the pills, when i feel them (like 15 mins) start drinking, by drink #2 you will feel the combo and will kinda give you an idea how much more you can go.

when you go over 3mg or 4 drinks, be careful because you feel so good you think more will keep it going but it may leave you with no memory or make you pass out.

9. vacant

vacant Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When planning on adding Alcohol, one's normal recreational dosage should drop a little bit, but seeing as you haven't tried Xanax before, I'd try for a normal dose with no alcohol.
    With no tolerance, it's very easy to become intoxicated with Xanax and alcohol. If you insist on it, then probably no more than 2mg (from my personal experience, anyway) and no more than 3-4 drinks.
    You really have to be careful with mixing the two, since a fun night can turn very not fun veryquickly. One night, I went overboard, having ~5mg and a shitload of whisky. I woke up 6 hours later, realizing I had passed out on my computer desk, with lots of pills scattered around, too. ((NOT fun!))

Perhaps with little or no tolerance, even .5-1.5mg might be better with a couple of beers or a couple of shots of something.
    Although I'm not as well versed mixing the two, I happen to be right now, and it's not bad, but hardly kicking in. (only 2.5mg and a little bit of whisky, so far)

My advice would be concentrate less on alcohol, but more on the xanax, from what I'd prefer. Too much alcohol gives me a shitty body high, anymore and lights out. (I have an insatiable tolerance for alcohol..i.e. never actually been drunk-only passed out.)

Beware of going overboard with it, though. It really sucks not remembering what you did the previous night.

One a side note, I have found one rather interesting side effect, for me, anyway. I tend to write really long, comprehensive posts, although it's getting harder to type.

Anyway, enjoy whatever you do, as when done right, it can be quite nice. [​IMG]

(Remember: Just as BrandonAA said, it can be easy to keep wanting more, since you'll like the feeling. This will lead to appearing VERY drunk and intoxicated (ruined the Superbowl for me), then you eventually pass out, with no memory whatsoever of the night before [which really does suck, someday, I tell of ALL my mistaken things, but not now, I'm having a nice time] Be careful with what you do while under the influence)

By the time I finished typing all that, it's REALLY kickin' in now. Not bad, but sometimes it sucks being on the computer trying to type things out. Luckily, I spellcheck usually.

So, yeah. enjoy your times, everyone. (hope that was helpful-even though some)
    peace out.

10. kritikal

kritikal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Valium (Diazepam) and Alcohol Experience: Amnesia

This is was my first experience with Valium although i have tried Alprozam a fair few times before. It was pretty crazy, i was fucked for days but an enjoyable experience none the less.

I went round to my mates house to have a few drinks and a smoke wtih a few other people. We were all pretty drunk and stoned and i got talking to my friend about thebottle of valium he was prescribed a while back. He got it out and me, him and another person took 6 each. i was the only person who had really done benzo's. My mate had but only on 5mg's a couple of times when prescribed.

After this we crushed up some pills and snorted them down. Buy this time the benzos had kicked in, i cant remember how manywe snortedbut it was at least 18 in total.Myfriend being the only one who had triedcocaine before said it felt a little like that, besides being a depressant and not a stimulant.

I cant remember what happened next, except that an hour passed in what seemed like10 seconds and i had gotten 6 of the pills before i left. But all of a sudden the other friend who had taken the Valium decided to go home. I was going to stay at my friends house, but for some reason asked if i could get a lift back home, she said it was fine, so me, her and another mate who was trashed went with her. On the way back to my house i dont remember what happened. Except when we got near to my house police pulled us over saying she was swerving all over the place she was over the limit at .08 but this isn't drunk enough to be that bad. We got back to my house and dropped the car there, she was taken tothe police station, me and my mate went to bed. Later on, she was dropped back at my place. I was very asleep and my parents couldnt wake me up no matter what they tried. They had to drive her car and and another car to take her back to her place. In the morning i shot out of bed, it had only just hit me right then that my mum was trying to wake me up, i had only heardher 7 hours after she had actually spoke to me.

Well my friend lost her licence for drink driving again, my friend slept till 7pm the next day, and i felt tired and lost and pretty much slept for 2 days straight.

To this day i dont know what i did with the 6 i got off my friend that night. I really wish i did, next time i do this it will definently be in a much lower dose so i know what is actually happening.

11. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That's a weird story.

I've taken up to 80 mg Valium and mixed it with alcohol and never had that effect like you had...

I probably have a high tolerance to this stuff....

12. thrsdy1203

thrsdy1203 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yea i said what a night when i woke up in the hospital after taking Kolonipin, Xanax, Thorzein and lots a booze. What a frikin cocktail taht almost ended in death. [​IMG]

meh :-/

13. darksolovely

darksolovely Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It sounded like a rush- Im just turned on by panic-worthy situations[​IMG], but be careful man~

14. rideburton56

rideburton56 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Temazepam + Alcohol=bad mix?!

I would have to say the mixing of any pills and alcohol is generally not something to take lightly, pretty much every script you get lately says do not use with alcohol, i think it even said that on my 800 mg asprin that they gave me for my wisdom teeth surgery. I guess its possible that mixing serious downers like that (shots and benzos) could make someone extremely depressed. Either way its not ur fault just throw him in bed next time and continue ur nite.

1. 3/5,
      No comment was given
      Jan 29, 2008
  15. poison1981

poison1981 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    2mg of Clonazepam with a bottle of wine?

or 6 beer?

I have been doing this a lot recenly and would like to know how safe it is

16. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Re: 2mg of clons with a bottle of wine?

Mixing benzodiazepines and alcohol can cause death, not recommended.

17. lulz

lulz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Re: 2mg of Clonazepam with a bottle of wine?

Abrad isn't kidding.

Mix enough of a benzo with enough alcohol and you'll go into respiratory arrest, your lungs will stop working.

Sure, alcohol potentiates benzos. But if you're going to do it, be damn careful.

18. jacob x ross

jacob x ross Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Swim suggests using OTC sleeping aids to enhance effects of benzos instead of alcohol.

19. anarchyat

anarchyat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Depending on your tolerance I wouldn't go past 2 beers, three max but that could be pushing it. You should exercise lots of caution when it comes to mixing two downers.

20. JaWill88

JaWill88 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o

I am pretty sure it would take more than 2mg with what You was drinking. but I could be wrong. regardless... taking any benzo and alcohol is dangerous.