1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - Benzodiazepines and Caffeine

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by junkyman, Jul 31, 2004.

1. junkyman

junkyman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, (my favorite), Ativan, etc... i love 'em.

i've checked www.erowid.org about experiences with benzo's combined w/ caffeine, however, with no real success... I like it a lot though, keep me awake and relieves anxiety i get from caffeine or just naturally. dig?

2. Zandorf

Zandorf Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    i'm going to bump this thred with something slightly more coherant

i like to take different benzos to releive anxiety so i can smoke pot,
    i can't really enjoy getting high anymore unless i take something else
    to releive anxiety, otherwise i just feel terrible and hate myself.

problem is, with xanax and other benzos i often get too sleepy, i was
    wondering if caffeine would perk me up a bit without negating the
    benzo's anti-anxiety effects?

i'm pretty sure caffeine has some effect on norepinephrine which is
    associated witrh alertness and sometimes paranoia, but i'm not sure if
    a cup or three of coffee would be enough to ruin my high.

<!--
    var SymRealOnLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
    SymRealOnLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
    window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

3. msimm

msimm Newbie

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Caffeine undoes the effect of the benzo. You can take on or the other but if you take them together their pretty much competing.

I say this as someone who's recently detoxed from about 40 mg of Valium
    a day (I titrated down to about 1.25) so I had to be careful not to
    take caffeine because it could cause early withdrawal.

Anyhow, to answer the question: yes its perfectly safe taking them
    together but you'll just kill the effects of the Valium (which sort of
    kills the point).

Edited by: msimm

4. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from The Netherlands
    You can experiment with different doses of diazepam and caffeine to see what works for you. Everyone reacts differently. Work with it and see whay you come up with. I'm sure that you'll find the right equation for you.

5. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Caffine being a CNS stimulent though weak lessens the effects of any CNS depressent... dont take coffee or caffine pills wit your benzos its a waste of money

6. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I disagree... benzos keep caffeine from making you feel too tweaked/wired, and caffeine isn't strong enough to undo the effects of anything above a very small dose of benzos. They seem to go pretty well together.

There's an ongoing theory around here that downers & uppers make a bad mix, but IMHO actual experience proves differently. Only chemicals that target the exact same brain receptors shouldn't be used together, and benzos potentiate GABA while caffeine binds to adenosine receptors. Different modes of action.Edited by: Nicaine

7. korky8097

korky8097 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    hmmm I might need to try this. I always have the problem of
    getting tired on val. And of course the weird memory for a few
    days but mainly i hate the tiredness. I will try a cup of joe
    next time i do val

8. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Well i wouldnt say that a cup of coffee would kill your high from 4mg of xanax but it does have a reverse effect

9. OneOfMany

OneOfMany Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Zandorf:

Interesting idea. Recently I've been not wanting to toke out anymore from the anxiety/panic I've had. But I never thought of adding a benzo to calm it. I know alcohol doesn't mix wellfor me (they almost seem to counter act each other).

Any suggestions for the cheapest mellow benzo? I'm gonna stock up soon, but don't have any experience with them. Might go for a sampler and pick my fav if need be.

10. kuplo

kuplo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Xanax (Alprazolam) and Caffeine?

I was reading a xanaxbuster site last night and couldnt make heads or tails of what I was reading but something about not having any coffee or caffeine for 6mo to 1 year after stopping xanax, and Im wondering why?

I regularly drink 64oz of espresso per day while on my xanax now, is this somehow blocking things or increasing potency or desire of the xanax?

11. ilikeboobies

ilikeboobies Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    benzo withdrawal can cause seizures (and there is even a higher
    chance of getting a seizure when caffeine, or any other stimulant is
    taken)... I think it is only a problem if you drink caffeine within a
    week or two after you stop taking xanax.

that site had some truth to it, but is filling you full of shit about how
    long you should avoid caffeine... you'll be fine after a couple weeks.

12. Narcoticum

Narcoticum Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Nice boobies!

13. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you can't notice any thing is wrong why would you assume so? Caffeine causes anxiety so basically you are counteracting the xanax effect but I am sure by your post that you are taking enough xanax to over power a 64 oz expresso per day. If you ever start to feel anxious after you drink the expresso, I would say that you need to either reduce the amount of expresso, or increase the amount of xanax. If you start to feel tired, then reduce the xanax, or increase the expresso. Simple as that.

14. kuplo

kuplo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the advice, I was just figuring it out today or was it yesterday, my minds pretty much shot right now, 2 days working in front of my computer without sleep, possibly goin on 3 or 4 total without sleep, but gotta make a living.

Anyway, when I figured out the 64oz of espresso, I didnt take into account that I was adding more water to the espresso machine then you would if you used the little glass container they give you, so while I dont know what the exact amount is..............

I dont get anxiety attacks after drinking coffee or espresso, Im on a pretty strict regiment of pills right now, taken at a certain dose, and an exact time every single day without fail. I went so far as to buy a windows PDA so that I could have it set off an alarm for me so that I knew exactly what I had to take at that moment (yeah Im forgetfull sometimes), the other day I took one 2mg xanax with my other pills in the AM (on purpose, didnt feel the need for 4mg), Then i got so wrapped up in my work that every time the pda alarm would go off I would dismiss it, but not get up to go get the pills.

Your probably right, Im now on 10mg a day of xanax, 4mg in the am, 2mg at 2:30pm and 4mg at about 8ish to 8:30 (I'guess I've grown lax on taking it exactly when the alarm goes off). Xanax only makes me tired at night, during the day, it doesnt affect me anymore, just keeps me calm, but at night, I'll fall asleep in my office chair, or on the living room sofa, then boy is it a chore to get me up and to bed, Im so weak when woken up that I have to use a cane to stumble to bed.

Anyway, the doctors got me on so much medication that I couldnt even make it to work today, (300 mile drive round trip), 10mg xanax, 160mg lasix, 160mg diovan, 40mg lexapro, and some huge 105mg appetite suppressant that my pharmasist insists is normally dealt out in 30mg, and my docs got me on 105mg a day, but says I can only use it for 2 weeks at a time then have to take a week off otherwise it wont work on the weeks after 2 or 3 weeks without a break from it. Damn stuff is like amphetimines, can keep me up all night from one pill taken at 11:30am.

Now Im peeing like crazy because of the 160mg lasix, and drinking that foul tastinggatorade stuff (no offense to those that like gatorade) per the docs instructions and eating 3 bananas a day to keep up the potasium because he's got me on 160mg of lasix per day, when the pharmasist says most people only take 20 or 40 mg once or twice a day, but what ever it takes to get my feet back into a pair of shoes, I lost 6 1/2lbs of water retention yesterday in about 5 hours alone, havnt checked today yet, Im afraid to since my ankles look really swollen today more then yesterday. But I see the doc either this friday or next.

I think the doctor is using the xanax more for a treatement or substitute for alcohol, since I am a functioning alcoholic (that is to say that I get up for work, I keep my house tidy, I dont drink and drive, I go t work either in front of my computer, or at clients business's, but when I get home, come 3pm or 5pm, I start drinking the bourbon and diet coke till I finish off a 750ml bottle of burbonor more to my head. Since he prescribed the xanax I havnt had a drop of alcohol, havnt had the desire for any, and sadly the doctor informed me that unless I end up going for serious serious psycholological guidance or counceling to find out why I drink like I do, then I'll probably be on xanax the rest of my life. I dont see myself needing any more of it, seems 10mg a day is plenty since sometimes I take less, but the good part of the xanax is that I no longer get those nasty anxiety attacks right after taking a shower that starts with a cough, turns into a gag attack then eventually a vomit attack, I havnt had one of those at any time since starting the xanax 3 or 4 months ago, heck I use to get those attacks just thinking about spending $100.00 on a nice pair of pants and shirt.

Okay sorry for rambling sometimes I just need to do so to get things off my chest.Edited by: kuplo

15. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That is a large amount of xanax to be taking! You may want to consider the Xtended Release xanax if you don't have time to take the extra pills throughout the day, its the samexanax but just with a time release coating so it reaches its peak in about 6-7 hours instead of about 2 or 3 hours, it is a lot more expensive though. Actually kind of think of it, it could costs hundreds and hundredsfor a rx of that much xanax xr. Just keep your head up, sounds like you are doing pretty good following your doctors orders, good luck to you.

16. no-go

no-go Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Clonazepam + caffeine Pharmacology

Swim used caffeine excessively for YEARS (fresh brewed coffee, not energy drinks) to the point of abuse and addiction, during which time swim absolutely loved caffeine: got "high", got energy, reduced stress, reduced anxiety, increase productivity, headache and pain relief, etc. Half a year after cessation of coffee for health reasons (pre-ulcer) intermittent use of caffeine has proven entirely ineffective. Swim has used MPH and amps as an alternative since, and suspects those drugs conditioned him against caffeine.

A while on Clonazepam, and swim tried coffee for lack of anything else. The result was amazing. Euphoric and energetic. Way euphoric. Well, maybe more happy than euphoric. But even a coca-cola or two works. The effect is most noticeable if coffee or tea is taken 30 minutes after the clonazepam dose. Swim wonders why this would be. Preliminary google search provides few answers, except confirming various xanthines interact with clonazepam, no clue as to how. Swim's friends also testify caffeine + clonazepam combination beats amp or mph + clonazepam.

It almost seems clonazepam has repaired all the damage to the adenosine receptors.

What's going on? What are the pharmacological reasons clonazepam and caffeine work so well together? Is this a combo. worth pursuing? P.S. Since swim never really got "high" from clonazepam, its anxiolitic effects were not diminished by caffeine. Only the drowsiness.

TIA.

17. P1-O2

P1-O2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I know this thread is incredibly old. I'll take my strikes if that's the case.

Ever since I was put on Ativan (Lorazepam), I've kept a log of my daily intake of various substances. Over time I noticed a trend with caffeine, Ativan, and Valerian Root. I dosed ~2g valerian root tilled powder in capsules about 45-60 minutes ahead of any further dosing. This brings upon a relaxed/faded feeling. I follow up with 1mg of Ativan after ~90 minutes from taking Valerian Root, then dose 0.5mg of Ativan every 45 minutes until I reach 2mg total. For the caffeine, I start consuming quantities of about 15-25mg of caffeine per five minutes after the third dose of ativan.

To break it down, the time I start consuming Caffeine is:
    Valerian Root - 180 minutes before
    Ativan 1mg - 90 minutes before
    Ativan 0.5 boost - 45 minutes before
    Ativan 0.5 boost - Caffeine starts now.

Note: I follow this dose chart strictly because lorazepam takes ~90 minutes to fully peak. By the time I start consuming caffeine, the initial dose (half of the total dose = 1mg) is at peak levels, and the booster has already had time to climb. Because caffeine consumption starts immediately following the second booster, benzo levels continue climbing in the blood which adds to the effect. (Based off of rudimentary knowledge of chemistry and experience)

When I follow this regimen (Valerian Root can be excluded but mix feels less effective) I regularly get an entirely different headspace. I feel dissociated from the benzos, relaxed mentally and physically. Once the caffeine starts, I feel it almost immediately. Focus an alertness spike up for the first 45-60 minutes, then dwindles. Euphoria spikes up for the first 60-90 minutes, then fades.

Note: I have notice that caffeine can clash with Benzos when dosed improperly. Dosing caffeine more than 60 minutes after &quot;peak&quot; levels are reached seems to elicit some negative side effects (anxiety, jitters) and is less euphoric. I haven't logged this effect, and would be very interested to hear others experiences.

Personally, I had no idea Caffeine could be euphoric and exciting like this.
    My favorite way to get through a shift at work, while listening to music. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  18. mkultra5979

mkultra5979 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o Male from Greece
    First of all, I am following a strictly program with my doctor - detox from alprazolam, GAD and major depression - with high dosages of diazepam (prescribed from ny doc). As you can understand I use diazepam morning (30 mgs) afternoon (20 mgs) and night (30 mgs).
    Secondly, many years now I'm addicted to caffeine - I need at least 5 espressos or 3 cups of filtered coffee. If I don't take "my dose of caffeine", I'm becoming very irritable and have awfull headaches.
    Coming to the conclusion, I do not find that caffeine (300+ mgs) reduces the anxiolytics effects of diazepam. I have searched this issue (use Google Scholar, it's awesome) and I found that high dosages of caffeine (coffee or energy drinks) antagonizes the diazepam effects - including anticonvulsant effects.
    But, every person is different, every body is different, so It's normal to have many different opinions.
    Anyway, personally I do not feel that caffeine (300+ mgs, meaning at least 2 cups filtered coffe...) interacts with diazepam and alprazolam (at the past) - BUT IN MY BODY.!!!
    The scientifics researches say that caffeine antagonizes benzodiazepines effects.
    Right now (greetings from sunny Greece.!), I'm drinking the 4th cup of filtered coffee and still feel the anxiolytics effects (I'm not interesting anymore to get high) of diazepam.
    Last, but not least, If you search for an answer, you must have in your mind some things: your benzo tolerance, your caffeine tolerance, the dosage of the benzo, the type of benzo (for example alprazolam is 20 times stronger than diazepam) and your (daily) caffeine dosage.
    Thank you for reading.
    Know your body, stay safe and stay away from (long use) of benzodiazepines.!:)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  19. yumyumgimmesome

yumyumgimmesome Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    xanax, as well as klonopin are ungodly more potent than almost any amount of caffeine it would take to counteract the effects. I'm on klonopin, and regularly drink energy drinks, and even asked my Dr about it. There's almost no I'll effect or counter activity when combined.

20. tom_foolery

tom_foolery Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I have used modafinil (sold otc here in Mexico so not illegal) to combat the drowsiness of benzos I am prescribed if I really need to get things done.

have found the dose of caffeine needed to provide similar wakefulness caused unpleasant feelings as well as unwanted cardiac effects.