Opinions - Benzodiazepines or sleeping pills for pain?

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by Fantasian, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    ok a quick background,
    I said the following:
    "Every 2 weeks i get excrutiating pain in my abdomen that lasts for 4 - 6 hours. The doctors prescribed me firstly with codeine then with tramadol and finally morphine when it got to this stage. I enjoyed some of the recreational effects of these opiates but thats besides the point. Upon taking these pain killers they obviously sedate me to a point when i am useless that night but at least stop the pain which is a sacrifice im willing to make. My issue is this however. The following day i experience a strong nausia whenever i stand up, i know this is due to the opiates and this means i cannot function for a whole day after my experience. I was wondering whether a high dosage of benzos, dissaccociatives or sleeping pills would be able to render me heavily sedated or knocked out so i wouldnt feel the pain of that night but be able to function at least to some capacity the next day."

From what i heard I would appriciate any advice that one could offer

2. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I believe some benzos, at least Diazepam, has some muscle relaxing properties, as well as sedation. If opiates aren't doing it for you, I would try some benzos, yeah. Not sure how much it will reduce your pain, though. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.
    Maybe higher doses of DXM (but under the tripping doses)?
    Not exactly sure, everyone is different, so things that work for some may be the wrong route for you.

3. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    What causes the pain?

4. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    They still arnt sure, its been an ongoing problem for about 3 years and about every 2 weeks i get an excuciating pain just left of my bellybutton slightly down. They know its to do with my large intestine but they're still doing tests to get a diagnosis.

Originally they classed it as IBS but then realised that my severity of pain was far too high.

5. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    That's strange man. I would think that benzo's might help only if the problem is anxiety or stress related. Is there an external event around that time that could be contributing? Some parasite maybe? - probably not though because they would have figured that out by now.

6. INodHardOhYeah

INodHardOhYeah Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If the nausea is actually from the opiates, maybe try a combination of strong painkillers (ms contin, oxycontin) with some cyclozine or promethazine.

7. skitz0frantic

skitz0frantic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I noticed when I take a good amount of benzos my leg muscles will hurt if im walking around.. i find a little bit of codeine with my fav benzo klonpin gives me the euforia to have that drunken walk without being sore. Might be just me.. but thats my input.

8. William_Again

William_Again Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well just as a precaution (I am assuming you know this) be careful with "higher doses" of sleeping pills as they can kill. Also high doses of benzos can make you rather groggy the next day and in a near drunk state if you have not got enough sleep.

I recently got some Temazepam and was taking it for his insomnia and one night he decided to take 3 pills verses 1 the one he was perscribed...well he woke up a few hours earlier than he should have and went to go smoke a cig...it turned into a 15 minute drunken fight to find his lighter, the cig he dropped and a near impossible task of getting deck door open and closed again. He eventually gave up and passed out on the living room floor.

9. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My fiancee, being a nurse has schooled me down to some cool info about using benzo's as a analgesic.

When a benzo is taken 20-30 minutes after a high dose (600 or 800mg) ibuprofren an analgesic, dope like effect is noted. Tested and tried, and true. ;)

The ibuprofren should be prescription, and caffiene free, taken with milk or a little food to protect the stomach. Every woman on earth is prescribed ibuprofren in these strengths for stomach pains associated with their .

10. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey Kemi - When you say "dope like effect" do you mean as an effective strong pain killer, or as the euphoria associated with pain killers?

11. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yeah, I am very interested in this. please elaborate, prove yourself. SWIM may have to try this, if it's true!

12. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    all I could find on the combination of these two was:
    "Pfizer has developed a lifesaving new pill called Valuprofen. It’s a combination of Ibuprofen and Valium. It helps the muscle aches and prevents heart attacks"
    and that it's commonly perscribed for pain. Can't find anything about "dope-like effects..."
    If I had some ibuprofen he would just find out. But in the meantime.. information anyone?

13. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIJ found Kemi's statement intriguing.

She's done some digging around and wonders whether he's referring a study which looks at whether Benzos potentiate the analgesic effect of ibuprofen rather than ibuprofen potentiating the effects of benzos. Certainly there is nothing on a medline search re ibuprofen potentiating benzo activity.

Given that ibuprofen doesn't cause euphoria the suggested combo is unlikely to be of any benefit to you's seeking that kind of experience.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  14. Sloop

Sloop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from solomon_islands
    Just as a thought, I has heard of some swiss research where cannabis was used to potentiate some form of opiate for increased pain relief with far fewer of the opiates side effects.

I believe they found with a small amount of cannabis with the opiate (swim presumes morphine) synergistic activity gave the same analgesia at far lower levels of opiate than normally required and therefore far fewer side effects including cognitive problems and nasuea and appetite suppression. I remember something about the amount of cannabis needed in this combo was far less than a strong stone.

This study came out just after there was talk from the swiss of research demonstrating cannabis being very limited as a painkiller on its own

maybe worth exploring as swim beleives opium/cannabis combinations where the norm in doctors use not so long ago, but that all got dropped when grass became a bad guy on the block and the multi-faceted opium was replaced by its single faceted derivatives

Somebody else out their may be able to elaborate on the details of this swiss study?

15. Love_N_Bruises

Love_N_Bruises Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Maybe some of the really strong ones might...Because the sedation would hopefuly overcome and make you forget about the pain and just make you want to sleep.

16. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I am not too too sure about human anatomy dealing with medication, but SWIM suggests that You tries taking an opiate (morphine, oxycontin, hydromorphine) via rectal. This might make it less harsh on your intestens (totally spelled wrong). Also, one might try taking benzons (Valium mainly) at higher doses when trying to go to sleep, they have a good muscle and overall relaaxing effects.

17. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM popped a toe once....sort of like you might pop a water balloon. and the ER doc was a dick because I was prescribed 120 mg MS contins already (but I had abused the H E double hockeysticks out of these and had no more). so swim just used xanax. now Im not sure if it was the analgesic properties of the benzodiazapine or its sedating qualities or even its memory altering capabilities, but I had very little pain. hope my experience helps You with ?

18. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Benzos or sleeping pills for pain

Also I forgot to add, but recently SWIdr went to the doctor for a pain related issues hoping to score some percs or hydros. He ended up getting a bottle of weak codiene/promethazine cough syrup, but i digress. Anyhow the doctor also said that many of his patients who suffer from pain and cannot take opiates, react well to higher doses of valium

19. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Re: Benzos or sleeping pills for pain

GHB would work for sure, but SWIF might have to redose every few hours, SWIF would get the REM sleep needed to feel rested the following day, and works like anesthesia with the correct dose so no pain would be felt while sleeping .... And no hangover effects the following day.