Benzos and Opiates should counteract each other?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by ironmics, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    I've started a brain biology class recently and was reading through the text book about opiates. I found that opiates produce euphoria by inhibiting the release of gaba and therefore increasing levels of dopamine. Benzos need gaba to work since they increase gaba's affinty for gaba'a receptors. Shouldn't opiates cause benzos to cease function then? This was just a little thought, since everyone says opiates and benzos mixed can be oh so deadly.

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    never heard not to mix them before,ill lok into it.but I has mixed them before and dosent think they decrese each others effects.but thats just his opinion

3. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Oh if you look around wikipedia about opiates on the overdose sections of each of them it usually says they mostly happen in conjunction with benzodiazepines. Also there is a lot of warnings on here about it. But just looking at the pharmacology something doesn't add up to me.

4. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIdr combines his benzos with his opiates to acheive a "higher" high (NOTE: Do NOT combine CNS depressants, and if You does, be CAREFUL). He has never noticed a cross tolerance and or lesser effect. They seem to go well together in fact.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    A friend of mine, who was raised in the old Soviet Union, fondly recalled having pills prescribed there with 60mg Codeine and 5mg Valium (diazepam) in each. He said they would wipe him out. No sign of counteraction.

6. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    why not ask your teacher about the interaction?say your cousin/brother/sister whatever is prescribed both and youi were wondering why a doctor would do this when your understanding of pharmacology says they conteract each other

7. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yeah I has had diazepam and perocet/tylenol 3's prescribed at the same times. Also Lorazepam and darvocet/tramadol at the same times. However, 5mg of diazepam and a couple of tylenol 3's and he was still fine. Percocet with the diazepam made him kinda sleepy though.

8. somniferic

somniferic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    An acecdotal 'fact':
    my used for years, at low doses of opioids benzos do cancell out a lot of the euphoric effects of opioids. Dangerous mixes of the two tend to be at much higher doses. Even low doses of benzo on top of a heroin IV shot can really exacerbate the effects of the H. Personally, it can be different for everyone, Nitrazepam for example seem to really complement a good opioid high, whereas diazepam at about 30-50mg and above seems to interfere with the high, and also the order in which one takes the drugs matters, for example, 20mg+ of valium before an opioid makes it more difficult to appreciate the buzz, as onset can be the best bit.

9. Ethyl

Ethyl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from portugal
    Benzos + Opioids = Increased Sedation + Decreased Euphoria.

of course if You have anxious personality you can't relax enought to fully enjoy the opiates, so this could be true:

Very Low dose of Benzos + Opioids = Increased Sedation +
    Increased Euphoria.

----
    The euphoria that is felt thru opiate effect is because of dopamine rushes, if swid take benzos (specially high doses), then swid is increasing GABA levels in the brain and decreasing dopamine levels.