1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - Benzos Harmful to liver?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by killagorilla187, Oct 26, 2007.

1. killagorilla187

killagorilla187 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    How toxic are benzos to a humans liver?

Compared to alcohol?

2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Benzodiazepines are physically very non-toxic drugs. They simply don't cause liver damage in the way that alcohol does.

If the liver is already damaged then there can be a problem with reduced benzodiazepine clearance and over sedation, and they should be avoided in liver failure.

3. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    less toxic than alcohol but often more addictive partly because there is no self limiting factor (as with ethanol, hangovers, health effects etc). Benzo's are definately not the angelic compounds the medical profession once thought they were.

*Do NOT link to that website!* [Sorry]

Persistence of cognitive effects after withdrawal from long-term benzodiazepine use: a meta-analysis
    Melinda J. Barker, Kenneth M. Greenwood, Martin Jackson, Simon F. Crowe
    School of Psychological Science, La Trobe University, Vic. 3086, Australia
    Still switching chronic alcoholics to benzodiazepines is often the preffered option. Especially if they are 24/7 drinkers as they risk developing Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome through malnutrition and more importantly malabsorption of thiamine (alcohol prevents absorption).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernicke-Korsakoff_syndrome

(It's quite a tragic syndrome, pyschosis which when triggered is in most cases irreversible and produces a memory like a goldfish - always wondering around forgetting what they were planning on doing 8 seconds ago)

In severe cases of repeated chronic alcoholism the risk/benefit of alcohol or benzodiazepines definately favours the benzodiazepine option.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  4. flashcash

flashcash Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    are Benzos harsh on the liver

SWIM loves xanax and likes all the other benzos, SWIM never does a lot, just maybe 1mg xanax three times a week or sometimes just 1/2 mg. SWIm use it mainly for his extreme anxiety and insomnia, not just for the high (he loves it though)
    I want to know if alprazolam, clonazepam an lorazepam are liver damaging because I had a history of liver disease (autoimmune hepatitis) that is now in resecion, he can pretty much do anything except drinking heavily but I dont even taste any kind of liquor.
    keep in mind that I use this meds with caution, in low dosages and not very often.

flashcash added 2 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

i think its spelled recesion, and it means the disease is not active right now, kind of like on hold.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  5. Riverhead

Riverhead Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Re: are Benzos harsh on the liver

Liver damage caused by benzos is very rare. Especially if You only takes 1mg xanax 3 times a week, that's not much, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Just make sure, as You has a precondition to have himself tested every couple of months. I have his blood analysed every 3 months for example.

Good Luck.

6. waytoofertile

waytoofertile Newbie

Reputation Points:

If you have extreme anxiety are you seeing someone? My doc has me on a med that makes me go in every month to have my liver levels checked, also if you take alot of an opiate like percocet that has tylenol, that severely can effect you liver. Long ago a Dr had me on 2x the recommended daily dose for months and I got accidentally pregnant. They did a full blood panel and it said I had Hep B, months later after being off the percocet and my bloody vomiting had stopped, they said that it was a false poitive they thought was caused by Tylenol poisoning.

The liver acts as a strainer for all the junk we put in our bodies and so soaks up the bad stuff, like alchohol. I still can't drink except rare, rare occasions and then just a sip as it upsets my stomach so much. Did your Hep go into remission by itself or did you have the treatment, and if you did have the treatment was it as bad as they say? I have heard some go on disability for 6 months while going through it. True/ False....perhaps another thread.

Good Luck and Blessed Be

7. Riverhead

Riverhead Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium

benzos aren't opiates

8. waytoofertile

waytoofertile Newbie

Reputation Points:

RIVERHEAD: If you reread this part of the post I clearly say that. Said am on anxiety med, and Long ago was on Percocet, an opiate, that caused liver damage. I know Benzos arent Opiates, I'm not an idiot, completely anyway. Thanks, though I feel so much better now. I will be much much more careful of my wording.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017