1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - Best "form" of Kratom to Purchase: Whole Leaf, Crushed Leaf, or Powdered Leaf

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by ADDlCTlON, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ADDlCTlON

ADDlCTlON Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    crushed leaf or powder?

I don't know which is better choice, crushed leaf or powder? thanks for any help

2. DecoyPencil

DecoyPencil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: crushed leaf or powder?

In terms of effectiveness, SWIM's opinion is that the crushed leaf would be a better option. It is "full spectrum", that is, it contains all of the active compounds present in the Kratom leaf. Some extracts may not have this advantage. Also, SWIM has read some very mixed opinions on the powdered extracts. In particular, the 15x extract seems to get some pretty mixed reviews. Try searching for Kratom Extract Review here on DF and a few threads turn up with some discussion on whether or not the higher price of some of the extracts is worth it. SWIMmers cannot discuss exact pricing or sources on this forum. But in SWIM's personal experience, a lot of the extracts that have a lot of good reviews can be quite pricey. While 100g of the crushed leaf can be had for a reasonable price.

With that said, I will admit that the route of administration is much easier with the extracts. Since it is a powder, it is as easy as measuring the appropriate dose, mixing with SWIY's favorite beverage and drinking. However, determining the correct dose is very important with the extracts as the ratios will vary.

It really comes down to what You is looking for. If You is looking to make sure they get the full effect, I would recommend the crushed leaf. If You is more concerned with easy administration, I would recommend reading some reviews and going with a powdered extract that others recommend.

3. Johan73

Johan73 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from New York, U.S.A.

Some people can better tolerate the powder with the toss and wash method because it is so fine it goes down easy, whereas the crushed leaf might be harder to get down. Some people reported the leaf was the way to go, and just grind it swiyself in a coffee grinder right before consumption. Kratom powders are not necessarily an extract.

4. DecoyPencil

DecoyPencil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Good point SWIJohan73! SWIM typed his reply quickly and didn't even think about that. Powder can also be the actual Kratom leaf, ground down to a powder-like consistency. That is something else to keep in mind with regards to the potency and dosing of a powdered form. Thanks for reminding SWIM! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  5. bella donna baby

bella donna baby Silver Member

Reputation Points:

There is a video on you tube showing some guy grinding up the crushed leaf into a powder in a coffee grinder and mixing it with water. It is like a six min video that migh be helpful to any You that wants to give it a try.

bella donna baby added 5 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

There is a six min video on you tube of some guy that shows the process of grinding up the crushed leaf into a powder then mixing it with water. Now I have NEVER used kratom in any form so I don't know how well it works or what the best route to use is. This guy shows grinding up 3-5 grams I believe. Anyway this video may be helpful to swiy.

bella donna baby added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

sorry about the wierd post I'm still kinda new at this

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  6. Aristokratom

Aristokratom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    Hell all. I was sitting here looking at Kratom on a few vendor sites and it made me wonder, how does You like to purchase their Kratom as far as powder, whole leaf, crushed leaf, etc. I started with the powder for ease of use, the he got a mortar and pestle and liked to take his crushed leaf and powder it himself. It made him think of trying the whole leaf. Seems cheaper, and it may be just him, but he kinda is thinking whole leaves may produce stronger effects?

So yea I think SWIM may get some whole leaf and try to grind and powder it himself. He likes the "ritual" of taking whole plant material and grinding it down with his tools. What do the people/pets you all know prefer?

7. PandorymDMT

PandorymDMT Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Best "form" to purchase Kratom

Basically what You is paying for by buying any other form than whole leafs, is the processing. By processing it by SWIY's self, he could potentionally save alot of money and get more bang for his buck, provided he is willing to put in the effort to research the proper techniques and follow through with them.

8. I<3Salvia

I<3Salvia Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim likes to buy at least a quarter pound of leaf at a time. This way you can save money, and when dosing it's easy to weigh off whatever you need to boil and drink it. If you like capsules it would be the same thing except with powder. Hope this helps. :)

9. Aristokratom

Aristokratom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    Thanks for the replies. I've been away for a while and havent had a chance to get online. But yea SWIM actually enjoys crushing and grinding his kratom with a mortar and pestle. He has been sampling different strains and forms for the last few weeks, but now is ready to make a larger purchase. So he was thinking he could save a little cash, get whole leaf(or possibly crushed) and process it himself. It seems from what he has read, he can get the same effects, if not better, by buying whole or crushed leaf and putting a little work into it. Thanks again.

10. DXMBunny

DXMBunny Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    make sure to really search around as swims new vendor has amazing deals... half the price he was paying for before... and they always give extra and samples with every order! but this vendor is very cheap and automatically provides powder... but will easily give one leaf if they prefer... seriously I am paying half the price he was before and getting twice the product...

wish I could share the vendor and pricing but such is against the rules... so all I say is please shop around there are many vendors! some do have rip off product so be wary also... try to check them out in off site forums or their rep status or possibly comments on them!

11. cyferman

cyferman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    so what then? whole leaf? powder? resin? any conclusions?
    Swim really cba with procedures and would just like to buy something which will give an effect to a few poeple. altho if nothing other than whole leaf can accomodate then obviously swim dnt mind doing procedures. but would rather not =p

also I would like to add he's doing this in specific regard for easing into a comedown, and would like to get a really quite strong noticable effect for a few people.

Any adivice :) ?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  12. arizona79

arizona79 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM's powdered kratom is so cheap that she hasn't bothered to look into whole leaf.

13. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    This is an interesting question because there are pros and cons in buying different types of leaf.
    Some people like the freshness of plain leaf (if it is fresh and not been tampered with)
    However with Kratom what doesnt always hold true is freshness = increase potency.
    I You is using Kratom to make a nice herbal tea then crushed leaf is a good form to use, just like normal tea.
    However for SWIM, he finds finely ground Kratom powder the best, supposedly if You ingests fine powder it "should" increase the surface area of absorbtion which in theory increases potency.
    I think though that there is very little in it from his personal experiences, it would be interesting to get some very fresh leaf and from that leaf make some crushed leaf and also some fine powder then experiment to find if there really is a difference !

14. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    I wonder if powdered kratom is cheaper because it possibly contains other plant parts than the leaf?

I've seen pictures of kratom trees cut into wood slides and cut up kratom branches, which seemed to be ready for shredding into powder.

Does kratom powder contain powdered wood?

15. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    @Alfa, the powdered kratom I get is not cheaper, in fact it's a decent amount more, enough that if I have to stretch money I get the leaves and grind it up myself.

From what I understand and from what I get looks like, it's only the leaf with the stem broken off at the leaf that is ground up that I have.

16. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from ireland
    I dont think ive come across powdered kratom being sold for less than crushed leaf, it usually costs the same. I do remember when powdered kratom took off and vendors used to charge slightly extra to powder the kratom, although these days its the most common form.

Good supliers will remove the stems and veins from the crushed leaves before powdering them. Stems and veins contain the same alkaloids but in lower concentration, perhaps about a third of what the leaf contains.
    So if you buy from a vendor that powders whole leaves (including S&V) then you are actually losing out because the S&V will make up a lot of the over all weight.

Good vendors that remove the stems and veins often offer this material in a powdered form, at a far cheaper cost to the leaf.

I cant say it does not happen, there are plenty of people out there trying to make money off kratom who have little concern for their customers or the tree itself. Im sure that people have introduced other powdered material to bulk up the weight of orders, the most readily available at the source would be the tree material itself.

It should not.
    Some vendors will leave in the stems, and at worst they are like small twigs. Similar to how some cannabis dealers sell buds still attached to stems. Its bad practice and the sign of a poor vendor.

I have heard storys of people finding all sorts of crap mixed in with their kratom, not always to bulk out the weight, sometimes its down to bad processing.
    If people are finding bits of wood, stones, insects, other plant material or anything other than kratom leaf then they need to avoid the vendor they are using.
    Ive heard storys of suppliers collecting leaves from the forest floor, literally just raking them up and bagging them.

17. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Maybe a few times there's been a fragment of a stem in my batches of Kratom but almost 100% of the time it's pure crushed leaf, and I've been through many pounds of the stuff. It would be easy for an experienced Kratom user to realize that there's wood in their powdered leaf I think, though I can see amateurs not realizing it.

18. spawesume

spawesume Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from U.S.A.
    buying powdered leaf product is probably my ideal approach, paired with stem and vein it can be quite potent, a worthwhile methodology for the sake of maximal intake of alkaloids. swim typically measures out a dose, typically between 7-10 grams of plant material depending on strain, and pour it into a fruit beverage, shake to suspend the powder, and drink dat shit. very effective. also extracts seem to be inconsistent in quality, some are impressive though.