1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - Beta blockers work great for Adderall's physical side effects

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by bksabbath, Feb 13, 2013.

1. bksabbath

bksabbath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I took 30 mg of Adderall appx. two hours ago. Once the rush set in, I became very jittery and shaky, which was obviously an unpleasant feeling. I took one 20mg dose of a beta blocker I'm prescribed (Propranolol) and now my body is completely relaxed and I'm free to enjoy the high without Adderall's physical side effects such as high blood pressure and shakiness. I'd definitely recommend having a beta blocker in the toolset for Adderall's negative physical side effects.

A word of warning though...I found this on Wikipedia- "Beta blockers must not be used in the treatment of cocaine, amphetamine, or other alpha-adrenergic stimulant overdose. The blockade of only beta receptors increases hypertension, reduces coronary blood flow, left ventricular function, and cardiac output and tissue perfusion by means of leaving the alpha-adrenergic system stimulation unopposed.[28] The appropriate antihypertensive drugs to administer during hypertensive crisis resulting from stimulant abuse are vasodilators such as nitroglycerin, diuretics such as furosemide and alpha blockers such as phentolamine."

Apparently it's extremely dangerous to take a beta blocker in the case of an amphetamine overdose.

2. bksabbath

bksabbath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I can no longer recommend this. After the last pill that day I took another 60mg Propranolol to try to lower my blood pressure and heart rate. Instead, they skyrocketed and I got severe hypertension. Not fun.

3. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    The increased availability of norepinephrine during amphetamine use may produce changes in heart rate and blood pressure. My own experience of amphetamine use includes bradycardia (heart rate around 40 beats per minute) and tachycardia (over 120), as well as hypertension and hypotension.

Beta blockers can have intrinsic sympathomimetic activity (ISA). This means that they have the capacity to stimulate adrenergic receptors (via partial agonist activity). Propranolol is less cardioselective than some other beta-blockers, which might increase the risk of adverse interactions with amphetamines and epinephrine/norepinephrine. However, 'cardioselective' beta-blockers (such as Bisoprolol) are only relatively selective, so the potential remains.

The British National Formulary (February 2013) states that there is an:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013