1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Bhang cooking clarification

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by FourXFour, Mar 20, 2012.

1. FourXFour

FourXFour

Reputation Points:
    SWIM was told by a friend of his who is in his mid 40's about how the local Sikh community create Bhang and the way they make it. SWIM's friend has been smoking, eating, and drinking cannabis for a very very long time and is close to the Bhang drinking community here.

The part of the "original" recipe that doesn't seem to make much sense to swim is the following, which happens to be the first step.

The first step is take your ground up kief, up to a 1/2 to 1 kilo, and bring water to a boil. Possibly 1-2 cups of water. You then seperatley add in milk, almonds, pistachio...etc Without removing the kief from the water

SWIM believed that it would be better to make Cannabutter rather then boiling water with Kief to activate the THC and CBD's, no?
    The milk here is full-fat always so fat-content of the mixture, even though very little, would not be a huge factor since SWIY would be drinking the kief anyway.

Has anyone ever heard of a similar method boiling Kief in water before creating Bhang or a similar "Marijuana Milkshake" ?

The 1 kilo of Kief is for approximatly 4-5 drinks.

2. al-k-mist

al-k-mist

Reputation Points:
    ok, I was stumped until I recalled scrabbles definition of keif(marijuana prepared for smoking, I think,)
    It is my understanding that the average cannabis in India, where bhang is prevelant, is schwag, and only very few are super potent. This is evident by the sheer amount of weed needed. Not to mention a terrrible fat for extracting, I guess. I remember reading milk sucked, but nuts have lots of fats
    Cannabis ghi would be the shit(that is clarified butter)
    5 drinks per kilo, thats 6 oz each. Definitely schwag , and terribley inefficient extraction
    Thinks he remembers on tv or internet, documentary?, most herb for bhang comes from the government, and its like leafy, etc, nuthing like Ganeshas dream

3. FourXFour

FourXFour

Reputation Points:
    The bud the people here in Afghanistan use is not shwag for the most part ;)
    There is just so much of it... The weather in the areas they grow it is very similar to the rocky mountains of California/BC

I think the 1 kilo thing has to do with poor extraction methods.
    The nuts having fat oils might have a large part in why this works i guess.
    The Bhang here is home made, marijuana is "illegal" but i'd say a good 75% of the population smoke/eat it in one way or another.

The areas where it is grown live off it. (Financially, edibally, and through hemp oil for food)
    As well as other agricultural crops and farming..
    Afghan hash has a bad rep outside of Afghanistan, thats cause the schwag goes outside

4. Highly Intoxicated

Highly Intoxicated Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So my friend wants to make this but I don't think the method is effective. Has anyone tried bhang before or would it just be better to make green dragon? Is there actually enough fat in the milk for the thc to completely dissolve in? Is there a better way to make it? Lotta questions

5. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    There isn't a best. Try both, and see what works for you.

6. baZING

baZING

Reputation Points:
    I don't know that there is enough fat in milk alone for THC to dissolve in it. Traditional bhang is made with ghee (clarified butter, as mentioned in post #2) as well, which is almost entirely fat. I imagine that's what most of the THC dissolves in. So, if you want to make bhang that works, you most likely really need ghee. Otherwise, maybe I would stick to green dragon.