1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Pharmacology - Bioavailability of oxycodone IR intramuscular injection vs oral

Discussion in 'Oxycodone' started by Snipez, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Snipez

Snipez Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I know the bioavailability of oral oxycodone IR is pretty high (something like 60% to 87%), but what is the bioavailability of the same oxycodone IR if crushed, mixed with water in a spoon, sucked up in a syringe through a tiny cotton ball, and injected intramuscularly? Would SWIM get more of the active ingredient since it is bypassing the liver (which would destroy a lot of it) or would SWIM get less of the active ingredient because essentially pills are made to be swallowed and not intended for injection? SWIM definitely feels euphoria from both methods but it's hard to tell which ROA has a higher BA and lasts longer. Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable and valuable answers. :)

2. LostControl

LostControl Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Wouldn't the best way be to inject directly into your veins? Usually IM injections are things in an oil solution, because they are released slowly from the muscle. I'm going to take an educated guess, and say that IM is probably similar to oral - it's not going to be as quick as sniffing, or intravenous, but it's still getting into your body - so you'll get the same effects over time, as it's released from the muscle. You probably have pretty good bioavailability - similar to sniffing or oral - which, if I recall correctly, are pretty high (over 80% if I recall correctly). Still, if you're going to all the trouble of doing the crushing, injecting, etc., why not just do straight into a vein and get the full-on effect?

3. Snipez

Snipez Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've used insulin needles to do IV a couple times and I find it so uncomfortable. Then it leaves behind a very noticeable bruise. I'm probably not doing it right. Since I've done cycles of steroids before, I am used to intramuscular injections. But maybe I'm just not doing the IV correctly.

Snipez added 1 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

i mean SWIM! dammit

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011