1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Blue lotus basics

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Alfa, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Please post info and questions on the basics ofBlue lotususe here. Ways of use, Dosage, Background, toxicity, etc...

2. panchovilla

panchovilla Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am now wondering which plant is actually the "Blue Lotus" of ancient text, Nymhaea caerulea or Nelumbo nuciferine.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. betsym

betsym

Reputation Points:
    Swim brews her Blue Lotus in an automatic dripcoffee pot, about 3.5 grams. Swim waits until after drinking the tea and then have an alcohol beverage. If she drinks more than 6 or 7 grams, she gets a stoned feeling and a hangover the next day. In general Swim likes Kratom better than Blue Lotus.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  4. delta8

delta8

Reputation Points:
    I'm convinced blue lotus is placebo. I have used the flower petals as a tea, the stamens steeped in wine for a week, and a 25x extract, all in doses WAY above what the websites recommended, and didn't feel a thing.

Edited by: delta8

5. Montgolfier

Montgolfier Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I agree with you delta8 - Ive had no effects (other than needing to vomit) from Blue lotus and Ive tried mixing with alcohol - brewing as a tea -eating raw -and smoking -nothing! [​IMG] Edited by: MrCheese

6. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    LOL bluelotus is NOT PLACEBO. Just because you are a hard head does not mean you can say it is uneffective. It would not have such a long history of use as an entheogen if it was placebo.

Try a new source.

7. dclacomb

dclacomb Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hell, a lot of people dismissed Salvia as a placebo until Siebert isolated Salvinorin A and started making extracts.

8. BlackEyed

BlackEyed

Reputation Points:
    Well I personally have never had blue lotus, but white lotus grows in
    every lake around here so i have got a mild weed like high every time I
    dry the fresh petals out and smoke them.

9. BlackEyed

BlackEyed

Reputation Points:
    Does blue lotus grow any where in the united states or is it strictly egyptian ahha?

10. draxon

draxon

Reputation Points:
    Ive used a very potent blue lotus extract aswell as brewing teas... The stuff is hardly worth it i catch more of a buzz from shisha. . . the extract was quite expensive i ended up putting half of it which was supposidly very strong in tea resulting in minimal effects. . . also tried smoking an extract . . tasted bad and no effect

11. mtv jercough

mtv jercough

Reputation Points:
    i feel really dumb asking this. is this plant legal?

12. jj42099

jj42099 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can blue lotus show up in a drug test? And if so what what category would it fall under?

13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    I highly doubt that.

14. sands of time

sands of time

Reputation Points:
    I have no first hand experience, but there has never been anyone, as far as I know, that claimed blue lotus can cause false positives for anything. Like alf said I highly doubt it.

15. 56hoperoad

56hoperoad

Reputation Points:
    Yes, it's legal

16. imaginefication

imaginefication

Reputation Points:
    The basics are basically no lilly or lotus is psychoactive in its dried form at a reasonable dose. i've tried blue lilly of the nile, white, pink and blue lotus (real blue lotus)from multiple vendors and tried consuming them in every way. , I ate a gram of co2 extract (the alkaloids from ounces of lotus), nothing, I've eaten very high doses of the resinous extracts of lilly (w/ and w/ out alcohol)from multiple vendors, still nothing, I madea lotus and lilly resinwith a cold everclear extract which took almost two months, dissolved in alcohol withno effects.I tried eating an ounce of raw petals on more than one occasion to try both the lotusand thelilly, which was extrordinarily disgusting (used honey to help) but still absolutely no effect. I've smoked every kind of petal and they do nothing but burn your throat, all though if you roll your own cigs i was told the blue lilly (not the lotus though)mixed good with tobacco and tasted pretty good, but on its own everyone agreed it burns your throat too much and does nothing. I smoked different kinds of extracts and though they didn't taste bad, none of them burned properly at all, and ofcourse they didn't do anything. If this plant is psychoactive it is only at extremely high doses, or perhaps only when its fresh. Maybe the main alkaloid is very unstable and degrades really fast. Besides logically since it is an opiate it would be a much bigger deal if it really worked and would be more popular and talked about in forums and on drug sites. But even though its been around for a long time there is no hype about itbecause its completely bunkmeister. Im going to ask Erowid if they will label this plant as placebo so no one makes my mistake again and wastes time and money looking for a real medicine and it turns out to be a crappy smoke admixture.

17. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    It seems to me that Blue Lotus, as some(many) other legal herbs, doesn't seem to be working for everyone. 'Even' Salvia doesn't work for everyone despite the fact that it's one of the strongest (and strangest) psychedelics known to man.

Swim's been planning to order some Lily and some other legal stuff one of these days. Kanna sounds also quite nice and Ibogaine. The site Swims ordering seems really trustworthy and good. Below every substance there are listed countrys the product can't be send to and the lists seem quite covering. Swims a bit spectig, though, if the Ibogaine is legal where Swim lives since it's after all quite strong psychedelic. Wild lettuce also seems quite interesting. Hope they do their tricks. Amanitas didn't work for swim.

18. betsym

betsym

Reputation Points:
    Blue Lotus can give a stoned feeling in SWIM's experience but that was after drinking about 7 grams in a tea. She didn't like it near as much as Kratom, which SWIM knows works. SWIM still has some and may try again, to see if it has any effect. SWIM will post the results. If the Blue Lotus has no effect, it will be in the trash can at the end of the experiment. Of course, experiences are relevant. What is a strong effect for one person, who isn't used to doing much of anything, may seem mild to someone else who is a seasoned partaker of whatever.

19. Snowman

Snowman

Reputation Points:
    SWIM made a cup of tea with White Lily which is very similar to Blue Lotus, after two sips SWIM had to give up because it was evident more would cause SWIM to throw up.

20. London_Bloke

London_Bloke Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM and SO tried Blue Lotus 25:1 standardized extract. SWIM hates to smoke, SO loves to smoke. SWIM made tea from .5 gram extract, vanilla and fresh grated ginger. Not bad to drink, house smelled wonderful. SWIM felt absolutely nothing. SO tried 200mg smoked, and now claims it is his preferred "mellow" smoke.

2 test monkeys in the same cage, similar tastes, yet one felt nothing and the lther loved it enough to buy more.

How's that for a zero consensus?