1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

boiling point of heroin temperature needed

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by m4gd4l3n, Sep 10, 2007.

1. m4gd4l3n

m4gd4l3n Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o
    Hi,

I am doing scholarly research on vaporization of heroin.

Does anyone know the temperature at which the drug boils / vaporizes?

This is a study regarding a vaporizer/heating unit designed to be used with as many recreational drugs as possible. The unit would have a cylindrical chamber about 11mm across and 75mm down that heats materials placed inside to an adjustable temperature, in order to vaporize the active ingredients out of the drug.

Wikipedia and Google - didn't find the boiling temperature in a lot of searches.

Chemfinder - no joy, no vaporization or evaporation temperatures are listed.

Erowid - I already searched but if you have a link to specific pages I missed I'd appreciate being shown what I overlooked.

MSDS does not seem to cover vaporization point or boiling point. I just read a ton of them. I even had a friend look up MSDS sheets from the database of the international pharmaceutical company she works for, which handles cocaine as a raw material. Still no joy, no boiling point listed, no vaporization point listed, sometimes a melting point is listed but that doesn't help me.

I realize most people using h use foil with torch lighters and don't know exactly how high they're heating this, but the info has to be out there somewhere. If anyone has a clue where I should look next I'd really appreciate this.

Thank you all for any assistance you can give!

m4gd4l3n

2. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Chemfinder lists the following for Diacetylmorphine:

mp 173°, bp(12) 272-274°

And for the hydrochloride salt:

mp 243-244° (no bp listed, but it must obviously be higher than this)

3. neversummer

neversummer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    72 y/o from The Netherlands
    Depending on the process and purity of the H it will be slightly different, but in the range listed in post above ^. Reccomend getting a hotplate with a digi thermometer and putting some H on their, and finding out.

4. it doesn't recrystalize

it doesn't recrystalize Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up a sec.

Foil? Yes. TORCH lighters? Hell no! No, no, no. That's way too hot. A normal cigarette lighter is almost too hot. If you smoke h with a torch, you're burning most of it. Period.

Had to clarify that because it stuck out to me. :)

5. gonzochef

gonzochef Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I HAVE seen people effectively use a torch lighter on foil with tar heroin, but they tell me it is a skill to learn to hold the lighter at a distance and "chase" the dope so that the foil beneath it is never too hot. Good for outdoor use apparently. I don't smoke, I prefer IV to anything with heroin, so I don't know first hand. This is strictly anecdotal.