brain food formula?

Discussion in 'Herbal Ecstasy' started by tre2005be, Aug 30, 2006.

1. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    recently I have been looking for something that will help him with his studies i.e concentration, attention and memory. so I am looking at a website that sells these caps called brain food formula. apparantly 2 caps provides

300mg Arginine pyroglutamate, 200mg Phosphatidyl Choline-rich Lecithin (30%), 378mg DMAE(dimethylaminoethanol) (37%), 200mg Vitamin B5, 30mg Phosphatidyl Serine, 10mg Niacin (vitamine B3)(nicotinamide, nicotinic acid), 134µg Folic acid, 6.6µg Vitamin B12, 20mg Ginkgo Biloba

now I am wondering are any of these things actually gonna help swim with his studies? or is it all just a load of hocus pocus? at the very least will it do swim any harm?

2. Kristy

Kristy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sounds a bit like nootropics to SWIM. Never actually tried them although they sound good, I have difficulty concentrating on studies too lol :D

Sorry to not be more help.

3. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I will probably buy some soon and see if they work. I will report back.

4. Kristy

Kristy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    excellent, I would be very interested to see how they work. Good luck :crazy

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    A Certain Mouse has found Ginko Biloba to be an excellent focussing agent, as well as Vitamin B Complex (time release, the strongest SWiY can find!), & Omega 3,6 &9 Oils (best if SWiY can find all 3 Omegas in one capsule & in the correct ratio). It can take a while to reach 'therapeutic levels' - a couple of weeks perhaps, but the benefits are splendid in his experience.

I'd recommend telling SWiY to save his cash, & talk to his local health food shop, preferably a small independant one without the initials H & B involved (unless he's seriously skint & they've got a sale on!), & ask their advice on supplements for this purpose.

6. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    nice one kristy, fingers crossed!

You found ginko biloba helpful? swim tried them for about 3 weeks but found no improvement in any cognitive functions.

7. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    The effects are subtle definitely, but A Certain Mouse found a definite difference after ~3-4 weeks. He has quite an intense job, which requires the ability to jump between roles & mindsets quickly, & which also involves research, record keeping & being able to accurately recall & deliver information to people of many differing abilities. He definitely found his ability to function at the levels needed improved whilst taking ginko, & then a bit more when the omegas were introduced. He'd already been taking the B Co Strong for a while, which had helped him keep a level head in stressful times.

It's not going to turn you into a brain surgeon overnight, but I do believe it will help realise a bit more potential.

8. TrippleBee

TrippleBee Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi,
    Ginko works by increasing blood flow round the body, and hence increasing bloodflow to the brain. So this as far as I understand increases the ammount or oxygen and nutrients that get to you brain cells and hence propome brain cell growth, or something basically along the lines of that (please if I am wrong,do not hesitate to correct me as I am very interested in the functions of Ginko), research is being done in using ginko to treat Alzheimers. SWIM have been using GInko for studies for a long time (recommended by him mother), BUT as Micklemouse mentioned it does take at least three weeks to take effect, for me exactly 3 weeks, like clock work. The first signs for SWIM are that he start to remember my dreams very vividly (which is a much welcomed side effect), and from then on effects increase. But it is more a memory improver, I'm not sure about concentration. But for studies it is VERY good.
    NOTE: From what i've read you should not take too high doses of Ginko over long periods as it can cause liver damage (or some other organ, it's been a while since I read the info), and do not take asperin while taking ginko as it can be dangerous (asperins action is too deconstrict blood vessles increase blood flow). Other side effects can be head aches, from either too high a dose or too quick an increase of dose.
    Does any one know another thread with some good info about Ginko? For example drug interactions, as inscreased blood flow, means increased amounts of whatever that's in your blood (Omega 3, alcohol, THC, etc) to you brain, does this increase the damage or good that it does, increase the effects, or is it not that simple?
    hope my info helped.
    3b