Side effects - Breathing problems on Kratom

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by SuperCaesarKratomSalad, Jun 8, 2014.

1. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

SuperCaesarKratomSalad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So since I started using kratom I have wondered about the possibility of kratom stooping your breathing.

I know one of the overdose effects of opiates is that they can cause you to stop breathing, and Kratom works very similar to those drugs. This may only apply to those with a very low tolerance causing you to nod on kratom.

Has anyone had a bad experience pertaining to breathing while using kratom?

Personally I have had issues myself. One of my first doses was not weighed out correctly and I ended up taking too much Green malay and I was sitting down trying to go to sleep but unable to because it was just so strong. I was doing some serious nodding and I noticed my body seemed to want to stop breathing. I recall being jolted awake and gasping.

Ever since then I have not had near that strong of a reaction but when I take large amounts of RVB/Bali and lay down and try to relax, I feel similar like I have to focus on breathing or more like it is uncomfortable to breathe. Note this only happens when im laying down and chilling on a large dose.

I really have not read much on this topic at all so I wonder if I am alone or I'm making too big of a deal over something that is pretty safe.

Thanks!

2. Rentzias

Rentzias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You shouldn't take any substance that causes breathing problems. One's health is too important for that.

3. Openmymind

Openmymind Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So , Some good and some bad news.

If you're using kratom alone, Kratom has no history of any one single recorded death on record.

By itself.

But are you mixing it with any other medications? Alcohol? Marijuana ? Any central nervous system depressants?

This is very dangerous and i suspect this may be the cause of your problem

But I also suspect it to be a possibility that the problem may be the result of having anxiety. I have had some terrible anxiety at times, And it feels like i can't catch my breathe.

So maybe you're so worried about stopping your breathing , that you're psychologically causing the symptoms to manifest.

So try not to worry so much.

But if this continues to happen and there is no explainable reason for it , Stop using Kratom.

4. Rentzias

Rentzias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well it's a concern for me as well since I take an SSRI (which do have sedative effects), but I have read many, many reports of people taking Kratom with antidepressants and have yet to find ONE report that mentioned difficulty breathing.

On the other hand I have often read that true opiates with antidepressants is not something to mess around with.

5. Openmymind

Openmymind Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kratom Is a true opioid. And i have read many things suggesting not to use it with other downers.

Although On the other hand, SSRI's for the most part i've heard are Okay to take in combination with kratom. But there is always a possibility for an unexpected drug reaction side effect .

I wish there was more quality control on Kratom.

The stories of people who bought extracts And were actually being given a combination of Caffeine and desomorphine.

If you're having Negative adverse effects, discontinue use. Or maybe It'd be wise to lower your dosage as well , Op, I find that when using kratom The energy that you get from low doses induces better euphoria than the sedation euphoria offers in high doses.

And it'll also make you worry less about breathing issues.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. Rentzias

Rentzias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  7. Openmymind

Openmymind Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Understandable, But opioid substances can still be very strong. And they are not to be belittled by their stronger brethren , Opiates.

I just feel like down playing the risk of combing kratom with another drug is a bad idea.

8. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Kratom is a μ-opioid receptor agonist, and produces central nervous system (CNS) depression although not to the extent of opiates.
    The only deaths involving kratom have been when it was used in combination with other CNS depressants.

While the plain leaf might be safe on its own, and based on the number of deaths allocated to the use of kratom (0) it is a safe drug it should not be treated too lightly. Every year there are more potent extracts, enhanced products and isolates. Some of these could well be capable of severe CNS depression.

People should be very cautious when combining kratom with other CNS depressants, like alcohol or opiates/opioids.

Make sure that your vendor is good and respected amoung the kratom community, there have been a few cases of kratom being tested and showing traces of opiate medications added to give it a kick, or in the case of 'Krypton Kratom' a very potent Research chemical O-desmethyltramadol which was responsible for the death of several people a few years ago.

If you feel that the kratom you are taking is affecting your breathing then stop taking it.

9. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the advice, while it may be anxiety I am leaning towards it not being an anxiety problem because it's not something I used to worry about. Definitely increases the higher the dose.

The vendor I use is hailed among kratom enthusiasts and this vendors' RVB is far superior in quality than any other I have tried.

Combinations are not a factor although I may occasionally use grapefruit seed extract to enhance the effects.

I'm just trying to make sure everyone (including myself) is aware of any potential issues so nothing bad happens, knowledge is power!

10. snowdrop

snowdrop Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    i'm not sure but i'd think it was way less likely than with anything like heroin, morphine, even codeine etc. you have some other bits and bobs in there that are providing (on some level) stimulating effects on your body. with codeine you have nothing apart from the opiate effect in one direction, you have nothing combatting it at all. also, it's probably a lot easier to od on something like opium tincture or any powder or capsule than a huge amount of plant matter. i mean how much would you need to take???

also, if your vendor's rvb is highly superior and so on, it may be *more* likely to cause any of the effects you're worrying about as it's a more potent product.

tbh most severe respiratory depression issues are caused by mixtures of drugs (e.g. alcohol plus benzo). or just alcohol. i would've thought there was some level of rd with kratom though but mild.

11. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wish people would stop calling kratom an opiate/opioid - this is what will get kratom banned everywhere.

According to Webster's Dictionary:

Opiate - 1. A sedative narcotic containing opium or an opium derivative.

Since kratom does not contain opium, and is not in fact a derivative of opium, therefore it is not a "True opioid". The kratom tree is actually in the coffee family, in no way related to the poppy plant. Kratom can have opiate-like effects because it acts on some of the same receptors in the brain that true opiates act on.

However, I will agree that it is not smart to mix kratom with other "downers", especially in larger amounts. Mostly because kratom has not been well-studied, so mixing it with other drugs is like playing Russian roulette.

13. Rentzias

Rentzias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Cousin Merle,

You mean downers such as alcohol, benzos, that type of thing, right?

SSRIs aren't downers in the same way the aforementioned are.

14. lithilium

lithilium Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've felt like I couldn't breath on cannabis, kratom, LSA... What it most likely is is a sign of stress. Stimulating strands of Kratom like Green Malay used to give me anxiety on high doses. It could also be low blood sugar if you haven't eaten in a long time, which is easy to do with kratom.

But there is no way Kratom could depress your nervous system to the point your lungs stop working. That's just impossible. Anxiety is a loop, so if you freak yourself out thinking you can't breath, it will feel even more like that over and over. This is probably what's happening to you, and you subconsciously fear it happening when you feel the effects of a high dose. Even though you say you've never worried about it before, this is what drugs do! They make you feel weird new things sometimes. Even if you did somehow pass out, your body would keep breathing. Nobody has died from a Kratom overdose due to respiratory depression, and there's a lot of dumb people in the world that it should have happened to by now if it was possible. Just remember those two things, and don't let the anxiety ruin your fun time

Oh, and a rule of thumb ... Don't go to sleep after taking a dose of Green Malay :p Take it in the morning or at noon.

15. Rentzias

Rentzias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lithilium makes a good point. I've had the same experience, whenever I have too much of any stimulating substance, it can sometimes trigger anxiety which, when bad enough, will create a loop that leads to a panic attack. One of the most common symptoms of a panic attack is perceived difficulty breathing, and of course rapid heart rate. I'm sometimes able to shorten a panic attack significantly by recognizing it for what it is and taking deep breaths.

I'm prone to anxiety. I used to have trouble breathing on amphetamines all the time, it was very scary and I was a complete fool to keep using something that caused so many health scares. In hindsight I recognize that it was probably the result of panic attacks. I've become wise enough, at least, to know I'll never take another amphetamine as long as I live.

However no one can be certain if the anxiety is causing this for you or not, so of course, use common sense and if the breathing problem gets worse, discontinue use.