Buddhist monks help UK heroin addicts beat habit

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by pickledsheep, Dec 4, 2006.

1. pickledsheep

pickledsheep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Source: Scotland Sunday Herald

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Buddhist monks help UK addicts beat habit

The reasoning behind this therapy is flawed. "Poisons" in the stomach do not perpetuate addiction, no more than residual traces of a drug in the bloodstream would. The key is receptor and other structural changes in the brain. If this therapy works, its due to an aversion association between the drug and the vomiting, whereby future exposures to the drug would garner an unpleasant reaction. A nice little bit of Pavlovian therapy, if it works.

I just cant believe that the paper didn't bother to double-check the science behind this before publishing this article. I'd be interested in seeing what the relapse rates following therapy of this sort, however. I'm not saying it doesnt work, but that this should be approached with a cautious mindset.

3. darawk

darawk Gold Member

Reputation Points:

It's also entirely possible that the vomiting has nothing to do with it. All we know is they are taking a "special potion", they vomit, then they're cured. It may be that the vomitting is a side-effect of whatever they put into this drink that actually does the 'curing'.

Would be pretty funny if it turned out to be Ibogaine or something like that.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

I had thought about ibogaine being a possibility as well after he posted. That'd explain why it seems to work for at least some. There are other plants that have similar actions to the Iboga plant as well, perhaps one of the 108 herbs in the potion could have an Ibogaine-like effect. I have been reading about aversion therapies all week, hence his initial proposition.

5. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    well i would have to guess that this is iboga. but even if not it could have alot to do with meditating chanting and being around monks.