built up tolerance to morphine

Discussion in 'Morphine' started by Mick Mouse, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Live Free Or Die! Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    55 y/o from Cayo Loco
    I am currently taking 30 mg. MSIR every 6 hours as needed per docters orders for chronic pain and has been doing so for about 3 weeks. Prior to that I was on 30 mg MS Contin twice daily. I have recently noticed that, when accidentally taken in a recreational setting and at doses ranging from 3-5 times recommended dosage, the effects seem to be muted at best. I understand that tolerance can build up over time, but going from 30 mg. to 150 mg. in a week or two and not feeling the effects seems to be rather odd.
    Recently I was at the above mentioned rec setting, took 150 mg., drank 1 quart of beer, and .... nothing! No euphoria, sedation, inability to function, just nothing! I have tried 60 mg. IV and 90-120 mg. rectally with basically the same result. SWIM HAS tried 90 mg. orally followed by 2X 30 mg. IV about 20 minutes apart and damn near tripped, but has been unable to duplicate the experience, regardless of the method/combonation used. What is a "normal" recreational dosage of morphene, assuming one was male, 200 pounds, used morphene less than 2-3 months, and is not habituated?

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    This may have best been posted in the morphine forum, and some of the questions could be answered by UTFSE but SWIM here will do his best to answer swiy's queries. A normal dose of morphine for a nonhabituated individual would be about 5-10 mg rectal or IV, 10-30 oral, depending on the individual.

It is entirely possible to build tolerance to some of the more positive effects of opiates VERY quickly, especially when taking them multiple times a day. I have noticed lab rats double their dosage of oxycodone in a week without noticing that they had even needed more to acheive the same effect til it was too late. It may also be that You has built tolerance to the euphoria but not some of the painkilling effects, yet. Usually tolerance to euphoria will build first.

Morphine absorbs VERY poorly orally also. This may be why swiy's oral/IV method worked better.

Finally, many people report that morphine is not that euphoric, and that synthetic opioids like oxycodone, fentanyl, etc seem to give them a greater euphoria, with less of a heavy body load than morphine gives them.

3. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    it is off-label use but DMT / Aya can be utilized - caveat with proper guidance, set, setting, beforehand determination - to reset most any tolerance. or so say some whose integrity is beyond reproach.

the other pharmacological resetter is ibogaine, but it is not for the undetermined.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Definitely Ibogaine seems to work. It could also be used as a tool to quit as well, seems to work in some people. But itd be best to read up on it before jumping right in...3 day trip reliving experiences that led to addiction could be both physically and psychologically too much for some people as nanobrain says.

5. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Slightly off topic but can ibogaine and DMT be used for other tolerance type issues for example returning a common MDMA user to the "first time" feeling?

Just hypothetical of course.

6. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    not that I know of...but I haven't heard anything saying they CANT, either. SWIM just knows that ibogaine can help break alcohol and heroin addictions. He is not sure that they would return someone's serotonin receptors to a pre-drug state, which might be necessary to get a first time feeling.