Buprenorphine general sharing thread.

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by anabolictrio, Oct 27, 2006.

1. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    [Moderator's Note: This thread is a place for people to share their experiences about buprenorphine although I would highly recommend starting a journal thread of your own for this purpose. It is also a place to ask questions. If you have more technical information to offer about buprenorphine this is best added to the buprenorphine information thread here: https://drugs-forum.com/threads/160680 - Thanks Dickon]

Hi,
    after a lot of failed attempts to quite heroin Swim finally decided to start an official treatment to escape this crappy situation...

Swim will start a subutex treatment next week under supervision...
    Swim want to know what happen to your brain when you take your first dose of subutex.
    Does subutex satisfy your hunger?
    Someone told that subutex is somehow antidepressant. Is that true?
    Please share your experiences. Swim in need :(
    thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2011
  2. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    Re: Subutex Feelings

after almost 2 days of cold tourkey, I started his subutex treatment.
    Swim received his first dose of subutex 2 hours ago.
    The doctor stated that 6 mg. are a good dose to start with.
    I don't know if it's a high or low dose.

After 2 hours I am feeling relatively well, very well if compared to 2 hours ago,but not as well if he had smoked a good foil of heroin.
    I feel really well psychologically, he is quite happy and relaxed.
    Anyway he is still tired,weak and he feels like is legs are frozen...
    He start feeling hungry...that's good,definitively a good sign!
    I am faithful for the future, he don't likes the fact that he has to go the doctor to take his daily dose of subutex every single day, but that's the rule...
    Swim hope that tomorrow with the second dose of subutex everything gonna be alright or at least that he will be able to go to work.

By the time Swim smokes a good joint of charas....

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

Let the doctors know if your You is still feeling withdrawal symptoms even with the subutex. Subutex is a very long acting drug, so perhaps it will take longer for the effects to become apparent to you. However, if by the time of the next dose You is still feeling weak and having physical withdrawals, mention this to the doctor. Perhaps they need to titrate the dose a bit. But it takes a lot of courage to quit, I am proud of You for taking this step. Its not easy to kick, but it can be done, and You will find that each day gets easier. Take care man.

1. 4/5,
      This is very accurate advice regarding buprenorphine, and its subjective efficacy.
      Jul 2, 2013
  4. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy

Yesterday night I have had some problem going to sleep, it was more due to anxiety then withdrawal.
    this morning I took another dose of subutex. A bit more than yesterday (8 mg.).
    I feel better than yesterday,very nice mood, relaxed,somehow artificially happy and active.
    He doesn't feel the need to use heroin but he is afraid that he could feel that need.
    He is doing his best to avoid things that would make him remember those days.
    It's important that he keeps his mind occupied: videogames,works,play guitar.... everything it's ok.

5. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

You is doing all the right things to help avoid cravings, it sounds like.

Keeping busy is very important, since many times what can lead a person to relapse is simply boredom. Activities and work are great!
    You should also try to exercise. It might be hard to move those aching muscles and bones at first, but even just going for a short 20 minute walk can help a bit. Increase the time and intensity as You begins to feel better.
    Many times, people addicted to opiates do not eat as much as they normally would, so when they kick junk, their appetite returns in full force.

This can lead to weight gain, so the exercise will help prevent this as well. Oddly enough some people eat MORE on opiates (I am thinking about Rush Limbaugh and Hermann Goering, here), but either way, exercise is great for taking the mind off craving, and for assisting in the complete path to recovery.

Has You been hanging out with non-using friends, too? That is important as well. Many times junk can become an integral part of one's social life, and You needs to learn as quickly as he can that he can have fun and hang out with his friends while not using heroin. However since the urge to use can easily be brought back at this point, You should stay away from heroin using friends, or being in situations or environments where You has done H in the past, which You associates strongly with H, or where You might encounter H.

These things could also induce powerful cravings, if not actual withdrawal symptoms!

Only after a great span of time and effort can You trust himself to hang out with H-using friends without going back to the drug, but for right now make it easy on youself and avoid them; if they're true friends they will understand why. Hang in there, You is doing great, and I know You can make it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  6. Subuser

Subuser Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I was abusing Vicodin for about a year. I was up to 350 mgs a day and finally went into the hospital to detox with Suboxone.
    They started him on 8mg a day but I could not take the foggy feeling that came with it.
    I have decreased the dosage every two days so that now he is on 1mg per day.
    Since the first day of Suboxone his anxiety has been through the roof. I want to stop using the Suboxone altogether as soon as posssible.
    I have been taking as much as 1 mg of Xanax a day for 3 days.
    Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  7. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy

dunno...
    I didn't feel any anxiety during subutex treatment (but he has only just begun).
    Just a bit of melancholy and sadness... But that's normal considering the whole situation. Sometimes he couldn't get to sleep...
    Swim talk with his doctor about this insomnia,the doctor told swim that is not a good idea to take benzos with subutex, this can lead to a depressive state.
    Swim already experienced benzos cold turkey.
    In some ways it's worse then heroin withdrawal.
    A rich mineral supplement may help you : magnesium,zinc,calcium... vit b6, b12. I found that melatonin is great for insomnia and anxiety.
    Give it a try and gradually quit xanax!
    It may look like a dull answer but a good walk or a bike ride could help you more then a thousand of pills...
    It would be stupid to kick an addiction and have a new one.

Today I took is 3rd dose of subutex: 10mg.
    Swim thinks that this dose is a bit too high. He is slightly stoned,shivers of opiate pleasure... and that will last 24hours! ^_^
    Swim obviously doesn't dislike this... but that's not the reason why he started this treatment.
    If he had took that for recreational purpose he would have took another couple of pills.
    Monday I will talk with his doctor to decide how to do with the dosage.

1. 4/5,
      Good point regarding replacing substances.
      Jul 2, 2013
  8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

The dosage will also be decreased over time, keep in mind. While 10 mg might give You a buzz feeling now, that amount will soon be 8 mg, then less. But by all means, talk to the doctor if You feels the dosage is off.

9. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy

everything keep going very well.
    Except for I am not in the very best of health.
    Accordly to his doctor because of heroin I have developed a lot of allergies.
    He has never suffered before this kind of disorder.
    Now he his allergic to dust,sun, fur..... and maybe other....
    He has a wheezy cough,asthmatic crysis,if he touchs his pet rat he gets itching pimple on the skin... he gets the same pimple if he try to tan, or use a sunlamp...
    well... that's a real pain in the arse.
    The doctor is quite sure that everything is related to heroin,he told it's quite common... and that this condition is probably irreversible.

I have to do some skin test to check what he is really allergic...
    By the other side he is going on very well with the terapy. The doctor give him a dose of 12 mg. of subutex everyday, but Swim prefer to take only 8 mg...and save the other 4 mg. for better days.
    Subutex works great... swim really like its effect, its somehow better then street heroin!

10. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

Heroin and other opiates/opioids can cause a systemic histamine release which leads to the characteristic "itch" of the drugs. Wonder if this has played any role in developing the allergies, or if they are actually a reaction to the subutex. Also, kicking opiates can cause a runny nose and many cold/flu like symptoms which could be interpreted as allergies.

True allergies can only have their symptoms controlled, but many allergies seem to go away after some time due to the shuffling of genes that encode antigens that initiate the allergic response. So even if the allergies are real, take heart that they can disappear after a few years.

11. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy

no problems so far...
    Swim keep going on with the therapy.
    I have cut his daily dose of subutex to 6 mg. without any particular withdrawal symptoms.
    The doctor still give him 12 mg everyday...
    Swim plan to cut his dose to 4 mg. this weekend.

By the way I am still suffering from bronchial asthma,possibly related to subutex or past heroin abuse. He is taking cortisone to avoid respiratory spasms.
    Every week I have to urinate with a nurse behind his back that checks that he is not cheating with drug test.
    That's really embarassing... so I has to drink some beers before and take a diuretic pill.... sad but true ;) .

I have done with Valium and other shitty benzos...
    He smokes very slowly , very small amount of good hash.
    I suffer of "depersonalization", so he must tread carefully with thc.
    Anyway hash makes him sleep better , work up his appetite and give him something "drug related" to do ...
    Don't know if you understand what swim means :)

12. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy

swim keep tapering down. Now I take 4mg every 24 h.
    Swim try to space out consumption more and more.
    tapering subutex is not really hard, just minor stomach upset and sweat.
    anyway the doctor doesn't want to see reason and he is still giving swim 12 mg everyday... ^_^

so I has stored a huge amount of subutex pills....
    swim want to reach a 2 mg. dosage as soon as possible and then going on with that dosage for a couple of months...

subutex is somehow funny and relaxing :) I am in good mood, he can smoke hash without anxiety attack...that's cool.

due to subutex consumption I am chronically constipated ...it seems that no laxative can really solve this problem...

1. 4/5,
      A varied and subjective overview of the member's experience of buprenorphine, as well as difficulties with bowel movements as a result. Valid points.
      Jul 2, 2013
  13. sijay44

sijay44 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

hi I have been using heroin for about 11 years now and in that length of time has only been clean for about 7 months.

I had also been on methadone for the last 8 months or so, taking a 25mg dose everyday. now I has had enough becuse as well as taking methadone I am still using around a ten pound bag of heroin a day on the foil.
    but as from next week I am also going on to subutex but I am very worried about withdrawl symptoms as these can be horrendeous.

what I want to ask you is do you think I will be ok. my life is in ruins and I had alot to get clean for including children and a great girlfreind and family so its time to quit. in You opinion do you think I will be ok with the dose of methadone and heroin use???? also its great to hear subutex has worked for you......

14. sijay44

sijay44 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    doing a subutex detox and struggling

hi everyone,I am just on my second day of a subutex detox. thing is instead of quitting for 48 before starting on the subutex i used right up until the day before starting it. when I took that first subutex tablet I felt like shit, but I have been here many times before and knows the score. swims back is aching like a bastard an swims legs feel heavy and painfull.

to be honest though its not as bad as swims had in the past. at least I was of the needle and just tooting with the foil.I has lost all veins in swims arms due to swims 16 year love affair with various types of drug. first cannabis, then the rave scene happend and along came lsd, estacy and speed. of which the latter I was addicted for a good 4 years, on the needle. then when I could no longer take any amount of speed without becoming a shadow of swims former self. so when swim quit speed I had a massive hole in my life and what was the natural progression for swim?? heroin. and heroin is what has brought swim to his current predicament. I has had enough of hurting loved ones and killing himself. swim needs to be strong and to dig deep if he is to overcome the trials and tribulations of recovery.

I has no magic pill to make him sleep, no temazapam or valium. no longer any fine weed, no alcohol becuse I do not like it at all. all I has is subutex and partial willpower, and people who love swim (mum,girlfreind,sons and a daughter) so I has to dig deep. swim esspecialy hates the nights. lying in bed not able to sleep, just hoping the night will end and that swim can get through till morning. but I has done worse rattles than this and swim knows its only a matter of time before swim starts to feel a little better. but swim also knows he is not on his own and that all over this fine planet alot of people will be in the same dark place as swim, so I take comfort in the knowledge that his comrades are also finding the willpower and self control that it takes to overcome heroin addiction. and alls swim can think is thank god I had the subbies becuse it could of been alot worse as swim knows from experiance.

well its 4 days away from christmas here in the uk and swim knows thats a good time to do a rattle becuse new year is not too far away and swim knows if he stays strong and fights any temptation to heroin then I am going to have a very very good year indeed.:crazy sorry about any mistakes in swims post but my head is up his arse....if any one else is reading this and is going through the same thing then drop us a post..................cheers and merry x-mas

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  15. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Re: doing a subutex detox and struggling

wise move in waiting 48 hours after opiate use to start the subutex...with strong opioids like heroin, taking subutex can actually precipitate withdrawal if its still in one's system.

this detox will take a LOT of willpower and strength to pull off, even with the help of subutex. valium COULD be a great asset to help one sleep, or perhaps a more readily available and less addictive sleeping alternative like sonata, lunesta, ambien, or even melatonin or valerian root. insomnia is probably one of the most bothersome aspect of heroin detoxing.

keep us posted as to you's progress. is You still experiencing aches and pains from withdrawal with the subutex? and what is you's subutex starting dose and how rapidly is he tapering off, out of curiosity?

16. coke430

coke430 Newbie

Reputation Points:

SWIM gave me this paper he wrote in first person to post on the forum. Here goes:

To start off I am new to the forum and this is my first Post but before i started my Suboxone program i didnt listen and it was a MAJOR mistake.

ok here you go. I struggled with Heroin addiction for about a year during this time the only person i was able to look to for help was my GREAT girlfriend of 2 years.
    i had hid the addiction from her for 10 months which was when i first tried to kick it cold turkey without anyone knowing or helping i failed.

i confided in her and she helped me finally kick it cold turkey with her by my side it was a long painful 4 days and nights but i made it. it was about a year later when i started smoking it again a few times a week thinking i could control it i was wrong and slipped into an even worse addiction for about six months i hated myself for it and was afraid this would be it and i would lose the greatest girl ive ever met and i knew i would never be able to quit without her help.

i confesed i had relapsed and had a bigger habbit than the last time. She was very sad and hurt but she was willing to help me get my life back. i tried cold turkey again but it was much worse so we went to a doctor and stated a Suboxone treatment.

I was told to wait at least 24hours beofre taking the first dose at 16hours i was in hell and took my first dose and it sent me into a worse withgrawl causing me to have to go to the ER where they put me on clonidine to lower my blood pressure and the withdrawl syptoms it helped enough so i could survive.

i am now 2months clean and iff the Suboxone and feeling much better. after the worst withdrawls were done the suboxone would help if i ever got uncomfotable or started to crave and withdrawl.

It was a great help. If anyone is gonna use Suboxone or Subutex be sure to wait at least 24hrs since ur last hit before you take a dose. the longer you wait the better 48hrs would be great. If you dont wait 24 hours you can put yourself in a much more painful and scary withdrawls like i did.

if you wait it will work great for you. sorry this was so long i just want people to know that taking the Suboxone or Subutex to early makes the withdrawls MUCH WORSE!

1. 4/5,
      Great point about the risk of precipitated withdrawals because of using buprenorphine at too early a stage.
      Jul 2, 2013
  17. sijay44

sijay44 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

hi and thanks for the post, swims starting dose of subutex was 4mg tablet and that went up to 16 mg and I am still on the 16mg even now, soon it will probably taper down to 8mg and I will probably keep on that for a while as its the blocking effect swim needs to keep swim safe for the time being. I am feeling good now and has no withdrawl symptoms at all and life is good again.

this is swims fourth time off the gear(heroin) in about 10 years and life is brilliant, swim aims to finish swims foundation degree and to give back to all swims loved ones who I has hurt and depended on for the last 16 years of drug addiction. and to swims aunty pat who helped swim and supported swim no matter what I did who is now deceased and didnt see swim get better......god bless you, i love you so so much an will never ever forget you.

and to everyone on drugs-forum thank you for being a good source of information and support.....regards

18. Spare Chaynge

Spare Chaynge Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  19. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Re: Buprenorphine Basics (suboxone/subutex) for detox from opiates

The problem with methadone is that the withdrawal is much longer than conventional opiates unless its done properly. For this reason I would advise that one uses buprenorphine if they are trying to kick. Methadone in SWIM's opinion works better as a maintenance drug.

You is right about the danger of swapping addictions. If one is going to use benzos to kick, it would be best to have a limited supply determined ahead of time. Clonidine is also supposed to help, but I have not tried this yet.

20. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    Re: Buprenorphine Basics (suboxone/subutex) for detox from opiates

hi all...
    I have been away for awhile, I'm quite happy that you you have sticked this post I opened when I started Subutex treatment.
    Well... it's almost 5 months since when I started subutex treatment.
    During these months Swim never used Heroin nor other drugs...
    Swim don't know if this is a great victory... maybe it was the easiest choice.
    It would have been better to take control of his habits before.
    I did also a drug test every week... and that stopped him from buying heroine at least twice....

At the beginning of the treatment I was very faithful and immediately start the tappering.
    When Swim reached the 2 mg. dose he realized that he wasn't still ready to quit subutex. So Swim gradually increase his daily dose to 8 mg.
    Now I am tappering for the second time... I am on 5 mg.
    Swim feel more comfortable, "more ready", Swim think that he will complete the tappering before the end of June.
    anyway I am almost sure that before or after will have a moment of weakness...it could be tomorrow or in a couple of months or years...
    so... I am trying to work on self controll:

if a life addicted to heroine sucks and a life without heroin sucks more... Swim will try to use heroin without being so addicted as I was.
    Swim hope that he has learned this lesson...
    I don't crave for heroin like he did before...Subutex did a great job.Anyway I would like to use it sometimes.
    Even if it's wrong, Swim can not tell to his brain what to want....

anyway I has still one last card to play: opium.
    if I will notice that he can't live without opiates, or that the sadness will be worse then drug abuse, I will try to kick this habit with real spanish opium.
    this may look a nonsense , anyway Swim used Opium for a long long time without feeling addicted to it...

I don't have any other choice... I feel trapped by the situation.

What would you do at Swim place?