Opinions - BuSpar (Buspirone) vs. Topamax (Topiramate)

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by miller77, Mar 30, 2005.

1. miller77

miller77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Has any one ever heard of BuSpar and if you have is it any
    good. I am now taking Topamax and i want to know is BuSpar
    better?
    Edited by: miller77

2. camiroquai

camiroquai Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My mom had an rx for buspar. I used to snatch it from her because I thought it would be cool. I didn't feel any good effects from it. Just a weird "breezy" sensation on my face that I didn't like. Buspar is an anti-anxiety medication and it actually made me feel kinda anxious, I don't recommend it for recreational use.

3. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I am confused: i never learned about topamax. When searching for it on the internet I find a medicine for migrane on www.topomax.com and another site prescribes it asagainst epilepsy. Buspar is not prescribed foreither of those illnesses. Buspar should not be prescribed in case of epilepsy. Why are you on topomax?
    Edited by: Alfa

4. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The exact way that topiramate works is unknown. However, it is believed that topiramate alters the chemical impulses in the brain that cause seizures. Topiramate is used with other medications to control seizures. Topiramate is also used to prevent migraine headaches<TD>Topiramate may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide

i found that info on the net about topamax, the chemical name is topiramate. it looks like it has no recreational values. are u looking for recreational use? because they are totally diff. things so i dont think your comparing them as medication values. whatever, im confused lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  5. miller77

miller77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so am i

i take topamax for pipolar diorder. and for some reason my doctror wants to switch me to buspar? i had no idea what buspar was.

6. miller77

miller77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    bipolar*

7. hippie_lain

hippie_lain Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My doctor prescribed buspar for myanxiety. It works ok but i really didnt give it a chance. It doesnt get you high...i never tried taking more than one dose but it works similar to an ssri. It has to build up.

8. miller77

miller77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so if i take like 3 time the dose i wont get high?

9. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Neither of those drugs are good for recreational purposes.
    Buspar is a non-Benzo anxiolytic and topiramate is an anticonvulsive/migraine drug.

I would strongly suggest you not take those for any reason unless prescribed by a doctor

10. washcat

washcat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    48 y/o
    Re: BuSpar vs. Topamax

I was prescribed topamax for restless leg syndrome (i guess not too far of a cry from trying to anti-convulse legs??) and it seems to work quite well for that. I also take buspar for anxiety, along with paxil for depression - do these 2 work? who the hell knows anymore :p

11. Spelvin

Spelvin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    BusBar has only made Swim feel really dizzy, there have been other effects, nicer ones, but the dizzyness overpowers any anxiety-fighting or other pleasant feelings. I have heard that when tolerance is built, the dizziness is the first symptom to go and the effect is more enjoyable, but to get to that point You would have to go through a lot of unpleasant dizzy feelings.

12. Kernacktur

Kernacktur Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM once got a hold of several 30mg Buspars. He tried sniffing a whole one and ended up getting sick and completely lost mentally. He can only remember spots of time no longer than 5 minutes. It lasted about an hour. After that he only sniffed 10mgs at a time but got rid of most of them. Some of his friends popped them and said they enjoyed a pretty nice buzz. SWIM never tried it personally though

13. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was prescribed Buspar for anxiety and it didn't do a damn thing. SWIM actually called his doctor and said he thought it was making him more anxious. Seriously, Buspar(one) is probably the most useless drug on the face of the planet. All it did was make SWIM feel kinda dizzy and some minor headaches. I have read good reviews for Busparone, but it only works for a very small percentage of people.

14. Ellis D.

Ellis D. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  15. spacelord

spacelord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    When telling that buspirone doesn't work it would be cool to tell how long it was taken. As it needs some time for giving any anxiolytic effects.