Butane lighters: Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Salvatore Amato, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Salvatore Amato

    Salvatore Amato Newbie

    Reputation Points:
    1
    Messages:
    2
    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    33 y/o
    Hey, I'm a fledging to the wonderful world of cannabis, and I use a butane lighter to light my bowl. I'm concerned that since I have to relight several times that I inhale a lot of butane, which can cause brain damage. Do I have a right to be concerned, or is any gas inhaled negligible?
     
    1. 3/5,
      He trying to learn, a lot better than most questions I have read.
      Mar 9, 2006
  2. Solidly-here

    Solidly-here Gold Member

    Reputation Points:
    389
    Messages:
    733
    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Butane burns quickly (and thoroughly).

    Just about the ONLY time you would actually be breathing-in any Butane is if the Lighter does not light, but you take a Hit anyway.

    When the Lighter lights, the flame consumes all of the Butane.

    If there was "possible" Brain Damage, the Lighter manufacturers would be required to list that damage on each Lighter (especially in California, with Prop 65).

    To show it a different way, look at the people who heat their Kitchen by turning on all of the Burners on the Stove. As long as the Burner is "Lit" it's burning the gas. A Burner is equivalent to about 100 cigarette lighters. If there was a down-side to this practice (like "Brain Damage") the Utility companies would mention it.
     
  3. xfactor

    xfactor

    Reputation Points:
    12
    Messages:
    43
    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2006
    They prolly wouldn't mention it untill 1/2 of the population was running around like retards and the government finally did a study and made them put a warning on it ;P

    But Solidly is correct the flame is using all the butane, I don't see in any way your torch lighter not comsuming it all when lit.
     
  4. melt_000

    melt_000 Newbie

    Reputation Points:
    0
    Messages:
    69
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    30 y/o
    it is dangerous if you remove the shield part and then you like hold it upside down to light the bowl and then it will melt itself.
     
  5. Nagognog2

    Nagognog2 Iridium Member

    Reputation Points:
    1,936
    Messages:
    7,017
    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Butane does not cause brain damage in and by itself. The reason butane is implicated with causing brain damage is that if one were to inhale butane to the exclusion of oxygen, then one would end up with with a damaged brain. And some people do this! Of course, some people also strangle themselves to get a buzz. Or inhale paint. Or...you get the idea.

    The larger danger of butane lighters is their failing to extinguish themselves if they have a leaky valve - causing a fire or explosion.