1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking - Caffeine in freebase form

Discussion in 'Caffeine & Coffee' started by Amadameus, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Amadameus

Amadameus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male
    Recently I've come across some information about how to free caffeine from its base in much the same way as crack. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the preparation of crack and some of my friends have voiced concerns about the procedures I've found online.

There are a few videos (which I'm confident are legitimate and not just gags) which detail the extraction of caffeine from coffee grounds and its conversion into freebase form, so it can be smoked "just the same as crack." Here is the procedure it describes:

1) Boil a pot of coffee grounds and water thoroughly
    2) Filter out the grounds, rinse several times to draw out everything
    3) Boil until water is gone, leaving a gooey black 'coffee sludge'
    4) Add pure ammonia in about 1:1 ratio with sludge
    5) Carefully boil away ammonia
    6) Scrape out sludge, smoke it just as you would smoke freebase crack.

This has raised both my eyebrows and those of some more knowledgeable friends, who are worried mostly because the procedures they remember also involved ethyl ether or baking soda, neither of which is mentioned here.

My question is twofold: Can anyone confirm that this procedure for making freebase caffeine is accurate and safe, and does ammonia with "surfactant" added make it unsafe for use here? It's not 'Sudsy' or 'Lemon Scent' and there is no mention of Bitrex on the bottle.

Thanks very much!

2. dr. swim

dr. swim Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Well, you're still gonna be left with the freebase of all the other alkaloids in the coffee bean, your best bet would be to just buy some anhydrous online.

3. Amadameus

Amadameus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male
    Thanks for the information - after a little bit of looking around online, I discovered a good, cheap site that mails high quality chemicals to personal addresses. I haven't received any shipments from them, but I've got 5 oz of anhydrous caffeine coming in the mail.

Thanks again! This is a great resource.

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
  5. expertergaz

expertergaz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    would you be able to use baking soda just like with crack?

6. psykonaut

psykonaut Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Why would you smoke caffeine? You could just get some NO-DOS from a cornerstore and grind it into a powder. I honestly can't see this giving any positive effects or a good high though.

7. AlteredConscious

AlteredConscious Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    SWIM has tried a baking soda 'cracking' method with anhydrous powder in a water solution. The resultant 'crack caffeine' smoked easier than the original powder, obviously. But was still far from 'smokable' for recreational usage. Also SWIM found the taste of the smoke was awful. Insufflation is a much better route of administration.

AlteredConscious added 1220 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Caffeine powder for insufflation is really quite something. It has high recreational potential, and potential for usage as a simple 'tool' as it were. SWIM can experience a little lift should he need it, or get a real buzz from higher doses.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  8. dr. swim

dr. swim Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    oh god caffeine powder is so horribly bitter and disgusting.

and caffeine sucks on it's own. if you want something fun try Jolt energy gum, chew like 2-4 pieces up just a little and park them between your cheeck like dip. GREAT rush.

9. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    That is horribly scary to consider.

Smoking caffeine sounds like an open invitation to a panic attack, and hell maybe even a seizure. Sure caffeine is an alkaloid just like morphine and cocaine, but so is atropine (main active ingredient in Belladonna), should that be isolated and smoked as well??

10. Amadameus

Amadameus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male
    First of all, No-Doz contains additives that are intended to speed the digestion of the caffeine - you don't want to snort that stuff, it burns; and you DON'T want it to get mixed in with any chemical processes either. If you want to snort caffeine or even just find the raw powder, I HIGHLY suggest you use Vivarin or its generic cousin, Stay Awake.
    Even better, some chemistry supply companies will sell you pure caffeine by the ounce at a deep discount to any of these pills. ($XXX for 5 ounces? That's about 700 doses, which comes out to a little over a penny for 200mg. Can Stay Awake compete with that?)

The merits of caffeine aside, I would contend that caffeine is quite palatable. I may be used to the taste by now, but I can comfortably chew and absorb two tablets of Stay Awake through the soft tissues of my mouth. The taste is a little bitter, but the aftertaste is different and somewhat refreshing. It's a quite discreet, immediate high that's excellent to keep you going through the day!

Jolt doesn't have anything other than caffeine, guarana (which is code for 'more caffeine') and ginseng. I'd much rather take the pure chemical than walk around all day with a slobbering plug stuck in my mouth.

PROPER DOSAGE is critical in any drug. It doesn't matter if you're taking aspirin or ecstasy, it's vital to know how much you're taking. This aside, smoking caffeine has no effects other than the traditional ones, but the vehicle (smoke) makes it much faster-acting. That's all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  11. psychemist

psychemist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Just received 100g 99.9% USP-grade anhydrous caffeine this morning. Smokeable and sniffable, both with decent results, and I don't have to do any SWIMming because its caffeine!

Like Amadameus stated, caffine is actually quite palatable, at least compared to nearly every other flavored alkaloid. Insufflated, the burn is mild (compared to, once again, nearly every other powdered, pure alkaloid) and the onset of buzz is worth it to me at least.

On a screen in a regular glass pipe, pulling moderately with light flame kisses nicely vaporizes the powder, and the resulting vapor is mild in flavor and harshness to the throat.

Insufflated, the only major drawback is the sneezes, which persisted after blowing my nose several times. The burning pain was quite mild, however. After I was dared to taste some crushed adderall with my nose several years ago, I've been wary about putting alkaloid organic chemicals in there, but the sting of caffeine is minimal. A small amount of local anesthetic would cancel the burn altogether and leave only the sneezes.

Another common misconception: the freebase of an alkaloid is the only smokeable form. This is not the case, but it is usually preferred because the base is slightly more reactive than any salt, thereby coming on quicker (and in some cases metabolizing faster, too). It's a trivial difference if consuming in any way besides smoking, though, since the freebase of any alkaloid is reacted completely into the salt form once in the blood for a short number of minutes (pH buffers are good at that). If smoked, the freebase's increased reactivity brings the increased come-up speed and intensity which is what makes crack so different from salt cocaine. Smoked salts would have effects nearly indiscernible from insufflated salts. If the salt form of an alkaloid has different physical properties (higher boiling point, doesn't boil before it decomposes) it would be a poor choice to vaporize as an ingestion method, but if the freebase and salts have similar properties both could be smoked.

My 3 cents.

I'd like to add that insufflated/vaporized caffeine is the most profoundly effective laxative I've ever experienced.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  12. Tengu

Tengu Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Just taking a 300mg pill is bad enough, I'd imagine it could only get worse. But is it really worth the high?

In my experience with caffeine its simplicity of use is one of the main benefactors in using it. In capsule form it's highly effective and easy. Going through a more damaging or painful route just doesn't seem worth it. I remember something about baking soda helping with absorbing the alkaloids, by all means, use it all. Inhaling powdered/heated caffeine can only cause more harm.

May just be me, all experiences differ...

13. Frigyes Layman

Frigyes Layman Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Well I tried this I took caffeine I do not remember the amount I used probably like 400 mg of crushed up pills and added I don't remember anything much like one scoop of baking soda and like 20 ml of water and stuck it in the microwave for like 1:00 and took it out I had a foamy type substance and I stuck it in a bag and froze it in the freezer and took out the cold ice chip feeling things and let them dry even after a week the rocks were still together and were still dry?

Please tell me the amounts of baking soda to caffeine to water

14. Frigyes Layman

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    But now I don't remember how to do it or even how I did it right the first time so I would like for others to try this tell they get it right and I've done this counted each time 7 times again and again with different measurements and still can't get it right please help it's a lot easier and funner than the ammonia method and cheaper

15. Frigyes Layman

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    And yes I am determined to do this nothing your gonna say is gonna change my mind I only want answers from people that HAVE tried this and got it right then tell me the measurements you used

16. Frigyes Layman

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    And the way it should look is really white and a crumbly rock when it's dried it should look like chalk

17. prozactly

prozactly Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from The slums of Shaolin
    For some unknown reason people, believe changing the ROA somehow changes the drug e.g. if I snort fluoxetine will it get me high? what about if I plug some tylenol?

A drug is a drug is a drug. Changing it to a freebase form and smoking it is pointless and a waste of time. Give me a white coffee with two sugars in the morning and I'm good to go. That's about the extent of caffeine use. If that doesn't cut it then go to starbucks on your way to work or something.