Drug info - Caffeine in soda/pop/fizzy drinks

Discussion in 'Caffeine & Coffee' started by ~lostgurl~, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    If caffeine is not listed on a can/bottle of soda/pop/fizzy under either "nutritional information" nor "ingredients" could it still contain caffeine?

2. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    1. 5/5,
      good link
      Dec 26, 2006
  3. ~lostgurl~

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Thanks for the link, very informative, though it didn't have the soda I have been drinking (Golden Circle - Light) I went to their website and searched caffeine and came up with nothing so she's assuming there is no caffeine in her soda.

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I'm amazed at how little recognition caffeine is given in regards to beverages containing it. I never see it listed anywhere from tea to coffee to soft drinks. Caffeine content should be listed under nutritional information which most products have written on them.

5. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    It is ridiculous the amount of foods that contain caffiene. Even coco pops, the cereal has traces! I've eaten them since I had teeth! And yes Nate, food shold contain caffeine content.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    A. Chocolate doesn't contain caffeine. It contains theobromine. Both are xanthine family stimulants, but in the USA they don't have to list it in the ingredients list. Caffeine they do have to list since the late 1960's as many mothers were up in arms to find out that little Poindexter and Tiffany were speeding their widdle bwains out. The same mothers were first in line to put the kids on Ritalin.

B. For some unpublished reason the quantity of caffeine in your soda-pop or Starbuck's Cafe-O-Lay do not have to be listed. They only have to list ingredients in a decending order - e.g. Water. Sugar. Fructose. Caffeine. Caramel Color. Sodium meta-Bisulfite. Strychnine.

There are a few websites out there that do have the quantities of caffeine in many common products. Google ho!

7. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIdr is pretty sure if a soda doesn't have caffeine, they would want to put a label on the can saying "Caffeine Free", because there is a big group of consumers out there who just buy caffeine free drinks. So SWIdr thinks there is probably some caffeine in there, probably not alot like other sodas, but nonetheless caffeine.

8. ~lostgurl~

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    You is probably right, SWIM switched soda to avoid caffeine due to all her sleep issues, so if you are right, SWIM's soda could still be contributing to her sleep problems. :(

9. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Also if You thinks her sleep problems are due to caffeine, she might want to invest in a product called something like coffee cruda or something. It is a homeopathic remedy which expells caffiene from you's system. Sorry SWIdr could not specify on the product but it was a while ago when he took them.