Camellia Sinensis: Green Tea

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by INodHardOhYeah, Apr 19, 2006.

1. INodHardOhYeah

INodHardOhYeah Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Camellia Sinensis, also known as green tea has been reported by xxx as being pyschoactive. The writer apparently found that smoking around 1 tea bag worth (celestial seasonings brand) available at walmart (does this count as a source?) produced numbing sensations in the lips and throat as well as inducing visual trails and a lightheaded feeling. I will try this out as soon as he gets a chance, not really sure how reliable xxx is, I haven't read anything else on the site.

Either way, drinking green tea has some excellent health benefits:
    The healthful properties of green tea are largely attributed to polyphenols, chemicals with potent antioxidant properties. In fact, the antioxidant effects of polyphenols appear to be greater than vitamin C. The polyphenols in green tea also give it its somewhat bitter flavor.
    Polyphenols contained in teas are classified as catechins. Green tea contains six primary catechin compounds: catechin, gallaogatechin, epicatechin, epigallocatechin, epicatechin gallate, and apigallocatechin gallate (also known as EGCG). EGCG is considered to be the most active component in green tea and is the best researchered of all the green tea polyphenols. Green tea contains roughly 30% to 40% polyphenols and black tea contains only 3% to 10% polyphenols.
    Green tea also contains alkaloids including caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. These alkaloids provide green tea's stimulant effects.

Find out more about the benefits of Green Tea:
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/GreenTeach.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  2. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    well you wouldn't get a much different effect than from drinking a lot of green tea on empty stomach, you know.

3. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Smoking green tea does absolutely nothing but give SWIM a head ache. He tried it in his earlier years when marijuana wasnt an option because of testing. had no effect for SWIM and he found it hard/harsh to smoke a whole bag of the tea.

4. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    I tried this about two days ago. One tea bag was rolled into a joint and smoked. Felt a little light headed and relaxed for awhile, more than expected at least. Wonder if the theanine in green tea is still effective when it's smoked? If so that's probably the cause of any "buzz" people say they get.

5. crmy

crmy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim wishes to smoke some tea, but don't have any of the green sort. All he has is Red Rose brown tea, does this still work?

Please read the rules, especially regarding "swim" and self-incrimination ----> https://drugs-forum.com/help/rules

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2006
  6. pillz

pillz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have done this before and the end result was a headache and scratchy throat. not to mention it isnt a very pleasent smoke. if you wish to try it, go ahead, but buy some tylenol with it

7. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Green tea also contains many different amino acids, which can benefit one's health in different ways. One of the main amino acid in green tea is L-Theonine. This amino acid can reduce anxiety, make one more alert/focused, help achieve a sense of well-being, and many other things. Green tea is a very healthy drink to drink daily, and SWIdr drinks it often!

8. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not all teas are created equal, so I wouldn't recommend going around smoking teas unless you know of a reason why they would have a higher chance of being psychoactive than the next brand.

I do heartily recommend drinking green tea more often! Try getting some non-commercial stuff from a foreign food market or wherever you can get such things in your region.