1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Can a scorpion get someone high???

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by bman1, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Is this true? Do people really get high from scorpion stings. If so what kind of scorpion?

scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=464562004

2. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    <HR noShade SIZE=1>

Skip to comments.

New drugs craze has a scorpion sting in the tail
    Scotland On Sunday ^ | 25 Apr 2004 | SHAIKH AZIZUR RAHMAN IN BOMBAY

Posted on 04/25/2004 2:46:24 AM PDT by aculeus

SCORPIONS rank along with spiders, snakes and crocodiles as a major phobia, but for some wealthy Indians their venom has become the source of a legal high.

Rich youths from India’s western states of Gujarat and Maharastra are risking a fatal allergic reaction from the arachnids’ sting for the high it gives them.

Men from Gujarat’s nomadic Rabari tribe are offering clients the chance to get their hands or feet stung by scorpions carried in small boxes.

According to police, the dealers run their businesses on the Delhi to Bombay highway, operating from a clandestine base in the Gujarat city of Bharuch.

The enzymes and toxins in scorpion venom are used by the arachnid to paralyse its prey and digest its food.

Although most scorpions are poisonous, their venom is not life-threatening for humans. Only about 20 out of more than 1,000 known species of scorpions are dangerous for human beings.

After the arachnid is set free on a hand or foot of the client - who pays 75 to 125 rupees (90p to £1.50) for a single ‘shot’ - the dealer hits the scorpion’s back gently with a metal stick to irritate or frighten it, causing it to use its sting.

The momentary pain of a sting gives way to an illusionary floating feeling that lasts six to eight hours. Most of the scorpion sting addicts are young urban people and truck drivers on the highways.

Hitchhiking mostly on highway trucks between Ahmedabad and Vasai, a northern suburb of Mumbai, the Rabari sting sellers cater to a wide clientele stretched across Gujarat and Maharastra.

A sting seller known only as Nathu said to the police: "Some are afraid of scorpion stings. I tell them, ‘You won’t die. You should at least try it once, it’s a lifetime experience. It gives a wonderful kick.’ Once a man takes it, he will become an addict and he will have to return to us again."

Sometimes new clients writhe and groan in pain for some minutes immediately after taking the sting, attracting the attention of curious onlookers including police.

Highway restaurant owners said that many young executives from nearby cities and university students were among the clientele of the sting sellers.

One police officer in the city of Bharuch said: "Because of our successful drives against the sellers and addicts of alcohol, opium, cough syrup and heroin in urban areas, young people are flocking on the highways to try the new craze of scorpion stings."

Swimpasted the article here so no one has to use the link. Is this true or just a myth?<BR clear=all>

3. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o Male
    thats Fu$ked up

4. dgetta

dgetta Newbie

Reputation Points:
    do you know the type of venom the scorpions use?

5. jrock0069

jrock0069 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been personally stung by a scorpion before and I can assure you that itabsolutely doesNOT get you high. When I was a kid, (about 9) I accidently stepped on one with bare feet and it stung me three times. The second I felt that sting, I knew I had just fucked up big time. It hurt like hell and I remember the experience very vividly. I can still remember most of the experience and I'm positive I wasn't high. I don't know if they have some sort of magic scorpion juice in India but, we sure as hell don't in the US. If anybody wants to try it, then I would suggest not doing it on your foot, that shit will swell up for a couple of days. I'm sure it will swell up no matter where you do itso, unless your a person who really likes pain with no reward then, I highly advise you not to try it.

6. bubaloo

bubaloo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    someone i used to work with at burger king, who was from pakistan told me "in my home country, people leave dead scorpions to dry in the sun, then crush them and smoke them". im not sure if it is true, but he said it was something like opiates.

7. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    well there is probably a certain scorpion they are using anyway plus were you there when you were stung by a scorpion?
    i mean you can't say that there is no way this is true 1000 species...no way you can say this unless you have been stung 1000 times
    Paul

8. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Eh?

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from ireland
    Sounds as crazy as licking the backs of Peruvian toads and ingesting Guatamalan peppers.

10. OiledMandible

OiledMandible Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Fuck that. I dont need to have an evil looking little monster
    sting me to get high. I've been stung once...swelled up the size
    of a half dollar coin and hurt like bloody hell.

11. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The story may be true, but that stuff about becoming addicted from one sting is highly highly highly unlikely to say the least.[​IMG]

12. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from japan
  13. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    There are many psychoactive venoms from animals and invertebrates, and
    there are no doubt some venoms from scorpions which are psychoactive.
    Additionally, some snake venoms are psychoactive, along with many
    species of oneirogenic fish, frog and toad venoms. Seems to me that
    there was a list of psychoactive animals somewhere - maybe in Trout's
    Notes ?

SWIM remembers getting nailed by an unusual species of pet snake once
    and finding the effect very hallucinogenic. SWIM won't mention the
    species so as not to have anyone do anything stupid, but it was certainly
    not a weak placebo effect.
    Many of the psychoactive components of venoms are short chains of
    amino acids (peptides) or small proteins, making synthesis and extraction
    difficult, not to mention perishable.

Snapper

14. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Does anyone here have Trout's notes that contain this list? What snakes are you talking about? Could you PM swim the species for information porpuses not anything stupid? Swim read on in the nook Nan snorting Cobra venom but does not believe this.

swim knows all bufo toads a psychoactive

p. bicolor and E. tricolor skin secreations have painkilling uses in frogs

invertibrates sw\wim knows is Bamboo worms which are also very deadly if heads are not removed.

Thenorfolk dream fish is halucinigentic

Are there others?

Swim also remembers in Niemoller's catalogue several years ago some kind of scorpion does anyone else remember this?

So is it the stinging of the scorpion or the smoking of that gets one high?

15. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Now we will see kids trying to get scorpions in mayonnaise jars to sting their dick's to get high. Perhaps I'll start the rumor...

There was an interesting account from a reporter for the National Geographic Magazine back in the late 1950's about eating the Dream Fish (Kyphosus Fuscus)while visiting Norfolk Island. Something about dreaming about a party where all the guests were naked, and there was a band playing "Yes we have no pajamas."Edited by: nagognog2

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  16. Diethyl

Diethyl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Does anyone know the particular species of scorpion and if the active compounds have been isolated?

17. Benga

Reputation Points:
    Male from japan
  18. DrugPhreak

DrugPhreak Newbie

Reputation Points:
    74 y/o Female from iceland
    The molecular structures of scorpion venom is pretty much the same for all species... all being tertiary proteins with disulphide bonding. Even if they did contain a psychoactive substance smoking it wouldn't work as this breaks down proteins rapidly. I know of a person that got stung by the deadliest scorpion in the US and they where on I.V. for almost two days. The best thing about that experience was them being prescribed heavy duty pain killers. I would assume that any psychoactive effects, which come after a scorpion bite are being produced by the body.

19. Benga

Reputation Points:
    Male from japan
    there are many reports of it being done in Afghanistan and Pakistan ( notably by "serious" drugwatch organisations) and northwest india, and I saw pictures of scorpion smoking. The entire body of the animal is dried, pulverised, and smoked mixed with tobacco.
    This is apparently often done by opiates addicts.

20. JewishNazi

JewishNazi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Generally, you just die