1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Health - Can Opiates lead to a heart attack?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by eklypised, Jul 12, 2009.

1. eklypised

eklypised Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    swim was wandering if theirs any studies or anything swimmies may know of that says opiates could possible lead to heart attacks or other heatlh problems? cause lately swims been overdoing it a little...4 days ago took 200mgs of oxycodone...day after took 140mgs..today has took 90mgs of Hydrocodone...and this has been goin on for awhile now...swim was just wandering if - should worry bout any heatlh complications...like a heart attack from overdoing it

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. Tussipax

Tussipax Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Overdoing too much can lead to overdose. And an OD can lead to a breath depression.
    SWIM never has never done oxycodone or hydrocodone and she doesn't know if it's a high dosage what you've taken. SWIM thinks the 1st risk of overdoing is tolerance and addiction.

3. Solinari

Solinari Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    It would depend on the opiate/opioid but as far as i know opiates (like morphine, codeine and semi synthetic opiates like heroin) are very well tolerated by the body and i know of no toxic effects on certain organs. Of course i am not a pharmacologist or professionally trained in related subjects so i can't say for sure.

From what i have read however, it seems most opiates/opioids do not have toxic effects in general or on particular organs. That said i believe there are certain opioids that do have relatively bad side effects pethidine is one that i know of.

Personally i would be surprised to see any evidence that would suggest opiates/opioids could be directly related to causing a heart attack.

4. pixplzthx

pixplzthx

Reputation Points:
    Opiates are actually used post heart attack for comfort. SWIM has never read anywhere about them causing cardiac arrest on their own.

.. and SWIM reads a lot.

Respiratory depression from opiates will cause the heart to stop but this is from lack of oxygen first.

5. Spucky

Spucky Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    AW: Can Opiates lead to a heart attack?

Yes, Opioids like eg. Methadone change the Heart-Pattern,
    Use the search engine and look for pro-longed QT-Intervalls

I have only access to a German-speaking Study, but i know some other Pages too,
    maybe i will add. later!

http://www.medknowledge.de/abstract/med/med2006/08-2006-47-methadon.htm
    Anyway, the believe that Opioids do not harm Organs is real not up to date!
    ah, here dozo:

Edit:
    There is a Law-Conflict, so no study`s about Street-Heroin is known to me
    but i know there are a few Statistic`s about Diamorphin (Diaphin) but it`s a little bit difficult to get them.
    Maybe i will ask a Friend!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009