Can Psilocybin Mushrooms be Found in Horse Manure?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushroom hunting' started by smokeymacpot, Sep 3, 2005.

1. smokeymacpot

smokeymacpot Newbie

Reputation Points:
  2. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Psilocybe cubensis can be found on horse dung. I think Panaeolus subbalteatus can also be found in horse manure.

P. caerulipes is a wood lover however.

3. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    There are many species that grow on dung. Just because its growing there, does not mean you should eat them however. There are plenty of look alike poisonous mushrooms out there also.

My stock reply is this: If you do not know for sure what you hold in your hands, do not put it into your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  4. m3thamphetamine

m3thamphetamine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Horses and Goats?

I found a large horse farm filled with many horses in northwest florida,SWIM told me there isnt a farmers house anywhere near and its off any major roads so they woudlnt have to worry about traffic or anyone else. SWIM also found a large goat farm of the same size. can anyone help SWIM with florida shrooms on horse and goat dung

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You may find this site of interest, its based in the Northern Florida area I believe, though it stopped listing locations of fields some time ago.

*Link Removed*

Here are the types of psychoactive mushrooms found in Florida:

Florida
    Panaeolus Subbalteatus is known in particular to often grow on horse dung. Here are some more facts on this particular mushroom.

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Berkeley and Broome
    Cap: 4-5 cm broad at maturity. Convex to campanulate, then broadly convex, finally expanding to nearly plane with a broad umbo. Cinnamon brown to orange cinnamon brown, fading to tan in drying with a dark brown encircling zone around the margin.
    Gills: Attachment adnate to uncinate, close, slightly swollen in the center, and with three tiers of intermediate gills inserted. Color brownish and mottled, with the edges remaining whitish, blackish when fully mature.
    Stem: 50-60 mm long by 2-4 mm thick. Brittle, hollow, and fibrous. Reddish beneath minute whitish fibrils, darkening downwards. Sometimes bruising bluish at the base.
    Microscopic features: Spores black in deposit, lemon shaped in side view, subellipsoid in face view. 11.5-14 by 7.5-9.5 microns. Basidia 2- and 4-spored. Pleurocystidia absent. Cheilocystidia variable in form, mostly pear shaped, 14-21 by 3-7 microns.
    Habit, habitat and distribution: Grows cespitosely to gregariously in dung (especially horse dung), compost, rotting hay and in well manured ground in the spring, summer and early fall. Widely distributed. Reported from North America, South America, Europe, middle Siberia, Africa and Hawaiian archipelago.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017