Side effects - Can Psilocybin Mushrooms Cause Brain Damage?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by upperdecker, Dec 29, 2006.

1. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can shrooms cause brain damage? I had his scariest trip ever last night. He thought he was gonna die for real. He wrote a note and everything. It was getting hard to move and at one poing I couldn't even put a sentence together or control his thoughts. SWIM looked in the mirror and his right eye was crossed. SWIM might of just been seeing things but it looked pretty screwed up. This morning SWIM realized it was back to normal but the right side of his head has felt funny all day. Also, I am the guy who made a post about having different sized pupils but he ate the shrooms before he read your posts about how thats a bad sign.

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Re: brain damage?

What kind of shrooms did You take and how much?

You probably has nothing to worry about, but being more careful with the dosage next time. Magic mushrooms deserve a lot more respect than many give them. Experiences like this are often the result.

3. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:

I amn't sure what type they were but he ate an 8th all at once and they were very dry (the dryest I have ever had).

4. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

sounds like a high dosage of shrooms mixed with dehydration; the main cause of headaches.

Drink plenty of water before, during, and especially after any trip... especially tryptamines.

5. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM realized after about 2 hours into the trip that he forgot to drink. He barely made it to get a water bottle and downed it. I thought he was gonna die.

SWIM also said his hands and feet were sweating pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006
  6. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I took about that amount on her first shroom trip ever and freaked out for awhile (everyone else was taking the same amount --but, they were more experienced-- and advised swim to do the same...she looked it up and saw it was a high dosage but figured she'd be fine), but all was good in the end. Her partner took more than that quite awhile back and sweated through her clothes and had an out-of-body experience. I mean, people have had trouble relating back to mushroom trips, but it seems mostly to be related to trauma which can be experienced and thus one develops post-traumatic stress disorder. Or one could develop hallucinogenic persisting perception disorder (HPPD). I don't know much about organic brain damage relating to mushroom trips...I've also noticed from your posts that You sometimes uses dissociatives. These are much more likely to cause brain damage than shrooms.

But, yeah, I usually feels weird the day after a high-dose trip on pretty much anything and can tend to feel spacey, achy, dehydrated, lethargic, etc. One should usually only worry if this keeps persisting long after (a few days or more) the trip.